True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  07:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Ladies!

I have to gush for a moment about my wonderful horse Tala! She is just 3 years old (technically she hasn't reached her birthday yet but all horses get the new age at the New Year) and I have just started doing some basic training to lead up towards saddle training.

I have done a lot of ground work with her and longeing etc, but this week I borrowed an english saddle from the barn manager and have put on her twice. We are working on ground driving and I have even leaned all of my weight into the saddle without getting on.

She hasn't bucked at the saddle, she has just turned to look at it curiously, she doesn't even mind when I let the stirrups down and let them flap (I want her to get used to any and all noises a saddle can make).

She was a bit confused at first with the ground driving and I don't have a helper so we had to work it out ourselves. But she got it really quickly and last night was our second night of ground driving. Now that she understands that I am going to be behind her I am working on getting her to be be a bit more sensitive in turning with the aid of the reins. I know that this is going to be so much easier once I actually am in he saddle as I can give her cues with my heels like she is used to me giving on the ground with ground work.

Anyway for only two days worth of new training she is doing great! Honestly, I could probably get on her tonight and she wouldn't fuss a bit, but I need to wait for that experiment until I have helpers- I don't need to get injured and not have help until the next morning! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool!! Way to go Alee!! Tala sounds like a wonderful horse!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Channah- yes she is! She has been amazing since day one! I helped breed her and then didn't get to be around her mom during her pregnancy but got to meet Tala when she was just a little bitty foal- about 2-3 months old. She was amazing! She didn't even freak out when I carried my baby around with me in a carrying pack which some of the other babies did- they couldn't understand what they were looking at! LOL- anyway she just softly sniffed Nora's head as if to say "Oh! Just a baby!"

She is super kind and well mannered- especially if Nora is around. Of course I have to keep a sharp eye out and I don't ever leave them alone together as even the best horse could hurt a small child without meaning to... but I digress...

Last night I worked Tala with some new long lines that I made- and it is so much better than what I was using before! They are super smooth so they glide right through the stirrups that I am using to guide the lines back to my hands. So I am having to use less pressure on the reins. Tala did great. We were able to weave in and out of the cones better. Tala doesn't really like that exercise. I think that is just something we are going to have to work on. She is great at walk/trot/whoa/back and normal turning. Now I am working on fine tuning a bit.

At the end of every ground driving lesson I have her stand by the mounting block and I lean my weight into the saddle. Last night I used one stirrup and basically half mounted her. If I had just slid my other leg over and settled into the saddle I would have been riding her! But I want to take this step slow and steady so that when I actually do fully climb into the saddle, Tala will be so bored of the process that she won't even twitch an ear.

She is doing so awesome! I love this horse!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Its so nice to have a great horse, You can go through life and have horses but there is always that special one. That special bond. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Alee, what breed is Tala? My horse is an appendix and she is absolutely wonderful too. How did you start out long lining? I have heard of the bucket test but dont really know much about it. Did you do that with Tala? Long lining is something I want to work on in the future. When I was living in Seattle I worked in hippotherapy (a type of therapeutic horseback riding) and there I learned a lot about long lining and how important it is for hippotherapy. I started working with my horse a while back ago but unfortunately it faded, and I really need to get back into it again with her.

Victoria I absolutely agree with you. Women and horses have such as special bond. I do not think any horse could ever replace my Dolly.

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975

Edited by - Kerbear on Feb 18 2010 12:22:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kerry- well it was a bit touch and go the first time because Tala is such an in-your-pocket type of horse- she is always coming up for snuggles and kisses. She will even free longe around me in an areana because she just doesn't like to "leave".

So what I did was I hooked up the long lines to the bit and threaded them through the stirrups since I am using a saddle instead of a training surcingle. Then I walked next to her a little to get her a bit used to pressure on the bit. Then I told her to whoa and stand which is a command she knows and walked behind her and adjusted the long lines. I made sure I was a good 10 feet back or so and then I gave her the command for walk on and slapped the lines lightly on her flanks as I gave the voice command (I want her to get used to a nudge from my heels). At first she kept trying to turn to look at me and we had lots of adjustments with the reins, but eventually she evened out and I praised the heck out of her. She is very quick to respond to praise.

I made sure to end on a positive note with lots of praise and scratches, and I have been trying to keep the training sessions relatively short- about 30 minutes.

I hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! You have motivated me to get started on that it again. It would be so good for us!

Thanks Again!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh and Ker ry- I forgot to say- Tala is Straight Egyptian Arabian. She is by an imported English Stallion (HS Infinite) and out of a sweet black mare (Thee Fancy Lady). Sadly, her sire had to be put to sleep in December from a broken leg!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
She is a beautiful horse Alee!! She must love you to bits!! Thank you so much for sharing her story with me!! That was very sweet of you!! I wish I could meet her!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  9:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, that picture of Tala looks just like my Infidel geldling! I rode him today and he was such a good boy. Who is her grandsire on the dam side? So glad you are having such good success with her. You are on the right track with her and just think it won't be long before you will be riding her! How fun will that be. To be able to ride your baby. If you are anything like me you will cry. I remember the first time all my babies had their first rides. I cried just like it was my kiddos going to kindergarten. Ha! Keep up the good work!
Jennifer

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!

www.throughjenslens.etsy.com
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
www.hillbilliehoneys.blogspot.com
www.kountrybumpkinfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  11:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer-

Tala's grand sires on her dam side are RHR Safar (Thee Desperado) and RU Serr Faasad (Straight Babson).

