Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  6:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hello all!

Does anyone know if I should "grain" my wethers for a few days/weeks before they go to the meat packer? I keep thinking maybe I should because of cattle going to a feed lot and all. They do get fed nothing but alfalfa presently.

Any help would be appreciated!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  8:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I personally have never grain fed my "boys" before slaughter. Or ever for that matter. You have to be careful with corn for wethers and bucks. So I never fed them anything. But it is a personal thing. If you think it might make the meat tenderer then do it. But if they have never had any I wouldn't.

We finally got some rain here! It already looks greener.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  8:50:50 PM  Show Profile
first i would like to agree with kris. it is a personal choice. i do not feed grain to any of my ruminant animals. new research has shown that feeding grain changes the good fats to bad fat. cows do not eat grain in their normal environment. our animals are hung for 21 days at the locker. always tender always good. i do not feed our jersey calf grain at all. she gets mamas milk hay and alfalfa and minerals and pasture. her mama belle that i milk gets sunflower seeds molasses and DE and alfalfa pellet non GMO. she has a great cream line loves her treats and is doing great. i was thinking if you google grain to livestock the research paper might come up. it was a female vet that did the research and she funded it.
Meat is more tender if there is a good kill and bleed on an animal that is not stressed. also the length of aging is different for different animals. not sure on goat. still learnng. just my opinion. you will know whats best for your family like kris said. just a thought or two. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  06:40:04 AM  Show Profile
howdy all you farm girls. well we are close to kidding now. never thought betty boop the boer could get bigger but she has. i will be glad when they ar eon the ground and healthy. ginger is quiet and staying off alone from the other girls. worked on barn again. clean again for kids. belle has been a dream to run across the road and to milk. hoping to get chickens moved out to new digs today. all is well and lots of milk. love not buying butter etc. at store. i must say i overheated some milk and boy does it change. it was gloppy and weird. who really knows what they do to store milk to make it look and smell and be stable and the same every time. my fresh milk is not any where need as stable as bottled milk.
KRIS hoping you are all better from your sick stomach. wanted to tell you all. new farm mishap here.lol dog some how got his leg stuck between bumper on car and fender. we were standing right there. papa lifted skimo while i lifted his head. he BIT me in the foot. he was stressed and did not mean to. he just chomped down when it hurt. so now my big toe that is a implant toe has holes in it. i am fine but i thought of all us farm girls and our owies. dog is fine and so am i. just a few teeth holes and a bruise.
A friend is coming today to help put stuff up outside that i was packing if we had to move. so we sent our payment 3 days ago. first new mortgage payment. sure felt good. now i want to clean up around here before snow flies. i need help. not much power these days. she is trading food for work. yipee. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Thanks girls, you pretty much validated what I was thinking anyway. No grain for these boys! :) They are already fat enough! LOL!!

You girls and your owies! Please be careful out there, way too much stuff to get into on the farm!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, Sherry, Sherry. My goodness girl. You get it from all sides, don't you? I sure hope it doesn't get infected now. I hope you get a bunch of cute little kids soon. How many are pregnant?

I can hardly believe haw green everything is from just those few days of rain here. I was looking in the backyard and the pasture next door and it's all green again. I'll be ready to put Mazie and Roxie back over in the pasture soon! I know they will be happy. It's been getting cooler here too. In the 70's all week!!!! I am loving this. All the windows are open again.

Candy, I am glad you made that choice. Really, if they are nice and healthy without the grain, they should have a good bit of meat. You won't get alot but it will be good. Maybe around 30-50 pounds each if your lucky. That's pretty good for goat. When are they going?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  07:35:19 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, well for sure so far no infection. so doing great here. wonderful warm days. cleaned patio yesterday and house. whew. so still waiting on kids. i thought 4 were bred but it looks like 3. its good if she is not bred. ebbie was the one that had the bottle jaw when i got here. she is still rough. she cracks and pops when she walks. betty boop is a reg. boer. she is HUGE and SLOW NOW. she walks as slow as a sloth.lol ginger is a reg. lamancha. then marilynn is a rescue. she looks nubian boer. she is very large framed. we shall see. i peeked this am and no new ones yet. they were due on the 24th. so since no kids i am betting it was 2nd. cycle that took. that would mean mid oct. i think i have the dates wrong. they stay on the rocks and seam very uncomfortable. so we shall see. KRIS should i do a cdt now to help kids? is there a shot the does need now before kidding? thanks

CANDY earth works out of nebraska has DE. they will ship. i meant to say food grade bone meal. we use farm grade DE. earthworks on line has it.they ship. just an idea. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  7:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. If they haven't kidded yet you could go ahead and give the does a shot of CDT now. I try to do it 6 weeks before they are due. It should be ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  8:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Have been lurking on the sheep and goat page but I am not a fiber gal--milk animals for me. I am living in NW MT near Idaho/Canada borders, raise Saanens, Nubians and a togg, a few crosses of all. Am starting into Highland cattle here soon.

