Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile
you had a busy day kris. i want a lazy day, but that wont happen. papa has the head catch for the pasture done. i have a girl coming this am to learn to milk. i am hoping she will be a relief milker for me. belle and hazel are doing great. i cut the buck up into food in a few hours. i am excited since i tried it the day we butchered. we will see if the meat gets stronger or milder when aged. i have some interest from my regular customers. i saved some fat from butchering the cow. i will add a little to the burger. he did have a thin fat layer. i think because he had some grain. a really thin fat layer.
Linda i hope you are better these days. hope you all have a fine farmgirl day. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. I went up the road yesterday to see about hay. They have beef cattle now. But they also have a Jersey heifer he said they don't really need anymore. I just about jumped for joy! She's about a year old now and about 3/4 Jersey and 1/4 Holstien. He asked if I might be interested and I said yes, of course. He asked what I would give for her. I didn't want to say anything yet. He said he didn't know what she'd bring at the sale barn. I said please don't take her there. I want her. He said she looks like a Jersey. ANyway, I told him to see what they would ask for her and I will take her. I would like to wait to get her til she is bred though. Then they might want more for her. But what do y'all think she would be worth? I don't really want to say more than $500. if she's not 100% full Jersey. Oh my goodness, I am so excited! I hope I can get her. And a little calf to bottle feed all thsi milk to. Geeze, I need to be rich.

Sherrye, don't you know there are no lazy days on a farm? But I don't want to do anything outside. I did hang clothes though and I am dripping with sweat. Yuck! And my washer is not working right for some reason. I had a load of towels in it and we went to twon. Were gone a few hours. The water is still running and it's not going to rinse. I even put it on extra small load for it to stop and start rinsing but it didn't. I noticed this the other day too. I hope hubby gets home this weekend to look at it. So we might be looking for another washer. Darn. It's always something. And it always takes money too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  1:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris I hope you can get the cow. Then you can have a baby to feed the goats milk to and get some cows milk too! Yum! Butter! LOL

I was out for an hour or so to pick beans and Japanese beetles. Wish I got as many beans as beetles! I have picked about 3 quarts so far. (Beans that is!) Just the first planting is producing right now but the second and third plantings are right on the verge. I'll be running over in beans if they start out like the first ones. Thank goodness! It is hot hot hot but the humidity seems to be lower today.
OH! I picked my first cherry tomatoes too. Picked 4 and ate two right away. It was all I could do to save the other two for my sweetie. Tomatoes? What tomatoes? LOL
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, boys are gone!!!!! I took them tonight. Then went to get little Penelope Jane. She is so cute. She's a bit smaller than Zarah, but they are getting along great so far. I have Abby and Sandy in the back for the night. I'll put them back in with the kids in the morning and hopefully they won't hurt Penelope. And the lady I got her from knows the dairy people really well. They are always trying to get her to take a few calves. I asked her how much they were going to charge her and she said they were going to just give them to her. So she's going to talk to them about getting a calf for me. They might go a little cheaper now. I hope so. And hope it's soon because I am going to be milking twice a day now. I need to make cheese!

Connie, that's a good start on the beans. I didn't get much to begin with, now they are coming in good. You know that the more you pick, the more they grow. I have seen some Jap. beetles on the wild grape vines along the fence. I hope they will stay there on them. I do not like them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  8:09:53 PM  Show Profile
I've heard that about the Jap. Beetles. Someone said they prefer grape vines to anything else.
I'm so glad you are getting your goats sorted out! And a lead on the cow too! That is great.

Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  08:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Yay Kris! Glad the boys are gone and your little Penelope Jane is home! Hope the cow business works out for you.

Sherry, let us know how the goat meat is after it aged a bit.

Connie, glad you are getting some beans! We have been SOOO hot here that my plants are still struggling to grow! I am getting zucchini and yellow squash and have some eggplant getting ready to pick.

Well, better get out and do some weeding in the garden before it gets too darn hot!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Farmgirls, How's everyone doing? Sure have missed you all. How's everyones fur babies doing? Mine are doing great. Just finished with kidding season for this year. Up to 10 goats now and loving it! Had 4 does and 1 buck this year! Gong to weather the little buck and keep him as my pack goat for 4H.
Anyway, hope you all are doing well!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile
howdy hannah, happy to hear from you. what is going on with the little calf? did you kill those japanese beetles? i think that BT.

will kill them. there is an organic omri approved powder to kill them. peaceful valley farm in calif. carries it. hows your penelope doing? i am still weaning babies. since i already milk cows i am drying the goats off. so babies go in to take pressure of udders then out again. so down to about once a day. our ginger carries an udder like a cow. i really am having a hard time drying her off.

i stayed up the other night till 12 wrapping meat and grinding burger. i did not add any extra suet to the goat. the burger was a little sticky. i believe from not having as much fat. we ate tenderloin fried in flour. it was sooo GOOD. i kept it simple. 8 packs of burger-4 packs stew meat- i did one tenderloin- 3 tenderloin roasts bone in- 8 - 5 pound roasts- i did not do steaks. it is surprisingly good mild sweet lean with a thin layer of fat on the outside of the cuts of meat. i will grow and butcher more goat for sure. i have 4 wethers now and one buck. i will use him and then butcher him. do you think the girls will come into heat again this fall? i have not seen any behavior from anyone yet. so i vote yes on goat meat. easy to raise, fun to have, easy to butcher and tastes great. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey there Miss Hannah. I have sure missed you on here. I have seen you on FB and your gaot kids are adorable. I hope all is well with you.

