Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:34:23 PM  Show Profile
Candy, 2 of my Lamanchas are registered and Sadie could be. But I am not going to do any more. I really don't want to get into all that myself. It's so much easier to let the moms raise the kids. For me, anyway.

Sam, I am so sorry you lost your doe. That's so sad. I do hope you will find another doe soon. And I wonder if your buck is a ram. Ouch! But he could be a Cashmere goat? I really don't know the fiber goats but have heard of that and another one I can't remember the name of. Have you tried to sheer him yet?

Gena, I guess one little Nigerian would not be worth it to milk. You might get a quart at a time. Not too bad but still. I was getting about 4 gallons a day from 5 does last year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Sam, the other is Angora. Really good fiber to spin and knit with.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My goats don't really know how to be mamas. lol So I bottle feed the babies.
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I am glad you caught on to the name "Dud". A friend of mine told me that I was cruel for naming him that. He is really my favorite. Wethers make such good pets! I thought the name was appropriate! LOL!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
This may be a dum question, but what are your goats personalities ( I don't think that is spelled right, sorry..)??

Lets see... Joey who is my only buck right now is such a sweetie!! When he was a baby he would climb up in my lap after he would have his milk and go to sleep in my lap. I spoiled him to much. Now he is a big boy who I must say loves me very much and follows me around everywhere. When I run he runs, when I play like I'm sleeping he comes over and lays beside me. He really loves it when I read to him!! He is my best friend!! I have nursed him back to health when he almost died and we have a wonderful bond!! But he can be a little stinker because he will butt the girls out of the way when I am petting them so he can get some love. He keeps me laughing!!

Sadie, Is also a sweetheart. She looks just like her mother. She is a silly girl and when I run she hops. She likes to be held some times and will let you know when she does not my moving away. She also likes it when I read to her. Right now she is pregnant and due any day. Since she has been pregnant she likes to see where I am at all times. I think it is because she is scared and does not know what is happening. So I always let her know that I am here for her. She has these big floppy ears and the sweetest face!

Esther, Is a lot like her daughter. She loves it when you brush or rumb her back. She likes to be left alone but sometimes she'll come on over and say hello. We are learning to understand eachother ( I got Esther a year ago when she was 4 and she cried and cried because I took her away from her only family she new. She was with 12 other goats and to come home to her new home and only have Sadie and Joey who were only babies, ( I got them the same day I got her) she cried and cried for her mama and friends. So she hated me for a while. I let her have her space but it broke my heart to hear her cry in the night. I told my dad that maybe we should take her back to her home. But now she is much better and she lets me have my space and I let her have hers. :) ) We are slowly becoming friends. :)

And I think that is it. Sorry it was so long. I would love to hear about all your goats!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  09:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Channah, your goats all sound like they are so sweet. Esther will warm up to you soon enough.

Sandy, the Nubian, is the biggest baby. She does not like to be alone at all. She goes crazy if I leave her in the milk room alone too long. Even when she kids she wants to be right in the middle of all the others. I'll put her in a stall but she has to see the others. She's so funny. And VERY loud!

Abby used to be the alpha doe. She's the oldest one. I would have to tie her up when I fed the others outside or she would be a pig and butt everyone away. But she has been booted out of the Queen role fy Faith, who is a year younger. I think Faith knows Abby is getting older and she is taking over the alpha role. But they are both very quiet.

Then there is Sadie Mae Belle. She's got the biggest personality. And I do believe you spelled that right, girl! Good for you. Anyway, she is a mess all around. Just the sweetest goat and I love her. She's beautiful, too. Loads of personality.

They all went next door to the cow pasture. It's a nice day here so they wanted out. They are all munching away out there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Most of you are milking goats and I'm milking cows. I'm currently on vacation from milking as we wait for calving to begin the first of March. Our little Coolee looks like she might go earlier. She's our best milker and she happens to be the smallest, a short-legged Dexter. We get more than enough milk and always have some to share. We sure miss that fresh milk and all that good stuff that we make with it. At least we have plenty of butter in the freezer.

