Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Forsythia bushes/ cherry tree question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Forsythia bushes/ cherry tree question Next Topic  

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile
I transplanted a little cherry sapling from my father's farm and have been patiently waiting for it to get big enough to have cherries on it. It's been three years, and the deer keep nibbling on it in the winter, so it's not growing very fast.

Last year I needed to mark it so dear hubby didn't run over it with the lawn mower so I picked up a stick off the ground near the forsythia bush and jammed it into the ground.

Darned if that dead old stick didn't up and grow roots on it! The forsythia just started blooming and I was shocked to see little yellow blossoms on my cherry tree! (really it was the forsythia..)

I tried pulling it up, but no luck, I finally got the shovel out and carefully dug into the roots of both and separated them and then put the cherry tree back into the hole and tamped down the dirt. I hope it doesn't set back the cherry tree another year's worth of growth...

I didn't realize how easy it was to start a forsythia bush. So I whacked off some more branches and stuck them into the ground - I now have what looks like three forsythia bushes growing (really two of them are just branches stuck in the ground....) Hope they grow too!

Speaking of starting trees, last year we picked cherries at an orchard in Michigan. I saved the pits in the freezer, hoping to plant them this spring. I moved them to the refrigerator a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone know anything about starting cherry trees from seeds?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

HERBMAN
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

ROGER
HARLAN KY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  4:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I tried pulling it up, but no luck, I finally got the shovel out and carefully dug into the roots of both and separated them and then put the cherry tree back into the hole and tamped down the dirt. I hope it doesn't set back the cherry tree another year's worth of growth

To cut down on the shock mix about tablespoon of miracle grow in a gallon jug and water it on top of the ground around the roots for couple days this will reduce the shock greatly and the tree should be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  11:33:18 AM  Show Profile
I think its a good idea to put the seeds in the freezer to stratify them, they need that to break dormancy, then plant them a few inches under the soil. They will be a mixed variety, and I can't tell you if they will need a cross pollinator - perhaps they will cross with each other. You need sweet cherries to pollinate sweet cherries, and sour cherries to pollinate sour cherries. There are a few varieties that self pollinate, but then, I don't know if you have any of them. They should grow, and it'll be a few years before you get cherries. Good luck.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Forsythia bushes/ cherry tree question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page