Penelope is doing great. I was worried about her at first. I think she's fitting right in now. He rand Zarah have fun together. I just put them all out back with the sheep. It's funny now, but when little Earl the ram lamb was so little, Zarah would butt him and push him around. Now he's bigger than her and she didn't even go near him. So they are all getting along good out there. There's a lot of things that sheep won't eat that the goats will. And it is really growing up out there fast with all this rain. I need to egt the front bush hogged next week. And Mazie's pasture too.

I guess I'll have some goat meat soon too, Sherrye. I still have not eaten any of the buck I had butchered last year. I don't know how to fix it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kris! :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Nice to see you Hannah!

Kris, I looked up some recipes for lamb and went with those for the chops or just throw them on the grill with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. For a roast, just cook it like a beef roast and it will be good.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  11:32:04 AM  Show Profile
We made it to 100 pages today!!! Wow. Isn't that amazing? I never would have thought this would get so big.

Thanks, Candy. I think I will try it sometime this week. I am making homemade pizza today. I got some mozarella from a friend and am going to use whole ripe tomatoes and saute some squash and onions. Wish I had some mushrooms. I am making feta and chevre right now but they won't be ready for this.

Awhile ago I was outside and Sandy came to the gate. I went to pet her and right behind her was Penelope Jane. She is Sandy's shadow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  12:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Glad Penelope Jane is settling in so nicely!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:27:06 PM  Show Profile
the goats sound like they all settled in to their new family member. i have to say kris --i have been just cooking the goat like beef, or posk. we do a lot of roasts cause they cook without me. so a lot of roasts with water onion garlic and stuff. i always overcook roasts. i like overcooked with juice. the tenderloin were amazing. so all this week has been crazy with lots of HARD work. we have been just overrun by the produce account. we move about 600 pounds or MORE a week. we have 7 families that pick up free produce. we also feed 11 head of cows and 12 goats 4 grower pigs and 2 hogs that weigh 1,000 pounds each and 85 laying hens. we sort evey pound to keep from feeding something bad to a animal. plus as i say this time 50 pounds apples 40 pounds spuds 40 pounds onion garlic and the list is huge. so last night we had the grands and we fed every one came into test kisten ( she is type 1 diabetic. we just get done and a neighbor says PIG OUT major is a huge black male. he was just meandering up the driveway. hanging out. mama stayed in. so papa uses a grass rake and guides him back in. well the hot wire was broke. he leaned on the gate and it gave way. so out he was. i was glad to see he was so calm. that pig just slowly walked with papa back in. so today we bought BIGGER HOT WIRE> LOL he has been shocked 4 times already. soon he will respect his line again. they are such gentle giants. our hen hatched her babies right under their feeder. she lives in their with 5 chicks. so cute when they eat. these HUGE HOGS with itty bitty chicks at their feet eating too. i cannot catch mom yet or her chicks so this is how it is for now. they live together. the hogs old owner said she has had 3 litters with major in with her and never lost one. she had them loose in the pen. no farrowing crate. if she is going to have babies it will be soon. heres hoping for 14. thats how many teats she has. well i been yacking way toooo long. sorry girls. hope you are all well. so no summer here yet. we had rain and thunder last night. now today its 70. my tomatoes are stopped growning. happy days sherryea

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Wow Sherry! You have been busy, busy, busy!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:42:14 AM  Show Profile
good morning candy, yes busy is my name these days. i am so excited girls. i called about a special needs cow. she was on CL for400.00. when i called an older farmer answered. her name is taddy. she was born with crooked back legs. she is 4 yrs. old. we are going tomorrow to see her. we are taking the trailer. she is about 3 hours away. these folks love her a lot. they want her to have a good home. they need to sell her since they have mostly concrete. he said you bring your trailer take her home and if it works send me some money if you can. they understood our lack of money. since we have had no check for 7 weeks cause they goofed he said dont worry about the money. she is a 3 teater with a calm quiet demeanor. we will see. wont hurt to try. this way she will get to live and not be burger in the future. she breeds back fine and has good calves. we will A-I her. so i sure had a hard time sleeping. i am very excited about her. wondering how you all are. i havent been on much. i am hoping linda is doing ok? hope you all have a fine farmgirl day. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
How exciting about maybe getting a new cow! Hope it works out!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  04:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye how is the new cow? All you girls keep busy.
I wanted to say,that after 3 and a half months, my first calf heifer, Connie, has finally turned into a sweet cow. She has finally been standing still for milking. What a joy this is, after all the kicking she has done. I thank her every morning, and praise the heck out of her.
Candy, just checked out your blogspot. Love the recipes, and everything. Do you guys have bees too? we share alot of the same interests. You really do live in the desert! Interesting to see your land.
Kris did you get the heifer?
Stay cool girls. It is hot and humid here. I can't wait for fall weather, when you can actually put on some clothes!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  05:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Michele,

