Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Slow food and raw food for health
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Slow food and raw food for health Next Topic
Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  09:05:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm just starting to become interested in the slow food and raw food lifestyle
Any other slow and raw food foodies out there?
I'm wanting to cut out all commercial junk from my diet and not support the big Ag-corps and their mutated food varieties. Besides going all heirloom for seeds in my garden, I am trying to go all pure food in my diet...wow! it is a bit spendy for a girl on disability, but I think it is very worth the cost . After reading and re-reading "Animal, Vegetable, miracle" and several other books I cannot in good conscious support the mainstream food market anymore bleah! Just wanting to chat with other girls fed up with the stuff that passes for food at the grocery stores...so lucky that I have a large co-op

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  09:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Annika, I so agree. I am just recently learning more about raw foods and I think it sure has merit. I am slowly but surely removing the mainstream foods from our diet, it is much easier and more affordable in summer, that is for sure. We do not have a co op, in fact when I asked at our local health food store about co-ops, the girl said " We don't carry that here". They did not know what one was! There is a bulk food store near me run by Plain people, and they will order extra of something if I request it, and they do have a lot of organic flour and such. It is a big life style change, but the more I know the happier I am to change, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Reading that book is a big eye-opener. I'm slowly moving in that direction but I'm lazy and when I come home exhausted from work, I sometimes cave into the "old ways". Having my garden and more choices at my farmer's market makes it easier. Come on...spring...

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile
good for you Annika...I am the same Pam...I have great intentons, until I come home exhasted from work

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you gals! We're trying our best to eat "real food" here! I too am looking forward to spring so we can enjoy more fresh garden produce! We're enjoying what we put away from last year's harvest, but anxious for the FRESH season to begin again!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, If I can answer any questions about raw food please feel free to ask! I am not 100% raw but really close. Maybe about 80% raw. I will tell you one thing that it is really hard ( in my experience) to be 100% raw. You almost need to be rich and have lots of time to perpair things such as raw crackers, breads, ect. There are some really, really good books out there that I can list to get you started. But please feel free to ask away! Me and my mom have studied and experimented with raw food for a long time so if we can help let me know!! It is so neat that so many people are intrested!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  1:07:34 PM  Show Profile
I have tried going 80-100% raw a couple of times before. And hands down the diet was wonderful. Your skin looks better, you lose weight, and your hair grows faster (I couldn't believe it). So why is it hard to stick to if it is so healthy for me. My body wants to do it, but my mind wants bread. I think I need to get used to the feeling of your stomach empting quicker because you are hungry and that is the hard part. I think if I made it past the thirty day period I would be ok..but. So Channah what do you eat for breakfast. I work hard and fruit, no matter how much I eat, doesn't do it for me. Smoothie either. Come live with me for 30 days and get me on track.
Jane
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought a VitaMix, I had been wanting one and when I was researching them is when I cam across web sites that support a raw diet, What I have been doing is, twice a day, at snack time, is blending a smoothie out of what I would make a salad out of: spinach, kale,carrots, celery, tomatoes,etc., and adding a piece of fruit to sweeten it. I love these a lot more than I thought I would and it makes me feel much better. I just don't know if I want to use this to replace a meal. I like to chew! And I'm a fairly good cook. But I know I am getting about 10 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Channah, do you have any advice, I would like to keep a mostly raw diet, it could be very expensive thhis time of year, and I am the only one in my family interested. Thanks, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:03:58 PM  Show Profile
very interesting post here ladies...I love to learn from you all!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jane, For me I need something a little heavy so I will have a small bowl of raw oatmeal with a little rice milk and some fruit. Then I will eat greens and green smoothies! I have some really good green smoothie recipes if you would like!

Carol, it sounds like you are on your way!!! The key to a successful raw food diet is greens!! I have read that people that eat mostly fruit don't feel good and say that the raw diet does not work. Here are some really good books that will help you!!

Green for Life By Victoria Boutenko ( this book is all about green smoothies! It is a must read)

Detox 4 Women By Natalia Rose ( this is a great book to get you started. Please get this book if you a serious about raw food)

Eating for Beauty By David Wolfe

Live Foods Live Bodies By Jay and Linda Kordich

I hope this helps you ladies!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Channah! I will likely not stick to a purely raw diet, but it is worth giving it a try for the most part. I am committed to cutting out mass produced, over processed food from my diet and life. And anything that I can read to help me along my organic and pure food path is soooooo helpful!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Annika, Some of the books that I listed have really health cooked food in them so it's about 70% raw. They have great recipes in them!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have never asked my doctor about this kind of diet for my Lyme disease. I will ask her since I'm going tomorrow. But, I have so many problems with food and allergies. I'll have to get these books and see what I can add to my diet.
I already only eat organic foods. No sugar, fruit, soy, corn, little dairy and am gluten free.
The problem is I need to gain weight not loose. So, that will be an issue.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  4:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Channah, I'm interested in the green smoothie recipes! I feel like i can never get enough veggies into my kids...well hubby & I too! Maybe the smoothie thing is something they would enjoy? They are 9 and 14, and not picky eaters at all. Thank you!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sure thing June!! Would you like them by mail or e-mail? In the green smoothies you can't even taste the greens, it just shows the color. Let me know if anyone else would like them!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile
hmmmm, I suppose I couldn't drink coffee, could I:(

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
you can do what ever you want Melanie. I like to drink coffee on the weekends as a treat. It's just all about adding more raw food to your diet and having a good balance of cooked food and raw food.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:16:23 PM  Show Profile
You can email them, Channah...that would be splendid! Thanks a million for your kindness!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Channah, you are AWESOME!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile

Channah,

Would it be possible to post a couple of your green smoothie recipes for those of us who would like to try them...

Smiles...

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Channah, do you think that this type of eating would be of any good for fibromyalia and RA? Just intersted. Because I really do not like meat in form. So I don't eat that. I will have alot to learn, but I'll do anything that helps me with these problems.

Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sure thing Judy!! Here is a really simple one and you can change the fruits and greens around. it is my favorite green smoothie and so easy to make!!

Ingredients
2 cups of water
1 or 2 bananas
1 cup of frozen fruit such as strawberrys
2 handfuls of spinach

Then put all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!!

Brenda, I think it would be very good to incorporate more raw food in your diet! There are some amazing storys about how raw food as healed people. Here is a great book that will really help you, it is called The Hallelujah Diet By Dr. George Malkmus. He also has many other books and his story is amazing!!

June, This is a really good green smoothie to start your family on!!

Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I went to a website calleed the Green Godess ( I think} and her suggestion was just experiment, put in the foods that you like. I've been mixing spinach, or kale, a few grapes, celery carrot and 1/2 an apple or bananna. I worried about too much fruit and weight gain. Thank you for the book list also. It was just amazing how much better you feel, right away.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Channah, thank you for the book suggestion. I will try to find it. Going to back surgeon today to see what he says. I could use soom prayer's, please.

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Prayers out to ya Brenda.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Prayers sent Brenda!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Slow food and raw food for health Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page