Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What about a book section on "Farmgirl Mindset?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What about a book section on "Farmgirl Mindset?" Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I think it might be interesting/helpful to have a book section/chapter on how farmgirls around keep that upbeat, can-do, will-do attitude - especially when times get hard, the purse-strings get short and support seems a little harder than usual to come by. One of the things I truly value about this forum is the collective ability of the gals here to hold each other up when it's needed and wanted. It might be nice to have a little bit of that support and some of those ideas in print to refer to during those times we need a farmgirl hug, but can't log on or contact our "in person" gals --

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Libbie- I agree, that is a great idea. Another thing that goes along with the "farmgirl" mindset or "condition of the heart" would be how to cultivate the farmgirl lifestyle and maintain the farmgirl mindset if you are temporarily "uprooted" (i.e., living in suburbia).

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  05:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Libbie-
What a great idea!! It seems that I am at my most efficient, creative, and thrifty when things are tight at home. The key is to be able to maintain that during times of plenty. That is what I am striving for in my life, and hopefully transfering it to my children.
This is why this forum is so essential. It encourages us, lifts us, teaches us, and more.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey, thanks! I tend to be at my "farmgirl best" when I really need to get things done, for whatever reason, too. I agree - this forum is such a great resource for doing just that - if we are temporarily uprooted physically, mentally or emotionally - I feel so very lucky and fortunate sometimes!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Jumping in a little late on this, but I would love to see a section on keeping going when facing challenges-especially the financial type!

I recently read "Sarah's Quilt" which is an account of a single woman's life on an Arizona ranch in 1906. Wow, was I inspired to keep going; my trials and tribulations are nothing compared to what Sarah endured. I was also motivated by the way that she found a use for everything; makes me realize how much we waste today.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  8:49:19 PM  Show Profile
What about tidbits of farmgirl-ness that keep us going? One that has been handed down through three generations of farmgirls at heart in my family is, "Out of emotion and into motion." That one is the one I use to pull myself up by the bootstraps (so to speak) and just do those things that I think I cannot do.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  9:27:55 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother always said "don't say can't just say can do" We knew what she meant. When I am real down I always think of this saying 'I cried when I had no shoes 'til I saw a man who had no feet'. That's pretty drastic but it works. Ya know what, we had some tough times but they always got better, we just have to let'em.

life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!

This is in the wrong place and I can't get where it should go.

Edited by - Marybeth on Nov 01 2006 05:18:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  01:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
this sounds like a great idea to me.i'd love to have an in print reference from the farmgirls for the times when i need a boost but cant get to the computer!

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
That would be a great idea...anything to inspire and encourage:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

I think it might be interesting/helpful to have a book section/chapter on how farmgirls around keep that upbeat, can-do, will-do attitude - especially when times get hard, the purse-strings get short and support seems a little harder than usual to come by. One of the things I truly value about this forum is the collective ability of the gals here to hold each other up when it's needed and wanted. It might be nice to have a little bit of that support and some of those ideas in print to refer to during those times we need a farmgirl hug, but can't log on or contact our "in person" gals --XOXO, Libbie

I agree wholeheartedly!! And I know that I'm jumping in to this discussion *REALLY* late, but here goes...

I'm a fan of the "Farmgirl Lifestyle" as it was introduced to me by Mary Jane via her book. (I bought it on-the-spot at Borders because I liked the recipes and the photos. Good photos *always* sell me on a book.) I read it cover-to-cover, then went back and re-read parts again. And I'm still re-reading parts. I put it out on my coffee table whenever people come over. When they ask to borrow it, I tell them politely to go get their own. (Sorry, but I'm too afraid I won't get it back! Some of my friends aren't all that reliable...)

I'm also a talker by nature - whether it's face-to-face or on the web. I have really come to embrace the fact that while I don't live rurally, I can live in the heart of suburbia and not only live a simpler, "farmgirl" lifestyle...but I can espouse it others and serve as a model of how it is done as well.

When I tell people about Mary Jane for the first time, I absolutely *cringe* when people ask "So, she's like the organic Martha Stewart??" Arghghhh!!! That couldn't be farther from the truth!!
M.S. (via her books, magazine and TV shows) seems to be all about everything being *Perfect*...more than a few times you'll see and hear that word come up. Mary Jane seems *so* not about *Perfect.* She seems so...Relaxed. Not only about making do - but about enjoying life, not stressing, turning what you love into what you do, being healthy, and investigating the type of life that is best for you and your family. There is not a standard of judgement - she merely tells her story, has others tell their story as well, and allows those who are interested to gather the facts and proceed as they wish. Does she promote people who are congruent to a lifestyle that she espouses? Absolutely!

And I suppose that is why we are coming back - because there are tons of us here. It is so *fulfilling* when we find a group of other like-minded women.

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile
a quote from my family "when the times get tough, we get tougher".
Lord knows I lean on you girls for all kinds of stuff. I'd be happy to give some back!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile
My great-grandmother always said, "Well bless your boots" when anyone did a surprising and wonderful thing. I heard an Asian man say it in a shop in Panama City, Panama when my daughter did some small-child wonderful thing, and it was so unexpectedly wonderful to hear that phrase in such a far-from-home place, with such a layering of accents. If that isn't a condition of the heart we all aspire to, I don't know what is. So, Libby and all, "Well just bless your boots" for what you do to keep me going too.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic.
Some of the healthiest women I know- emotionally and physically, are tough, hardworking farm women. I think they are beautiful and inspiring. MUch more interesting than barbie doll, fashion and beauty0type stuff in typical women's mags.

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  7:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love inspiring stories! I would love to see a few more, but I always find the people that MaryJane introduces us to inspiring (Men who Tat- etc)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  03:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Your stories are inspiring, each and every one of you. To read what you are passing on down to the generations to come. It may just be a phrase, Well bless your boots, out of emotion and into motion, don't say you can't say you can do. Those phrases make a difference in those lives around you. You aren't just teaching them a phrase, you are teaching them a life style. Teaching them to connect forward and backward. Great job farmgirls. Keep inspiring those around you, and let them inspire you.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile
It IS amazing how phrases and stories - and all the little things - connect us with generations past and future. I love reading the stories and inspirations... it just confirms for me that farmgirls are one very special group of gals...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic What about a book section on "Farmgirl Mindset?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page