bougainvillea blooms
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Jennifer
St. Petersburg FL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  06:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jennifer, I am a 29 year old mother of 2 little ones and part time doula and childbirth educator. We just moved to a home in a beautiful old neighborhood in St. Petersburg, FL. It's not the country, but it's the kind of place where people have porch parties and halloween decorating contests, and kids run up and down the tree-lined sidewalks in big happy gangs. It's fun.

I'm digging new gardens in the spacious backyard and considering aquiring a few hens and rabbits to keep me company....though I already have a lot of company with my exuberant boy, 4, and my precious toddling girl, 1. I also am married to my soul mate of 12 years, we've been married about 9 of those years.

I love nostalgia and the fine old things that remind me of my grandparents. I love aprons, shiny old kitchens, clotheslines full of cloth diapers, antique roses, morning glories, knitting, and sewing (although the last 2 I am an extreme novice with). I also love to write, though between caring for our home and learning midwifery I have little time to do that lately.

I have lots of questions to ask my wiser and more experienced counterparts on this board and I am so excited! I love Maryjane's Farm magazine and I really need this board to fortify me in the long wait between issues!

Jennifer AKA farmgirl Jennie

bougainvillea blooms is from a favorite song by Iron & Wine: I used to have giant red bougainvillea sagging over my old back fence at the old house.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  08:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jennifer! I've always been intrigued by doula work. You'll have to share more and some of your experiences!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Please do Jennifer, as I do not think I'm familiar with the term doula and welcome! I will in your neck of the woods Saturday. I['m visiting my dad and stepmother, who live in Venice.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bougainvillea blooms
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Jennifer
St. Petersburg FL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  6:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Kim, the word doula is a greek word for women's helper, and I help women during childbirth. I work with the woman from her pregnancy, answering questions, lending books on childbirth, and generally helping to give knowledge and dispel fears. When the time comes for the baby to be born, I stay with the mother at all times, offering comfort measures (like acupressure, massage, aromatherapy, or just letting her hang on to me!) and unwavering support. I also help the father become as involved as he wants to be in the birth process...not all dads want the same kind of involvement, but want to participate at their comfort level. There is a lot of intuition involved in the job to figure out the dynamic between the parents and how it will work during such an intense interaction.

Doula work is particularly helpful in a hospital setting. I will bring some things to make the space more intimate and sacred (candles, scarves, music, whatever float the mom's boat) but more importantly, I am there to be her rock and protect her intentions regarding her birth plan. I never confront the hospital staff myself (in fact, I barely talk to them) but I will discuss the pros and cons of certain interventions with them and help them make the decision best for them. Not everyone wants a total drug free birth and while I'm always particularly excited when women let their bodies do what they're made to do without intervention of any kind, I am always happy and satisfied when the parents are satisfied with their outcome and have felt empowerment making their decisions...

...Oh my goodness, I went off stumping for the cause as usual! The subject is dear to my heart indeed.

Jen
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  09:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome Jen,
My daughter who had her first child in May was fortunate enough to have the assistance of a Dula in Bayfield Wisconsin. She is a remarkable woman with one child of her own. I live all the way out here in Washington State and felt like I wanted to be with my daughtetr during the birthing process but was not able to make the arrangements until after the baby came. Her Dula was a treasure!She is still very involved in the process of Serens growth and Audrey and Michaels questions of how to raise their child when questions come up that I cannot help with are always given full attention. My hat is off to all of you who are helping bring us out of the dark ages of childbirth and back into the light.
When I had my children I could not find a midwife and my physician was wonderful but still a little backward about allowing men into the delivery. We finally convinced him to allow it as we were using the Lamaz approach and had practiced all those months together. The birth of our third child was during the beginning of the time we should have been allowed to photograph the experience but the nurse on duty would not allow it even though our physician had agreed.
Our daughter has some of the most fantastic photos of the birth of their child because they had their Dula taking pictures. even candid shots when they did not know she was photographing them. Seeing the photos made me weep! The love and caring between my children during that birth (which had some severe complications) was very evident.
So Jen, I admire what you are doing very much.
Is there an online chat room where you Dulas can share your experiences? Would you be interrested in communicating with other Dulas around the country and maybe even worldwide?
I think you fit right in, We all feel the strech when we are waiting for the next issue of MaryJanes Farm.
Maybe you could write an article about midwifery and being a Dula for the magazine. I think it would be a good topic.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

