Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile
For many years I too thought it was ilegal to sell raw milk, and in some states it still is. in MA you can become certified to sell raw milk from the farm only. You can not transport it though. This is what I'm working towards. And then it gets a little more tricky even if you live in a state that allows you to sell raw milk the town you live in can have laws against it that bipass state law. So when and if you are interested in selling you first need to call your local town board of health to find out if you can, and then contact a dairy inspector who will inform you of exactly what you have to do to become certified. If you can sell raw milk were you live it is a really great thing to bring in some extra money for grain and hay since the average gallon of goats milk goes for around 10$ a gallon. This is a really good site to find out facts about raw milk. http://www.nofamass.org/index.php

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile
h. full operation. she has been in business for over 30 years. really smart about the laws. she has a e-mail and link to her farm on raw milk.com. she has helped me a lot.ere in oregon we can sell raw milk from the farm. we are allowed only 2 cows in milk. if there is more you are called a dairy and everything changes. my friend has 40 acres and leases more. she has 25 in milk now. they are jersey cross. she is a share herd dairy. she has about 20 more that are preggie. she has helped me a lot. her barn is to die for. full on dairy. 8 milk stalls. all are sanitized and ready when you go in to milk.she makes cheese butter etc. folks come and get what they need out of a room. it has coolers in it and a log book. they own a portion of the cow and pay for her feed and for billie to milk their cow. she does well enough to afford to live. the challenge is it is REALLY HARD with that many. plus she is on her own. i am amazed by her. for me i love my mini. she is half corriente and jersey, not huge amounts of milk but huge personality. she is my buddy.the girls here helped me not give up when training her. now she is a dream come true. just a thought sherrye KRIS we are dry here too so nice to walk on dry land. lol

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Kris and Sherry! It looks so hard to milk because there teets are so tiny! But then again I have never milked a cow before.

Well Sadie is getting ready! She has me checking her every 1 hour or so. Yeserday I sat out in the pin with them because it was so nice and they we all sleeping and she would not leave my side. She got so close she almost triped me. lol I love my baby girl!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Channah, are you ready? This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear some good news. Another way to tell if they are close is to grab the tail bone right at the rear and if you can put your fingers all the way around she's getting ready. Are her udders filling up yet? We still have a month or so to go. I want babies now!

Sarah, I get $8 a gallon here. Some people get $10. I just can't seem to go that high. But half gallons are $5.

Sherry, your friend sounds like she has her hands full. I would not want to do that many by myself.

It's a beautiful day here. My hubby is NOT coming home again this weekend. He's in Ohio right now heading to Virginia. This will make 1 month since he's been home. He's going to have to buy underwear. And get all his meds at Walmart because he's almost out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 20 2010 09:24:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think I am ready. I really have no choice. I have to be ready! Yup, I have been doing that tail bone thing and she is getting ready! Her udder has been filling! It is so hard to tell because she does not even look pregnant but has all the signs of being pregnant. We shall see if she has a baby soon! I hope she has it on Esther's birthday which is the 28 of this month. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  11:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Maggie good luck! It's always exciting to have new baby animals on the farm!

I just finished preping my kid pen and cleaning out the milking area. Can't wait to have fresh milk to drink again!

Kristin: THat's great that you get $8 a gallon!

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful Kris!!

Sarah, Thank you!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:58:23 PM  Show Profile
It has been just beautiful today. This morning I took my 9yr old grand daughter to softball tryouts. It was perfect weather for that. Then my 9mth old grand daughter and my almost 4 yr old grandson came by. They wanted Pawpaw to ride them on the gator. That has always been the grandkids favorite thing. This afternoon we have been cleaning out goat stalls. Sara should be due in the next couple of weeks.
Kris, that rooster attacked hubby this afternoon. I have a feeling Mr. Roo won't be here much longer!
I LOVE THIS WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  5:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Gena, I am so glad you had such a good day. And the weather just made it that much better. My hubby started letting the grands ride the lawn mower all over the place. So now that's what they want to do when they come here. It's better than nothin'! Sounds like you may be having some chicken and dumplins real soon. When's dinner?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  06:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, that means I would have to clean him! I have never done that before. I don't think I have the stomach for that. I would rather give him to my brother in law. They love to get chickens for free!

