Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile
i love cheese too. yum. i have milk coming out my ears today.lol lol i am telling you. it is mozz. cheese making day. i have one cheese press. gotta have a whole bunch. so mozz. does not need a press. so mass production today when i get home. one of my friends is coming over to wash the inside walls of 5th wheel trailer. it smells like perfume so i cant do it. it would make my liver sick. when its all cleaned up i will use the kitchen. i am going to do my cheese etc. in there. eventually we will plumb the guest house with water. then i will use it. i need it out of my kitchen. way too much load on things. its not the milk itself. i have a milk fridge. its making cheese etc. in my house kitchen. then dinner and milking. the kitchen gets backed up. i hate a messy kitchen. i am going to go help a friend then come home and do cheese. i have a fondness for cow milk.
kris you are doing the rodeo roundup lately. gads girl. glad your hunny was there to help ya. my electric fence stopped working. so belle just sticks her head over for the better blade of grass. we so need to get the fence up across the road. hoping this weekend some will get done. i wish i had some turkeys to butcher this year. life is big on the farm aint it girls. well i still have 40 fryers to do. sophie is the cutest calf. she is that red blond color. looks just like a baby deer.
i am selling milk these days. not as much as i need to. but i need a lot of milk right now for learning to make cheese. then the pigs and chickens eat my mistakes. well gotta run. happy days on the farm to all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
The yogurt just came out curds and whey so the pigs feasted again! Making it the way it says in goats produce too today. Should be ready around 7. Sherrye one of the neatest presses I have seen was from Brazos Valley Cheese in Waco Tx. They cost $200. I haven't moved on to hard cheese yet so I don't have one. I bet your icecream turns out wonderful. The more cream and sugar the better I think. My kids favorite ice cream is Big red. You just add a can of big red and less milk. Sometimes we add strawberries. Yum Yum
Kristin, I wanted to substitue the chevre for cream cheese, when I get it down and it comes out right. Have you done this? And how long to you let yours drain? I let mine drain overnight, do you think that was to long?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile
That's what mine reminded me of, cream cheese. The batch that at first didn't turn out. It was so much better than the "good" batch. So maybe to get cream cheese it should not be drained as long? I don't know. I have not made any on purpose yet. I have a cheese press I got from Hoegger's. It's the smaller one. A friend has it. I am glad you mentioned it because I would have forgotten about it. I need to see if she's used it at all yet. It was about $100. Now is a good time to make the hard cheese.

Sherry, would you please slow down a little? You make me tired! How do you do so much?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, well i am tired today. it will be a big day too. so its a farmgirl up day. the medical condition i have< a dna thing> causes me to feel pain 24 7 so i cope by moving around. if i can stay occupied and moving then its easier for me. i am swimming in milk girls wow.today when i get home i shall sort the milk. give the animals the milk from the 4th on.
My girls have picked their stalls for kidding. so cute. they sure waddle when they walk. they are due sept. 24th. very excited and a little nervous too. their will be 4 goat moms and belle.
Are you girls using a culture for creme cheese? kandra i looked at the cheese site. saw no presses. still looking. going to make a lot of mozz. yet this week. well gotta milk belle. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, how are you doing today? Any goat babies yet? I wish I had some right now. I am going to start looking for the bucks to breed my girls. I am going to go in half with the guy up the road. We both need a Lamancha buck so that will work out. And I will need a Nubian buck too for Sandy. I am so hoping I get some girls from these two next spring. It's about time for them to have some girls. They've only had bucks the past few years. So I am hoping. And Abby will be 10 next year. I really want a girl from her to carry on her good milking genes. My friend has her buck from this year so I hope he will produce some really good milkers. He will breed my friend's doe next month I hope. She didn't get pregnant this last time with a buck that stayed for 3 months.

I hope all the goats and cows are doing good. It's really strange just having 2 goats now. But it's what I can handle right now. Maybe more later. And Mazie will have a calf in March.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  07:18:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Hi Melina. I think that's the reason I never got Sanaans because they all look alike. But last year with all the white kids I got they could have been Sanaan. I had 13 kids and 10 of them were all white like the dad. And I used another white buck this time. 3rd year in a row. You'd think I'd know by now. But I keep hoping for some color. The Nubian buck is all black but with the Doberman look. My Sandy is all red. So I can't wait to see what her kids will look like. She does have pretty babies. They are all getting bigger every day. I was noticing udders today. Abby and Faith's are getting bigger. Sadie's are lumpy with bumps all over. I hope that clears up. Any ideas what could cause that? She does jump over the fence.

