Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic My garden is growing!! Next Topic  

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  7:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Today I spent all day outside getting my seedlings into the ground. They all look so wonderful. I have had them sitting outside and then brought in at night for about the last week and a half and felt that they were reading to go to their final home. I planted all my tomatoes and cucumbers today, planted another full bed of corn and reseeded radishes. I've already harvested a full bed of radishes!! The weather around here has been more than perfect for the last month which has really helped to get all my beds ready.

So including what I mentioned above, I also have onions starting to bulb, sugar peas, bush beans, eggplant, carrots, zucchini, and summer squash all growing great so far. I also have 2 more beds of corn still to plant. Hopefully they will all survive the Texas heat!!

How are all of your gardens coming along so far?

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  8:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Boy! You are bookin' on that garden. I planted sugar pole peas - twice. So far for some reason they are not coming up. The first time, it was time to plant, then we had a "freak" snow storm. So I waited and planted again. My onions are coming up though, along with potatoes and garlic. Rhurbarb is starting to take off and my artichoke has sprouted. I have tomato starts still on the porch, not quite warm enough for them to go out into the garden, but not so cold they can't stay on the porch all night. Probably in another week I can plant them. Raspberries/boysens still need pruning, but they are sprouting. Still too cold to plant the beans and carrots, soon though. We are probably about 3 to 4 weeks behind you in the weather situation.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Great weather this weekend - started cleaning up the rest of the veggie garden. Got lettuce planted, my tomato starts are now in their permanent home, pruned up the raspberries/boysenberries and got them all trained. Planted some more onion starts where I had gaps, weeded around the garlic. Put the bamboo teepee up for the pole beans and planted those - planted pole peas one more time - saw that some had come up but the slugs were eating them - so put down slug bait. Still have a bit more weeding to do around my strawberries and I still have to plant carrots - but felt a sense of accomplishment yesterday as the garden took shape.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  4:36:43 PM  Show Profile
So jealous of both you girls! I've got rhubarb poking thru, but that's it for the veggie garden. I've got 2 dozen tomato starts inside, but it will be 3 weeks before they go inside. It's supposed to be nice this week, I'll start hardening them outside this week. I'm hoping to plant carrots, beans, potatoes, onions and cukes in about 4 weeks.
However, my lilac bush is starting leaves and buds. My lilies are all poking thru, hollyhocks are about 6 inches high, and tulips will blossom right away. I must be patient!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  05:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I had fresh snap peas for dinner last night. They were so sweet! Our peppers are also getting big enough to pick and eat, and we have tomatoes on the vine. The cucumber vines are blooming, and I am really looking forward to the next months of having fresh veggies. I let some of my broccoli plants stay in the ground and they are going to seed! I have never left them long enough for this to happen, but I wonder if I can save some of that seed and use it later.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you Jeannie, the leaves here are just coming out, tomatoes and other good stuff is a bit down the road.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  1:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - your growing season will be better and longer, though, I think. Your summers in New York have to be quite a bit just cooler than ours, and by the time it gets really hot here, all of our veggies burn up, have bugs, or wilt.

I try to rotate our gardens to comply with the weather, but the heat here is too intense in the summer months. Our spring and winter gardens are the best of the year.

Nancy, what have you planted?

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Not much yet, lots of flower seeds and herbs, I have so many trees in my yard that a reg. garden is out of the question, to much shade. So lots of container flowers, everywhere, lots of ground cover, hostas, iris, lillies. can do tomatoes in a big big container, they do pretty good. But nothing like the garden I grew up with!! So its off to farmers market and stands for fresh stuff. especially now since I have ordered MJ'S BAKEOVERS.Wish you could be my neighbor once the real hot weather comes your way, you could sit on my nice cool back porch and eat produce from the market.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile
I have been picking onions and strawberries and buttercrunch lettuce like crazy!! My second round of radishes are getting close. All my sugar peas and pepper plants have flowers all over them. So far my garden is doing so much better than last year. We have the same problem here with heat, we can grow good here basically only in spring and fall. Summer just gets way too hot!!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic My garden is growing!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page