Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How to you store your dry homemade detergents?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How to you store your dry homemade detergents? Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  04:45:16 AM  Show Profile
I am about to head to the store to make my very first homemade detergents. I'm excited about this! Do you use a recycled container to store your dry mixes in? How about wet mixes?

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."
Author Unknown

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  06:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I use a large tupperware container that was supposed to be for cereal. The spout works perfectly for pouring out the detergent.

I only make dry detergent. For my homemade cleaning products I use spray bottles from Home Depot or Target.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Rubber maid dish pan, set inside a picnic basket.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:02:32 AM  Show Profile
I hit a huge Tupperware garage sale last summer... got tons of 70's and 80's style containers. They are perfect assorted sizes for anything I could think of!
One of the canisters I have is the right size for a double batch of dry detergent. It has the push on top, so I can shake it and roll it too, if I need to mix it up in there.
Before this, I used one of those Christmas cookie buckets with the lid from the dollar store. It held up for about a year....

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile
I make the powdered detergent and I bought a pet food stoage container (like for a small dog) from **Gasp** Wal Mart. It closes well and is a perfect size!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:20:03 AM  Show Profile
The cutest storage I've seen has been our very own Maryjane Lee. You can see it on her blog http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/2009/07/fresh-batch-of-homemade-laundry.html

I want to find a basket just like her's and make my own. Makes you WANT to do the laundry!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile
I use gallon size glass jars. I get them from the cafeteria at my office. I've got about a dozen and I use them to store everything from milk (purchased from local organic dairy), flour, sugar, beans, baking soda (purchased in 12 lb bag). They are FANTASTIC!!!! I put all my ingredients for the dry laundry deterget and roll it around on the floor with my feet to mix everything up really well. :) Plus, since it's glass, it makes it easier for me to see how much we have left.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile
I store mine in a tupperware container but, just love the picnic basket suggestion and am going down to dig my old picnic basket out.
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Kitty Litter bucket works well (I make 6 months worth at a time) and has a lid!
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I store mine in a clear glass canister in my laundry area. I keep a coffee scoop in it. I use 1/2 scoop for a regular load and a full scoop for a really dirty load.
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile
I have mine stored in a cool retro-style glass jar I got at W-Mart for $4. It holds a big double batch, and I keep a tablespoon in it for measuring. 2 for a regular load, 3 for the farm jeans! (I also stenciled a cherry design on the jar with craft paints to farmgirl it up a bit!)

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

tawandasister
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Sadiemae
Wolcottville Indiana
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I make wet mix laundry soap and just have it stored in a five gallon bucket - not nearly as cute and all these ideas! Gonna have to find something fun - to make me want to wash the laundry ~grin~...

Sadiemae
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  9:44:17 PM  Show Profile
I am using washed out plastic mayo jars and for the cleaners that are liquid, like the cleanser, I saved the Planet dish soap bottle. My Dad washes and saves jars and I used to think they where taking up space on the counter. Until I needed some little glass jars to put bathroom products in the cabinet. Then I raided his jars!

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just Life-
It's an Adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Dawniamw
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dawnia
Mapleton Depot PA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Dawniamw a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone,

Due to a too moist basement, (I run a dehumidifier 24/7 and keep things off the floor) I make a batch up in a bucket and then pour it into my used 7th Generation liquid soap bottles. They're easier to store in my basement, and the lid works great for measuring and for keeping the powder from collecting moisture.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How to you store your dry homemade detergents? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page