flowerkeeper
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

rhonda
beaumont texas
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2004 :  5:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the site! Your neighborhood and lifestyle sound marvelous! I was an OB/GYN nurse for 12 years, and still love that area. However, I have chosen to semi-retire, and now own and operate a private home for 4 ladies with Alzheimers disease. My friends joke that I went from "the womb to the tomb!" I have a nurse aid who come each morning to bathe everyone and change the beds, which gives me a great head start. That leaves me with loads of extra time to garden, sew, crochet, hang out clothes, or whatever else makes me feel efficient! Anyway, so much for myself, I want to hear more from you.

all that glitters is not gold, and all who wander aren't lost....
Go to Top of Page

bougainvillea blooms
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Jennifer
St. Petersburg FL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2004 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your kind remarks! It would be interesting if MaryJane wanted to do an article about doulas, or midwives; it actually would have fit well with the "hands" theme of this last issue. I think a midwife's hands hold special power. They're beautiful to behold.

It was actually an article I read in a magazine long ago about a poor, rural "granny midwife" in northern Florida who had been attending births since the 1920's...I think I was about 14, and fascinated all at once...I've been hooked ever since...

Eileen I'm so glad your daughter had a nice experience. The births of my 2 babes gave something to me that can never be tarnished...

Jen
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2004 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile
What a neat job Jen. My girlfriend had both of her children naturally, no drugs at all. She said it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Rhonda, what you are doing is great too. My granfather had Alzheimers. Not many people have the patients for that kind of work. My hats off to you.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2004 :  11:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Jennifer!

I am happy you are here--I'll be having my 6th child in about 7 weeks. While I've never had the services of a trained doula, I've always had wonderful women and a great dh around to help me with each birth. You are doing a great work!

Your home and neighborhood sound lovely--I find things that remind me of my grandparents to be nearly irresistable. Old handmade furniture, quilts, homemade bread, chickens, and flower and vegetable gardens are among those things that take me back and make my heart sing!

I'm looking forward to your posts!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2004 :  5:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Boy, you will sure fit in fine around here Jennifer (by the way we have alot of Jennys, Jens and Jennifers here as well..haha) your work with childbirth sounds so interesting!! How rewarding!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jakajibb
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

rhode island
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! I read your post and had to reply... I am a 32 yr old mom of a 4yr old boy which I had naturally in a birthing center. I also am married to my solemate...we have been together 12 yrs and married 5 of them, however I have had a "crush" on him since I was 7!!! I was wondering more about your neighborhood...We are moving from RI possibly down to North Carolina but are looking for the type of neighborhood you seem to be living in. We just want a peaceful place to raise our son and connect with others who are looking for the same. You can e-mail me directly at handimann@earthlink.net and maybe we can connect...hope to hear from you... Jill
Go to Top of Page

bougainvillea blooms
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Jennifer
St. Petersburg FL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2004 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I sent you an email Jill! My house (the old one) is for sale...want it? I birthed my 2 babies in that house, so I hope someone nice will buy it and fill it with more happy memories.

Idahospud, that's great about your 6th baby! Wow! I would love a big brood like that, but I'm just trying to negotiate for #3. Three babies sounds like a good number.

I've been trying out all the different forums, and each one is more interesting than the next. I just wrote a HUGE post waxing poetic about my Christmas tree, LOL. I need to go to bed...

Jen
Go to Top of Page

endine
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Birkenfeld Oregon
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  11:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! I was really interested in your description of a doula and wondering how to become one. I had four children at home, using the LaMaze method and have coached two friends through natural deliveries. I've never had midwifery training but certainly have tons of experience! And I'm a firm believer in natural birthing. Can you give me any information about becoming a doula? I'll be moving to northern Oregon next month and it's something I'd love to pursue.

Thanks! Endine

endine
birkenfeld, or
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page