Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  07:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We finally got a streak of warm (high 40's) weather wit sun! Yay! It melted off a lot of snow which of course now means mud- but it also means I got to take Tala outside the other day for some much needed "free" time out in the super big outdoor arena. She was so happy! She took off flying down to the other end, greeted her friends that are in the adjacent pasture- saw I wasn't keeping up with her (I had stayed at the far end), so she came back full speed and pranced to a stop in front of me. Her body language was something like "Hey! The sun is out and we have room to run! Let's go! Why are you running with me?!! Let's Run!"

She kept running, turning around to see I was still where I had been and then running back to me. She finally decided I wasn't go to run with her and just did her own horsey thing. It was so funny! I love watching her out at liberty. She is such a character!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile
How exciting for you Alee!! I have a 3 yr old to start too...this spring. What kind of riding do you do? Show, trail ride, drive? Shery J

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  09:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Shery- I am not really committed to any particular discipline. I like western because that was what I was started on, but I also like English too- Mostly I want to get her under saddle and see what she is excited to do. For the most part she will be a trail horse until I breed her. She is a show horse too but my plans for this year are just the in-hand classes- unless we make some huge progress with the undersaddle training.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so proud of my girl, ladies! Well I guess partially proud of this moment because it was both of our fault that caused it. Anyway I had her tied up to a hitching post/rail so I could groom her. She is starting her spring shed already and her face is so itchy she is liking it to be brushed with her body brush!!

Anyway as I started to brush her body she put her head down to scratch her eye ridge on the wood and got a bit of the foot and a half slack in the rope over her nose. She was standing at such and angle that when she brought up her face it just made it worse and pulled on her halter weird so she pulled back and her halter pinned down one ear and one of the metal fittings was really close to her eye because of the pressure from the lead rope.

Okay so all happened in about a quarter of a second while I was at her side. She had side stepped when this all started happening so I stepped up to her neck and kept a steady "Whoa, easy girl" up and the second I re-touched her neck she froze and just waited for me to rescue her. Looking back I should have just released the quick release knot and that would have taken the pressure off the realign the halter, but her ear looked painful being squished like that so I trusted her to be a good girl and actually unfastened the top buckle of her halter which of course released the ear and got the metal fitting away from her eye. She stood stock-still and waited until I had her fixed before relaxing.

I promptly took the extra slack out of her rope. I honestly hadn't thought she would be able to get into trouble with as little slack as I gave her but I learned my lesson! I am just so proud of her that when she got into trouble she trusted me enough to let me get her out of it. I think that shows how good of a girl she is going to be for me in the long run.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  8:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I would love to come out for a visit. I am trying to talk my husband into letting me come. How fun would that be?! It would be a long drive for the horses. I have been trying to talk him into taking the horses to Colorado when we go for the family reunion which happens to be Memorial day weekend. I told him we should just keep on going up to see you! Ha! My only problem is he has such a crazy schedule I never know when he will be home or not. Well, I guess we will just have to see but I really would love to come and visit.

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!

www.throughjenslens.etsy.com
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
www.hillbilliehoneys.blogspot.com
www.kountrybumpkinfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  8:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Memorial day weekend? Last weekend in May right? That is a big Arabian horse show here in Billings! It will be Tala's maiden show! And if you are coming all the way to Colorado you for sure should come up and say hi!! *wink* Anyway it looks like our camping trip is going to be moved to Julyish. The Tennessee Walker ranch that I board Tala at is having a retirement sale of about half their stock on June 25th. ( www.standingrockranch.com )

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  06:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. Nora, Sky and I all went out to spend the afternoon with Tala. She is SO smart! She got a good work out in side reins for the first time. She did AWESOME! I can see how this will really help her build up the muscles for riding. She was so eager to be out and working that I could practically feel her vibrating with energy.

Nora had fun playing in the sand and Sky just likes going out there because of all the different scents and sights. I think poor Sky-dog gets rather bored with her day to day life.

Anyway I am really excited about this new phase of training. I am going to work with Tala for another month or so using the english Saddle and then switch to a Western saddle. I am probably going to ride her in a western saddle for the first month or so at least just in case she decides to try to see if she can unseat me. I hope she doesn't buck though! LOL I am going to have assistance the first couple rides at least.

Have you guys ever seen HalfPassGirl's "Breathe" video? It is amazing to see what this girl can do! She rides some horses with some bad issues and by the end of the video you can see them being ridden with calm, relaxed attitudes.
http://www.halfpassgal.com/breathevideo.htm

I was thinking about that yesterday as I worked with Tala. We had one moment where she decided that maybe she didn't like the side reins and didn't want to go forward so I just kept asking with a gentle but firm insistance and as soon as she got past that block she tucked her head, found the spot with just the right pressure on the bit and really stepped out. It was beautiful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  8:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I went out to see Tala again today- actually twice because Nora didn't go the first time and she really wanted to see Tala. The first time was in the late morning. It was absolutely beautiful out. Almost perfect weather. Heck I would take weather like that all year long if it was offered! High sixty degrees, beautiful sunny day and no breeze!

I worked Tala in side reins again today- she is really getting the hang of it. But I want to get a surcingle so I can see the rounding of her back to make sure she is doing it properly...Right now I am attaching the side reins to her girth buckles on the english saddle we are borrowing.

She is such a good filly! I love her so much! I can't wait until she finishes shedding out so I can take pictures of her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful horses, girls! Congrats Alee! Working with the youngsters, and seeing the moment when they just "get it" are my favorites!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Training Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page