kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile
I was at Tractor Supply today and saw the chick starter is $14.99 a 50 pound bag. So no little chicks for me this year. That's a bit too steep for my budget. And if the feed is that high, I wonder what the chicks cost. I think if I want more hens, I will get already grown and laying hens.

What's the prices in other parts of the country?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It's about the same here. So sorry Kris!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Wow. We dont buy ANYTHING from Tractor Supply that's feed related. We have a small local business that supplies our feed, and I think that the chick starter is half that price.

I couldn't imagine buying all our feed at tractor supply. That would drive us bankrupt!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:38:10 PM  Show Profile
I don't buy feed there either. I was there getting goat hoof trimmers. Mine broke. Even those were $20. I buy my feed from our local feed store. But I'm sure theirs will be high, too. They run about the same price for a lot of things.

If I could just get a few chicks that 50 lbs. might last. But no, I have to get 25-50 at a time. I would like to get some meat birds, though. But not if the feed is that high.

I wonder if there is a better way to start them out instead of the bagged feed. Any ideas?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile
That has been the price on chicken feed here for almost 2 years. If you think that's bad, hog food is 19.98 per bag!! Even folks that bought their feed in bulk tank quantities have jumped out of raising hogs. That price is for the local feed producer....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile
I dont buy from TSC eaither. Our rural grocey sells chick starter for about $9.00 for a 50lb. bag.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  05:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Yikes! I need to check out the prices here. About a month ago we saw chick starter on clearance for $7.99 a bag. Not sure if it was 40 or 50 pounds, but sure sounds like a bargain now. I don't remember why we didn't get any.

There's a feed store here that has a Spring chick special. Buy 1 -50 pound bag of chick starter and get 25 chicks free. The starter has been running $10.00 in past years. The chicks are straight run and they have a different breed each year.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  06:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Christine, that's a great deal. I'd be getting those. But with straight run you always get more roos. But if you are going to raise them for meat it is a good deal. Chicks here cost about $3-4 a piece. So that is well worth the price.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No Chickies For Me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page