Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Clay Soil Next Topic  

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok I have a spot in my yard that is mostly clay, nothing wants to grow there. I have had to transplant 4 different kinds of things from that spot. I am wondering if mint would grow there. Does anyone know.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Valerie,I think mint would grow there. I had to take out about 5 wheelbarrow loads one time on a spot like that.Then I just started adding anything,(and I mean anything to the hole)! I mostly used grass clippings,sawdust,manure and any dirt I could find.Some of the area kept sinking,I kept adding! oh,and leaves too.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  3:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Dorothy. Add all the organic matter you can. I'd compost the sawdust first so that it doesn't tie up nitrogen while it decomposes. Don't add sand. It makes clay soil worse by binding the clay together more tightly. I think mint will grow just about anywhere.

I wouldn't dig down and then add OM. That creates a clay lined hole that doesn't allow for drainage. Roots will suffocate and die. Turn the OM in by hand if possible and avoid tilling. Build up.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  07:19:02 AM  Show Profile
There's a book calling Lasagna Gardening that tells how to pile up the organic matter to improve planting. I had horrible clay soil at my last house (with lots of river rock too) and this is what I used. You don't have to till, pile your organic matter in layers about 2 ft thick and then plant in the layers. It eventually breaks down and you just keep adding more to the pile. All you're basically doing is composting on the spot where your want to plant instead of having a separate pile.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
New Product -- Soap Souffle

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Clay Soil Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page