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, welcome amy. how much land do you have? i am very small but i use the neighbors land also. doing that lets me have more animals. i am raising dexters for beef. i like their size and many other things. KRIS i will give them cdt tomorrow. ya know i think ginger is in heat. i have the bucks by the girls and she likes them. i am disappointed some. but whatever it is it is.lol so i will wait a few months to breed her so she kids in april may. better for all less snow. i locked betty the boer up last night in case she kids. i doubt she is ready yet. still no BIG udder. she has never kidded here so not sure how she behaves. so still waiting. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy. I am so glad you came over here. I have only 2 goats left. I really downsized! I am looking for 2 bucks because I have a Lamancha and a Nubian. I have a friend who is going to go in half with me for a Lamancha buck. Are you milking all yours now? I am only once a day right now. I only get a little over half a gallon. I went to the feed store to get the 16% all grain I always get and he was out. So had to get 10% and the milk went way down. Sandy, the Nubian, hates 10%. She will not eat it. It looks exactly the same. But she will not eat it. So she will be happy in the morning. I got 2 bags today of the 16%. Hopefully her milk production will go back up again.

Sherry, ya just never know about those goats. I have always been pretty good at the due dates so far. Because I don't keep bucks and only use them one month out of the year I can pretty much narrow it down. And they have always gotten pregnant. So good luck and here's to some gaot kids soon!

Ok, does anyone else have trouble with cows tearing down fences all the time? I have only 2 and they seem to like the OTHER side of the fence. I got home today and Roxie, not Mazie, was on the other field. I got to looking and at the road the fence is torn down and even the barbed wire was broken. I looked and there was Roxie over in the field. Mazie was where she's supposed to be. I had to look twice. Anyway, called the SIL and they came over. I had to repair the fences in the other pasture and drag a cattle panel back over there before we put them in there. But we got them both in. With the rain we've had, the grass has grown and there is alot over there now. So hopefully they will be happy for awhile. It's always something!

Now I can let the turkeys back out again for awhile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LindaCal
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Linda
Alexandria Tennessee
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  03:56:48 AM  Show Profile
I want to have chickens and goats.... Is there any one that is on here that could give me some advise? I have about an acre of land with a small out building I want to convert for a couple of goats and about 3 to 6 chickens. Can I have them both together? Also, I have a pile of fence posts available to me by a neighbor. But I still need to put up fencing... Is hog fencing the best for goats? and do I have to electrify it? I want to have maybe a Nubian for milk and maybe a couple of Pygmy goats for fun....
Linda from Middle TN. I live in Alexandria TN. I'm looking for [b]anyone[/b] close to partner up with and share information...
thanks for any advice on the matter...I've red numerous books on goats and chickens and I want to do everything right before I delve into anything.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile
welcome linda, so glad you could join us. i love my animals. we have one milk cow. she is wonderful. i keep my chickens in a seperate area than my goats etc. in the yard or field they do well together. chicken poop can be messy so mine sleep in a different area. chickens will stir up the cow poop and help spread it. thats a good thing.
There are lots of farm girls on here to help you along. so happy farm days for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  07:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. I have all my animals together. Chickens are great to have with cows and goats because they will scratch around the poop for grains and that way it sort of composts it. They also keep bugs down. I have electric fencing out back for the goats. They don't go near it even when it's off. Also field fence works good. And the cattle panels. They will go right through barbed wire. So not good for goats. They also need shelter. A good 3 sided one works good if it's facing South. You will need more than 1 goat as they are herd animals and will not like being alone at all. Also you need to research poison weeds and bushes for goats. They need minerals and hay. If you milk they will need an all grain mix. I feed a 16% al grain when they are in milk. I hope you get some. But be ready for them!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey All!

Busy few days with work!

Kris - The boys are going on October 12th. I kinda feel sad because I know they will be scared when we put them in the trailer and take them away but it is still better than selling/giving them to someone who doesn't take care of them. I have had that happen a couple of times already, attacked by dogs.

Linda - We use cattle panels to build goat pens. They are a little taller than the hog panels. You need to make sure you have posts no more than eight feet apart because the goats like to rub/scratch along the fencing. I love my goats! I have Alpines. Soon, I will be down to grandmommy Nike, mom Madeline and baby Abigail.