Saanens dominate color over nubians. All will be white w. an occasional color splash--but nothing like your nubians. If you want color, breed to nubian or lamancha! Happy Goating!

We'll have to post cheese recipes here soon. And talk about all the ways we use all this good milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  07:21:32 AM  Show Profile
My reply got lost in the quote:

Saanens dominate color over nubians. All will be white w. an occasional color splash--but nothing like your nubians. If you want color, breed to nubian or lamancha! Happy Goating!

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  07:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I hacve made chevre the same way for nearly 5 yrs www/ same book you use,. I use 2 gal of milk, 3 drops rennet in 1/3 cup water, pour it all in! 1/8 tsp mesophyllic or chevre culture from Hoeggers. Wait til it is yogurt like or a bit harder--12 hrs at least, strain it, then I pile a bunch of plates w/ a cast iron skillet on top to weight it down a bit...I like it a bit firmer. One thing I learned is I have to heat it to 130-140 nad let it cool to 80 to add culutre/rennet cuz it never smelled/tasted right otherwise. The bacteria in the raw milk competes w. the culture bacteris and I thought it was ICK! You can contact me if you have nay questions. Have my hubby all learned up on this so I can move onto to "harder" cheeses!LOLOL

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning girls, no babies yet. they are due on the 24th i think.lol well today more preparedness going on. stalls are about ready. i still have 45 fryers to do too. i have the good feeling of being tired from work. today i shall mom and fokd clothes scoop poop. so an easy day here. belle FINALLY was good to me. she came up to be milked. she went in ate and i put the machine on. she did not kick me.i milked her for 15 mins. and cleaned her up and out she went. the rodeo roundup and kicking was hard. hope this is a sign of an easy milking future. i sold another 4 gallons yesterday. the pigs love it. i read last night on KFC that clabbored milk is a good pig and chicken wormer. i also use DE in their feed. i use ACV in their water. i am soooo swimming in milk. i love the ability to feed it to everyone here. i think i would miss my animals if i only had 2 goats. they are my company.
Kris are you running your cow into the milk room and getting her used to going in yet? just curious. we made ours for a mini cow and now i have belle. she has to be careful going in and out. its small for her. but she has will so she finds a way. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  3:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals! So what do ya think about this? I am wondering if I should take Maizy down to once a day milking. So far I've been milking her 2X a day but since it was rough starting out and her getting that mastitis in her left quarters back in June she seems to be only producing round abouts 2 gallons a day give or take. I'm still happy with that production because it could be bad enough that we didn't get any at all (gosh hope that'd never happen)! I'm curious though to see if I took her down to once per day if she'd still produce those 2 gallons. Sassafrass is growing like a weed...almost 3 months! I've been bottle feeding her because I hardly got any milk when she was on mom. Though slowly I have been weaning her this month because she eats a good amount of hay and sweet feed. Don't think I'll totally take her off milk though for a while. So what do you ladies think...should I give it a go since she isn't producing the mass amounts she should have been? Thanks for any input!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile
good morning farmgirls, so happy to be up and doing today. belle stepped on my foot last night. oh i am glad it was soft ground i fell when she got me. so i landed on my bum. charlie horse butt muscle.lol so i would have to say i learn as i go for sure. last night i learned the cow goes right not left. so next time i want her to turn i will go to the right. so much to learn. this is the best part. even with all the worries and owies.
Kris had strongly warned me about feeding the calf to much. well i let mom and baby be together. sophie got the runs from jersey milk. the night was dark and so very windy. the wind howled through the barn. i ran to call the vet. went and found my KFC book. read about scours again. jake my vet called. i had to run the neighborhood for pepto bismal. it was so fun solving the problem. the great calf and cow adventures. it started pouring down rain. the thunder was so loud. gave baby her pepto. hung out awhile with my animal family in the cozy barn. i love storms. i was raised on the pacific ocean. dad would take me to the ocean every time it stormed big. i am still considering a different cow though. she still kicks me when i take the inflations off. my hands are crippled and bent. it is difficult to get the suction off the teat. sooooo lisa my hero came. we milked 2 times yesterday together. she could see how belle is difficult. belle stepped on my fingers the other day. i know it sounds crazy to go through this. i wanted to milk and be on a farm from a very young age. now i am 59 and fulfilling my dream. i will milk.a good jersey here is 1500.00 so thats a lot for us now. i would like to send belle to pasture. she could raise calves. she is a 2 teater so a good one for learning on. well as long as you done get stepped on. most of my hurts are from my poor choices not the cow.there is a lot to learn and there lies the challenge part i love. i love the problem solving. well now i would love a cow that just knows her stuff. joann on kfc says for her number one is attitude of cow. i agree. belle is so willing. she is just a little big for me. i am small and not a lot of power. strong voice though. i am happy with what i have. will be open for something new though. a dairy guy called yesterday about 11 jerseys he had for sale. now we are getting set up for kids. i have 4 stalls and four goats. they have chosen their stall. my favorites are kidding first. ginger is due the 24th. she is a lamancha. more to do. more challenges to overcome. i love it all.
Leanne when i milked buttercup and went to OAD i lost a lot of my milk volume. it sounds like she is cutting back for sure. is she bred? when is she due? sorry if you said that and i missed it. if your getting 2 gallons now you can be sure you will get less on OAD. hows your cow for milking? belle is from a dairy and set in her ways. she was never handled much on her bag so if i try she kicks. i tried a kick stop. i could not get the kick stop to stay on.lol well enough jacking my jaw. hope this is not toooo long a post happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  06:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, how's the calf? I use Kaopectate for scours and plain yogurt or kefir in a big syringe a few times a day til I start seeing solid poop again. I hope she's better. And my goodness, you have been through some stuff. I think I would have given up and put the cow in the freezer by now. Yikes! I am so afraid I am going to hurt myself really bad and not be able to do anything around here. And I am the only one here. It's hard to get help. So I have to be very careful. I hope you are feeling better this morning.

