True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Okay peeps-

Wal-Mart is going to quit selling fabric in the rural stores! Now what? In our area we have a couple quilt stores -- no fabric stores due in part to Wal-Mart under selling the mom and pop shops. I think the farmgirl sisterhood should unite!

Tell Walmart what we think!

LilA

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile
ours quit a long time ago. Thankfully there are 3 quilt stores in my area.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  7:57:09 PM  Show Profile
ours quit selling fabric a couple years ago. It's a bummer, so I have go about 20 miles maybe less to fabric stores which isn't that far awaybut a hassle. I think eventially all the wal=marts will stop selling fabric out here in the rual areas. So we all have to mke do. At times I really thought of opening up a fabric shop. But chichened out.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  8:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Well our walmart hasn't stopped selling fabric yet, but they redid the store into a superwalmart last year and the size of the fabric dept went down to just about nothing. I think the candle section of the store is bigger. :( I haven't quite figured out where else to go to buy fabric - I wasn't a sewing type gal before, so I didn't pay much attention - but I'd better start scoping it out. It wouldn't surprise me if suddenly that section disappears to make room for...televisions and laptops?

Does anyone know why they are getting out of fabric sales? I can't imagine they were hurting in that area...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile
http://www.fabric.com/
(free shipping with $35.00 or more order)

and

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm
(free shipping with $50.00 or more order)

are my source for fabrics... I have grown to love those two.
I also live where there is no fabric stores.

Also, sometimes I go to
http://www.createforless.com/
(free shipping with $100.00 or more order)
for bulk items, like threads, yarns and more.

I combine orders with friends, church ladies and neighbors to qualify for free shipping.
...a note, I always check out the clearance stuff!

I love to "see and touch" fabrics.. but I do love the comfort of my home and hot chocolate coffee while shopping... and I always know where the restroom is! heehehehee

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures

Edited by - Karrieann on Feb 23 2010 05:31:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  04:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Our walmart finally phased out their fabric last month, after they kept saying "Oh no were not going to do that. That's just a bunch of gum flapping." We have one really nice quilt store in town. I love this store! It can be a bit pricey, but they have great fabrics and lots of them, other crafty things, a great atmosphere and friendly service.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile
I talked to the girl in our fabric dept. at walmart and they are remodeling and she said that as soon as they empty out the fabric they have there will be no more. I'm going to have to shop around for a new spot. Karrieann, I think I'll check out the sites you listed, Thanks so much. And I'm with you, I want to know where the restrooms are!!! And sometimes fast!!!hahaha

Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
My sister-in-law has found bolts of material at the salvation army for me. Wal-mart started phasing out their material last year. This saddened me at first but I have learned to be creative where I now get my material. Alot of my material is "green", from other dresses or sheets, etc., I also scour yard-sales for material and have found some material on-line. I am a "feelie-touchie" person and like to have the material in my hands to check the weight, and general feel of the fabric-so I don't normally buy much on-line, although I think I will probably have to start as it is getting harder to find it around here!

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  05:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our Walmart remodeled last fall, cut their fabric dept. and supplies to half. Very little in craft supplies and totally eliminated ALL embroidery supplies. Boy was I seething!!! But, they have expanded their party supplies to an entire aisle!! Can't figure that one out!!

We have only one quilt store in town and they are pretty pricey. So, if our Walmart completely closed that dept. down I'm up a creek. I have done some online shopping and can do that. I also make a list of things I need when I go to my daughter's in Phoenix and shop then, but that doesn't help when I need something right away.

ARRRR-RGGGGG-GGGHHHH!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Ours is still holding on, even though it shrank a bit. I just keep my fingers crossed. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Kind of ironic since Walmart is one of the reasons independent fabric stores can't make a go of it in certain areas no?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartely (whew, a big word for me). Walmart ran our little mom and pop store out of business but then they decide we are not worth keeping us happy. But, scrapbookers have plenty of supplies. We have a wall of supplies and an isle. Now, I have to go 30 miles to Hancocks. They don't have as much fabric as they do odds 'n ends and furniture. I am also a touchy feely kind of girl. If it doesn't feel good to the touch, I don't want it.

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:08:27 PM  Show Profile
There are very, very many websites with fabrics and quilt related items. Sometimes shipping is free. Some were already mentioned by Karrieann.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:44:47 PM  Show Profile
.... I just want to share.
I just recently placed an order with connectingthreads.com.
Their quality of cotton quilting fabrics are wonderful! Nice weight to them... the cottons from Wally's had always been thin and not of good quality. So, I was very pleased with my order from connectingthreads!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Ours is too!!

We have one quilt shop here in town and a very, very pricey one at that. I can't afford going there. The only other fabric store is about an hour and a half away from here in Green Bay, WI.

I am really bummed about it.

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Some of ours here in PA still have, and one told me they aren't losing theirs since they have the Amish trade...
Go to Top of Page

mylilybug
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Marisa
Otwell Indiana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  9:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm new to the chatroom, but I have to admit, I've been reading the chat forum for a long, long time (which I love!). I wanted to share a web site that I like, and it's reasonable!! It's www.thousandsofbolts.com. This site has a lot of major brands and most are under $4.00 a yard. Also, there is a local quilt store who has a web site http://stitchingpostquilts.com and they have fabric that is discounted plus no matter how much you purchase, shipping is $5.00. Hope this will help!

She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I know the one East of me is loosing theirs in June but the one south of me is keeping it. If we lost that one we would all travel about an hour or so for reasonably priced fabric... sorry everyone gettysburg fabric is not that cheap.

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic walllie world Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page