I love that picture but the only thing is I wish I had gotten a better angle of her eyes so you could see how amazingly large and dark they are!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Species
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jan
CT
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  04:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting about Tala. She is really cute! Don't you think that horses teach us patience? It's the building the relationship that takes time and I found the more done on the ground rather than in the saddle, the better the ride. Good luck and enjoy the journey. jan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I certainly agree Jan! Horses are great about educating people! I find that when I am working with Tala she helps me destress and decompress and at that point I am able to listen better and learn from her. We have been doing really well so far in our training of each other- she has always been a great girl, but she is so much more in tune with me lately.

Fore example- the other day I was round penning her with her bridle on just so she could get used to wearing it without any pressure from reins on the bit and such. It was a new bridle and something about it just wasn't making me happy about it but I couldn't put my finger on it. So when the barn manager (an much more experienced horsewoman) walked by, I asked her to take a look at it for me. While all this was happening, Tala was "feeling her oats" and cantering around the round pen at her own speed (I didn't ask her to canter- that was her decision) When Deb said sure she would look at the Bridle I turned back to Tala and said "Whoa" My sweet beautiful girl didn't take a single step forward- she immediatly rocked back and slid to a stop and stood stock still as I walked up to her and led her by the cavesson to Deb. Deb laughed and said "Show off!" to Tala! It was so funny.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:18:55 AM  Show Profile

Hey Alee here is my gelding, He is sired by Thee Infidel out of a Minstril daughter. I have been riding him in Dressage. Hoping to get to show him again soon. The bubble picture was from about 2yrs ago. He has grown so much since then. He stands at 15.2 hh. A very nice height for me since I am 6ft tall.

Farmgirl Sister #561

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What a beauty Jennifer!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer and Alee,
Both of your horses are beautiful, and they look so much alike! Thank you for sharing your pictures! I love the bubbles Jennifer!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  7:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it amazing how The Minstril line is so strongly stamped in both of them! Tala is one of the few HS Infinte babies out there. I can't wait to clean her up this spring and get some great pictures!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  8:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Kerry. Tala's great grandsire Thee Desperado is my geldings grandsire. I know Alee will have and already has as much fun with her girl as I have had with my boy. I have had him Alee since he was 4 months old and he is now 6. I plan on keeping him and riding him in the Dressage ring. He has been trained up to First Level and was doing 2nd and 3rd level movements. He is much further along than I am. But that is a good thing. This way I can concentrate on my riding while he knows what to do. By the way he is the horse they called Alee at the training barn. :)

Farmgirl Sister #561

Edited by - arabianhorselover on Feb 19 2010 8:22:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  9:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer- That is too funny! :D Someday you will have to bring him up and we could do a horse ride through Yellowstone Park!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Species
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jan
CT
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  1:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Alee I've just got to know in the heck you can stand to train your horse in the winter. Maybe I'm a wimp, but the snow and ice here makes for uneven footing for me and my horse, Topper, but most of all I hate being cold (he's kind of a thin skinned guy too). We both can't wait for Spring. We went out for a walk today and saw a blue bird. I guess I'm just a fair weather farmgirl. jan

"Getting old aint for sissies" Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jan- I am totally spoiled and board at a barn that has a semi heated indoor arena (it's heated but they rarely turn it on) It's been a balmy 50-60 degrees in there all winter- maybe warmer!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora rode Tala today- she feels more comfortable when there is a saddle on :D Tala did great! She is very soft and gentle towards Nora. Tala was out for her daily free time in the large indoor arena when I showed up. She was at the far end of the arena when I walked in. She immediatly saw me and came running full speed to see me. She is such a sweet girl! I bet if we were trail riding and something happened- she wouldn't leave me or if she did it would be to go straight back to get help.

Although I must say she is a bit of a princess at the same time- sometimes I don't think she wants hugs and kisses as much as she expects them as due worship! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:12:04 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that would be so much fun. I have never been to Yellowstone park. I am so sure I would love it. We have a big trailer with living quarters and my DH says we don't use it enough. Maybe I will be able to talk him into a horsey trip. :)
Did you get photos of Nora on Tala. I bet that was so cute. They love children so much. I think they don't feel threatened by them.

Farmgirl Sister #561

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  7:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Oooh Beautiful horses Alee and Jennifer ! I have two Haflinger mares, 15 h, that will soon be trained under saddle. They are half sisters and I got them when they were weanlings. It has been quite a journey :)

~marcia
www.childinharmony.com "Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can imagine, Marcia! But isn't it so worth it?!

Jennifer- I would love for you to come up to visit! I am planning on going on a horse weekend with my barn manager sometime this spring/summer when it is warm enough to go but not too hot during the day! Maybe in May? Anyway I know it would be a long drive for you but if you want to come we will be riding in the Rocky Mountains and staying at my family's cabin at night. A girl's weekend! It will be so much fun! Let me know if that is at all feasible. We also could probably find you a mount if you didn't mind riding a Tenessee Walker if you just wanted to fly in!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nanny
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cyndy
st eugene ontario
Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  05:33:30 AM  Show Profile
beautiful horses , I have recently got into parelli ground work , really cool , its worth a look check it out on the web ,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Training Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page