Kris - My milk production has actually picked up this past week! I don't know what that is all about but I'll take it! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I'm glad you're getting more milk now. I think mine will be giving more too with the better grain and more grass to eat. We had a pretty good bit of rain so everything's looking so much better. I hate the part where you have to take the guys away to the butcher. I know they are scared. But I know what you mean.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  07:14:44 AM  Show Profile
good morning farmgirls, having big fun days on the farm here. with help from lisa we ran our 2 dexter cows and calf and the bull through the squeeze chute. jake our vet was there. we bangs tested freckles the dexter belted calf.she is 5 months old. so cute. we gave vaccinations and wormed them. i was able to climb up on the chute and reach in and nip off warts. he had been out to pasture. not on our farm. we had him loaned out. jake said they get the warts when they are shy on minerals. so he will get some immune booster to help also. this is gross but the thought is... if you feed the warts back to the bull it gets the immune system kicked up. they usually do not get the warts again. he is so buff and thick and has curly hair on his head/ jake palpitated the girls. so hippo is about 4 months pasture bred. ida who is a registered dexter was open. she had a free ride all winter. we thought she was bred. so when he checked her she was in heat. so she got to go see mr. bill our bull.jake said great timing. so we shall see if it takes. she was with a bull in the field and never took. i am hoping to get a reg. calf next yr. from her. this year i need steers. we shall see. jake will come here next week to do the animals here. we are testing belle for tb etc. then the goats. and pigs. today i am going to go pick apples. yum. my animals love them. so i am going to dry a bunch for winter treats.we did a visual on cocoa and dinner and edible. next time its their turn. so happy working days on the farm sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:59:44 AM  Show Profile
I think Abby must be in heat. She has barely any milk right now. Sandy has picked up. But I am getting less than half a gallon right now. I have got to find a buck for them.

Sherry, yuck! Cutting off warts does not sound like a very fun job to do. I hope it's a one time thing. And I hope the cow gets bred too. You are always so busy. How do you do it? I do have more energy and want to do more this time of year. I think it's the urgency to get things done. And the pantry full. I wish I could feel this way in summer. I am drying apples right now. They are pretty small this year but still very juicy and sweet. I have a 4 tray dryer. But it takes forever. I hope you get all your work done.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile
kris you can have my bucks. whew. we ran them back to a back pen last night. they are screaming for the girls today. betty boop the boer has milk colored mucous today. very slow staying off by her self. she looks like babies are more under. we shall see. i am going to be surprised who is preg. and whos not i think.lol
So i want to say that i have a few things i cant live without. 1-a halter on my milk cow that has a chin chain. when i pull the chain it tightens under her chin. ouch she does what i say. i have control of her this way.2 i have a secure stanchion to milk in. i am safe.3 a squeeze chute for cows 4 a stun gun for cows called a cattle prod. it works good i shocked myself on a not so smart farmgirl roundup.lol now i am getting nose prongs for belle. i have my squeeze chute at lisas. i need the prongs to hold her head so we can draw blood safely for tb etc.when we used them the other day they held a huge white park bulls head completely still for horn trimming. his horn wants to grow into his head. 5- my medicine kit. A..for emergency it is in a suitcase and portable. i have pain killer antibiotics bloat iv lines needles etc in there. B a kit in barn for incidental meds etc. 6- i have to say there would be no milk without the surge belly bucket milker. i have crippled fingers not real bad but they do want to replace thumb joints i said no... anyway...i can not milk by hand. love my machine. now with lisas help i have clear milk line adapters. i can see when she is empty. i can squeeze her bag to find this out but why. the machine is so wonderful. i love love cow milk.6- my golf cart since walking is not a big option. i can but have no power when i get where i am going. i am strong just no red cells. 7 - the TRACTOR KUBOTA YAY my strong arm. it goes beyond the call of duty. my power is in my tools.
What do you need on your place these days farmgirls??
i just went and picked apples. i am going to go to alees post on apples happy days farmgirl sisters sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:43:13 PM  Show Profile
oh and isnt the wart thing gross. they say from not enough minerals the virus can grow. the cows immune system is tied up with mineral needs.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
One thing I would really like to have would be a concrete block house for my goats. We all know how hard they can be on anything wood! LOL!! I am hoping to build it some time this winter. Luckily, we are not too cold here in the winter. My only thing to figure out is how to attach a metal roof to concrete block walls. Oh well, we will get if figured out! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:33:40 PM  Show Profile
my hubbie could explain how. we have many metal roofs. they hold up well in the desert dont they candy? ESPECIALLY

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:40:08 PM  Show Profile
sorry girls my fingers are goofy today. so i was saying especially for goats and pigs block and metal work great. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, thanks for the welcome. ?--do you give them hay on the stand, then for milking. Where are you in Oregon?

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile
SHerry, email me your address so I can send you the kefir. I am going to town later today and can't find your address. So gotta have it ASAP! Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page