I enjoy reading all about your goats and I love their names.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Christine, this is for cow people, too. Join in anytime. I love reading about all you farmgirls that have cows. And the first of March in not too far off. I've got about 4 weeks to go on my goats. I have some butter in my freezer that needs to be used up.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are right Kris. Me and Esther have come along way with eachother. It has been a year now and we are learning each day about eachother. It's funny because she will cry and cry for me and once she sees me she will go back to eating her hay. It's so funny!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  4:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Christine, I am very interested in learning more about the Dexters. How much milk per cow average and how long of lactation do they have? Are they inclined to hold up their milk for their calf or willing to share if the calf is left on? How much grain do you feed when they are milking? How about personality of both the cows and bulls? I have a Guernsey x Jersey heifer due next month to a Guernsey and debate about keeping her and selling her mom(3/4Guersey1/4beef)since she is smaller framed and eats less, but she's generally a bit flightier than her mom and have had some issues with her jumping rotational hot wire. If I get a heifer calf I may keep her and sell both Mom and Grandmom. I have troubles finding dairy bulls to bred to and the last young bull was trouble. I have considered breeding to a Dexter if I will have enough milk and keep the temperment mellow??? How old average for a Dexter bull to be of servicable age?
We have had this cow line for 11 years and are kinda attached, but $ wise I have to cut back and be more sustainable.We raise and eat the bull calves, I have severe allergies to store bought beef. Any insights you can share will be appreciated. Thanks! Laurie
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:14:55 PM  Show Profile
hi christine and laurie, i have a small dexter herd here in oregon. we have 2 cows due may. they are registered. then we have HIPPO she is 3/4 dexter 1/4 belted.she lives way beyond her name. short and WIDE. she is due april 3. we have been raising and eating dexters for 14 years. i love them. i am disabled. i do not have a lot of power. these animals are easy to handle. low impact on the land. i am sure christine will agree. they are great. the market here for them is down and angus is up. i just think growers are looking for a bigger home grown stock to sell. the range grown is popular.they do not push fences as long as there is ample food. bulls if raised by their mom not a human. when raised by humans they see human as part of herd. this can be dangerous during breeding season. you can appear as a threat to the bull.when raised by their mom they see human differently. i just learned about this behavior on keeping a family cow. lots of folks milk dexters. they love their milk. i milk a mini jersey right now. we are waiting on isabella our jersey to freshen.christine probably can add to this. it sounds like she has been around dexters awhile too. hope this helps just a thought or two sherrye i love milking my cow. we just weaned her calf cocoa.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kris,
I looked up some different pictures of fiber breeds and he looks more like the Cashmere, but his hair didn't seem to get as long as the one in the picture. I did sheer him last year but didn't do any thing with it. I'm going to do some research to see how to process it. That would be awesome to be able so spin his hair would it matter if he wasn't full blood, if maybe that is why his hair isn't that long?
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile
I have Nigies, 2 does, Sienna (3yrs) and Mi Hija (2yrs) and 1 buck Big Al (5 yrs). I bought Sienna and Mi Hija in May of 2008 and Big Al Jan of 2010. I have my fingers crossed that Big Al has settled both girls. I will leave my kids with my does until the kids are 1 month old, then I will seperate the kids at night, and milk the does in the morning, letting the kids back with them during the day. Last June, Sienna had 2 buck kids and a still-born ( I did not sex it) and Mi Hija had doeling that did not survive. I am hoping for some doe kids this year. Our goal is 4 does for milk and Big Al to keep things going.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  11:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Sam, how old is he? I don't really know anything about the wool breeds of goats. But I wonder if age has anything to do with the length?

Katheryn, how much milk do you get from the 2 does?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Sam, I used to raise Angora goats. All of mine were white. I don't know if they can be another color or not. When the kids were born, they looked like poodles.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  6:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
ok, this may seem like a really weird question but here goes..
How do you milk a cows teats?? I've seen them and they look so small and it looks so hard to milk. Is it hard? Do you milk by hand? Is it a lot like milking a goat? I know it is silly but I had to ask it. lol
Hugs,