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, We were at the Fl state fair a few weekends ago and met our first Irish Dexter. It was love at first sight! My husband travels a lot so I wanted to look into miniature cows for the day when we find and move to a farm. I guess choosing a breed now is kind of "putting the horse before the cart"! But a girl can dream...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  07:39:36 AM  Show Profile
i think you are right on to be looking now. you can learn about the breed and how to care for them. we went out yesterday and put up a 7 foot fence where our market garden is going. we have a cow name hippo. she is as wide as a barn. she will have her calf in april, i so hope it is a girl.hippo is 3/4 dexter and 1/4 belted. she is scarey when she comes up to you. last year she was new so i had her in a corral.she was easy to halter brake and lead. they are friendly cows if around folks enough. we love their lean meat. our cholesterol came down a few yrs. after we changed our diet. welcome to the forum. this is a fine place sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  09:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, Is there a book to get started about milk cows? I see everything on milk goats but not cows. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, you asked about Dexters. We couldn't be happier having them apart of our barnyard. They do consume less feed/hay, require less pasture, are very adaptable to weather, easy calving, good temperment, great tasting meat and milk. When we were first looking to get cows, upon reading this and then finding that it was indeed true, we knew they were for us. I've only been milking for a little over 2 years. Although we have 4 that I've milked, I usually just stay with our little short-legged Dexter. She's the sweetest gal and her cream line is awesome. Last year at her peak lacatation, we got 1 1/2 gallons and that was with her calf nursing during the day. We were pleased with that and it was more than enough for our family and some to share with others.
Yep, we love our Dexters!

Christine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  2:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, Keeping a Family Cow by Joann S. Grohman is full of great info in all areas of milk cowdom. Also there is a forum on KFC, too. Everyone there has milk cows. That's all I know right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris, that book and the forum are very good. I've learned a lot there and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

http://familycow.proboards.com/index

Sherrye, I agree that Dexter beef is the best for lean meat. The cuts are more in proportion to what we should be eating. By that I mean the steaks aren't huge, just right in size. But, that's just our opinion. We don't care for a steak that's bigger than our plate.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  4:50:42 PM  Show Profile
That is so neat about channah's new kid. So exciting. I love kidding season. I was noticing my gorls today. They all of a sudden got huge. Yesterday I was thinking I might just have 2 pregnant but today things have changed. Their udders are getting noticably bigger and fuller each day. I bought new hoof trimmers today and trimmed them all. And while they were up on the stanchions I checked them all real good. They look great. Just a few more weeks to go here. So they might just all have twins now, the way they look today. I hope Sandy has some cute little kids like Channah's Sadie did. She is so cute. I can hardly wait.

So are there any more new kids on the block yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  6:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks kristin on the info of the book. I will look into it. Have to start somewhere. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  05:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Sara (my Nigerian ) is getting her udder. I hope it won't be much longer. I have got to figure out how to post pictures.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  05:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, what fun! Do you know when she was bred, Gena? And if you figure out the picture thing, let me know. I can't either. I might have to do what Channah did and get someone else to post pics thru e-mails.

Victoria, you might find that book on Amazon. Or you can get it thru the site. I'd like to get one, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I remember that she is due in March. I don't remember if it was the first or middle or end of March. You know, at the time I always think I will remember. Better start writing stuff down!
I will see if my son can figure out the picture thingy

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  12:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh,thank you Kris!! When are your goats due? I am sure that your goats will have some very cute kids!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Channah, mine are due in just a few weeks. They have really gotten huge the past several days. I have been letting them out and they are eating some good brush and grass. So that makes them look bigger. I have a few things to do to get ready for them. I was looking for the long gray nipples and can't find them. And the nipple on the little baby bottle needs replaced. Just in case I need them. Also need some mollasis (I hate this word! I can never spell it right) and wormer. I think that's all. Other than that I think I'm ready. I hope they are.

It'll be so much easier this year with just the 4 does to milk. I won't know what to do with all my time now.

Gena, yours should be going about the same time. I am so excited to see them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
if you have extra time Kris you can always write me!! lol :) :) Just kidding!! You will find lots of stuff to do! I hope everything goes well for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile
I apologize in advance...for all my questions!!! (And if you answer you might be a target for more questions!)

For those of you with the miniature cattle, have they been mostly hobby or also for profit? If for profit, were you profitable? And then...are you making profit from selling breeding stock or also from selling for meat products? And are you able to find a local market? And finally, how does profit margin compare with standard cows?

I like the idea of the miniature cattle for me mainly for ease of handling and lowered expenses or reduced # of acres per cow. But I think I will have a hard time getting my husband to buy into that miniatures are the way to go. And I'm concerned with finding a local market, although I think the marketing potentials are out there!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page