You cracked me up with that last line! LOL!! Glad your milk cow has finally decided to be a good girl, sure makes life easier! We don't keep bees but I have lavender and a vitex tree in the back yard to attract them for the garden. They just weren't getting out of the back yard this year for some reason, I was having to hand pollinate the squash plants there for awhile!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  7:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. Computer wasn't working for a few days. It's back! I have not gotten a calf yet. I am not getting as much milk as I thought. I am still waiting to hear about the Jersey heifer though. I made some feta and chevre this weekend and took some of the feta to the people I got Penelope from. She emailed me today and said it was so good. She said I need to sell it at the Brainnerd market. I asked her about the policy on raw milk cheese. I do believe some laws have changed recently. I hope I can do this. I would love to.

So Sherrye, I wonder if you got the cow? And how it's going if you did. You just keep getting more and more. Me too.

It's hot all week. In the high 90's. I just want to stay inside and never go out again! But my garden keeps growing and growing. And so does that awful nasty evil grass! I am mowing about every 3 days now. And picking tomatoes and green beans like crazy. But I am not complaining about that. I just can't get my heart into picking any more beans. It's SO hard!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  9:06:43 PM  Show Profile
well on the road again. like a band of gypsies we go down the road again. so we are hoping this special needs cow will be ok. so yes we leave in am after produce run and milking. so i am soooo excited. now we have a chance to get another one. we will see. she is giving 6 gallons. freshened 4 weeks ago. they are going to come tour the farm. then decide. if i get her i will make payment. so happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  9:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I am new here and enjoying this thread. I have milk goats, but no cows. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and to learning on this thread.

The door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kristi to the dairy thread. There's always something going on thats for sure. There's alot of good farmgirls on here. What kind of milk goats to you have?

Trying to survive this horrible heat and humidity. Its been horrible for days and will continue. They have heat alerts out all the way through the weekend. I can't hardly stand it. I feel bad for my animals. I keep the fans running at the barn and cold water 3 times a day. My buck Pluto is really stinking. He is already getting rutty. I wish he would wait until fall when its cooler.

I am going to see a hand specialist August 1st. about my hand. Its not really improving so its time to have it checked out. Its been almost 5 weeks now so I guess its time to go see what they say about it. I am getting pretty good with my left hand and arm but it gets so tired by the end of the day. This is the busiest time of the year for farm girls with milking,mowing, gardening, canning and all the stuff that comes with summer. If I have to have surgery I am gonna see if he will wait till fall.

Sounds like everyone is super busy. Sherry and Kristin good luck on maybe getting cows. Nice to read about what everyone is up to. Well I'm off to check the garden. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristi. Welcome and so glad you joined us here. Do you know Sherrye? She is in the same place as you. How cool. Yes, you have to tell us more about your goats. How many and what kind and are they in milk now and what do you do with it all? We would love to hear about them. And you too.

Good to hear from you, Linda. It's hot as heck here too all week. I guess I got a little spoiled Sunday and Monday. It was great here. I hope your hand is not too bad off. Are you able to use it at all?

Good luck with the new cow, Sherrye! SO exciting. I saw on CL someone has a 4 year old Jersey for $1200. She was a pretty cow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile
I have lived here a lot longer than most folks, so I may have met Sherrye in passing, but I don't know her. Maybe that will change? :-) I didn't notice when I posted yesterday that she was from Redmond, but I see it now. How cool! I bet we at least know a lot of the same people.

My goat herd is small (10 animals currently) and I keep 2 breeds. I have 3 Saanens for milk and 7 Boers I raise for meat. 2 of my Saanen does are currently in milk. I don't separate the babies when they are born, so I only milk once a day. I am currently getting between 1 and 1 1/2 gallons a day from my girls. I have a Boer doe that I also milk. She does remarkably well, for a meat goat. She is currently raising a beautiful set of huge, healthy triplets as well as putting a little over a quart in the bucket for us to use every day. Elci is a good girl! :-) Both of my Saanen girls have milked through, and are on long lactations. Juliet is on just about a year now, and Zilla is on month 15. Juliet was supposed to be bred for August kids, but didn't settle, so I just kept milking her. Otherwise she would have been dried off by now. I will take her back to the breeders to try again soon. I was so hoping to have a spring breeder, but it was not to be I guess.

I have two sons, ages 12 and 15, so we go through a lot of milk just to drink, but I also make a couple of kinds of cheese and hubby makes the best blackberry ice cream I have ever tasted. The vanilla and choc chip mint arent bad either. I have recently started adding blueberries to the chevre' and my kids have been gobbling it up. I need to make it after they are in bed so I can get some put up in the freezer!

I am sorry to hear someone has been having trouble with their hand. That is not fun when you have dairy animals. I had a bout of tennis elbow this winter and milking was so hard. I hope you feel better soon.

The door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page