Channah

Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, Is it true you can milk a miniture cow once a day. I read that on the computer at one time. I am thinking about getting one. Do they have good temperments? I have never owned a cow before so iam sure its a silly question. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  8:45:15 PM  Show Profile
hi vicki and channah, i would have to say it is easier than most goats. my goat has big teats so she is very easy. my cow has a cute little udder. she is always clean. i use a milk machine. i have a surge floor milker. yes i can milk once a day OAD. now i am doing twice a day (TAD)now i am trying to get her volume up.if the cow comes into a lot of milk. like when they have a calf, you need to do tad till they get settled in to a volume. she is a low producer so easier. lisa my friend has a large jersey. she gave 7 gallons in the start of her freshening. now we are 10 months into it and she is milking oad. it depends on the cow. i like share milking with the calf. then if you cannot get out to milk the calves do it for you. i get less cream this way though. mom keeps it for the calf.my jersey is a mini. the other one i have is a full size. we bred them all to mini semen. i prefer small. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy to see this thread. I am new to Mary janes website. I have been raising dairy goats for over 10 years now. I started with two American Nubians lilly and daisy when I was 10 after reading Heidi and falling in love with goats. It's been over 10 years since then and I have so many goat stories to share! I currently have 5 Lamanchas and 3 Nubian after a large down sizing when I started college. Now that I am done with school I'm working on building up the herd again. I am excitedly waiting for 3 does to deliver, the first one due March 8th! She is gigantic and already starting her nesting. I am working towards becoming a certified raw milk dairy, so I can share the wonders of fresh goats milk with the world

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  07:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Sarah. I am sure you are just full of goat knowledge. You have my favorite breed, the Lamancha. I have 3 and a Nubian. I bred her with a full Nubian buck and I can hardly wait to see her kids. Or kid maybe. She looks huge one day then not so big the next. I think maybe only Faith will have twins this year. And she better have me some girls this time. Since I have had her 3 years she's only had bucks. I bought her with her twin does. So she's due to have some does this time, I think. But the others might just have singles. That's ok. Since last year they had so many.

I was on another forum yesterday and a guy was talking about raw milk laws in Ga. changing for the better! I am going to call the Reps. And see if I can put my two cents in. I would love to have a real dairy. And to be able to sell legally would be so nice. I just don't like to be told HOW to do things. And the expense is so much.

Channah, I would always think after I'd milked a few goats it was like milking 1 cow. I am wondering if I'll be able to milk my cows when they are older. I am going to try, though.

It's a beautiful day here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Are the laws regarding raw milk different form state to state? I have had several people contact me regarding buying raw milk. Since I don't have the nubians anymore, I don't really have enough milk anyway. I never did sell them any milk. I was afraid of getting sued if something happened.
It is awful to have to worry about people sueing you. I need to learn how to pasturize my milk.
I heard you don't have to have any fancy equipment, that you can do it in a pot on the stove.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, here in Ga. it is ileagle (how do you spell that word? Shoot!) to sell raw milk. But you can be liscenced (well, there's another one) to sell for animal consumption only. But you have to be certified and have an inspector come every so often. And that's cow or goat. And the container has to be labled "For pet consumption only", too. I can do a goat or cow share where people "buy" part of the goat and they just pay for the upkeep and get the milk.

It's just such a big deal. Really crazy. I did sell feta cheese and milk at the Farmer's market a few years ago. Until I was tild that I could have every animal taken from me and fined tons of money plus serve jail time. That scared the you know what outta me. BUT I can sell the cheese from home.

So I will call and find out what's going on here. It does sound like it could be a change for the better. I sure hope so.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Gena, I wouldn't say that he is an Angora because his hair is all straight, he doesn't have any curl to it at all. And Kris I'm not really sure about his age see this lady just had to many mouths to feed and well anyone that knows me knows that if you have "almost" anything you want to get rid of just call and I'll be right over. So I ended up with 3 pop belly pigs and 6 goats of all breeds that most where running together and who really knows any thing about them but he was one of the older ones and being a buck I don't think that his breed is to jacked up. I'll see if I can get a good pic. of him and post it. And Victoria if you happen to find out anymore information on the minis let me know I would love to have a mini jersey just for milking, and raise the others for my beef. I wouldn't think that they would require as much feed as I'm feeding my beef yearlings. Thanks Ladies.
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
I thought that in a lot of places that you could sell small farm products if it was under a certain amount, and it was to individuals not at a market or trades day type thing. But that would be nice to know I have seen people here in Northeast Texas posting on craigslist raw goats milk frozen for sale, Me personally I haven't harvested enough to sell just for personal use.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile
I have had it for sale on my Local Harvest page. I had several calls for it. But it's so scary anymore. Like I'm afraid the milk police will be undercover and I'll not know it. I never gave any information over the phone when people would call. If they asked how much I sell it for i would tell them to come on out and we'll discuss it then. Actually, there were some inspectors that came to the Market one day when I was not there looking for me. No one "knew" anything so they left. I have never known them to come back. But that was quite scary.

So I will be calling my state Reps and see what's going on.

You just need to know what your state laws are before you get into selling raw milk. I hear stories all the time about people being arrested and thrown in jail.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page