Leanne, if you go to OAD milking, you could give her extra feed to boost the amount. I have 2 goats thet I am milking OAD and have started giving them about twice as much feed. I am getting almost a gallon from them together. It has gone up since I gave them extra. Plus when they have more to eat during the day they give more. Also, is the calf still on her at all? If she is and once you wean her you will see a huge increase in milk.

My Mazie is getting bigger every day. Although she was always big. So in 6 months she will look like she could explode. And when do udders start filling? She is a heifer so they are still just teats right now. I just wondered when they would start filling up. I am so excited for a calf around here again.

Yesterday I had a guy come bush hog the garden firld where the cows are now. And the pasture where they were. But it's SO dry right now everything's brown. So as soon as he was done Mazie and Roxie were at the fences trying to eat on the other side. And the stuff growing over the fences. So I had to go last night and clip all the stuff really low to keep them from tearing down the fences. ANd I am praying for rain. I might have to call and get a round bale of hay delivered. I threw some out this morning for them and they were eating it up. But I only have 80 square bales for the goats. I was just going to do round bales for the cows.

So I hope all is well with everyone. And all the cows and goaties too. How is the weather where ya'll are? Has there been rain? Or are ya'll dry too? I am getting a little worried about all this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile
morning girls, i am sooo much better today. i must say after i posted i went down to the barn to do cleaning. i fell over a water trough and rammed my leg below my knee.lol gads ok enough of this. i am so peppered right now with bruises. well i do fall alot anyway. my illness is a nerve thing. so sometimes i go left when i try to go right. so with cows this can be a problem. i am just fine and dandy. sore for sure but good shape. i slept so good last night. warming sophies bottle. thanks kris. i will give her some probio. i have the dynamite excel stuff. its a powder. good idea. so yesterday i used the tractor and put clean shavings on top of clean dirt for the pigs. i cover their poop and where they drink with clean dirt. they just have a blast. this year for butcher we have 4 girls. they line up under the bucket on the rig. then when i dump the sandy dirt they let if fall allover them. then they run and roll and bark. so cute. finished it off with some hay 2 bales on top to roll and play in. fixed their house with new bedding. went to the garden and threw them a cabbage. HAPPY PIGS. marilynn got into chicken feed. so i gave her bloat stuff. she is pooping bad but that is good. today more stall work for the 4 does due to kid. the neighbors want to watch if its daytime. watching the cald sophie was so fine.
Kris glad you got your fields cut. so there ya go you farmgirl more babies. i just love kids and baby chicks. buffs are fine chickens. i think i want to be done with baby chicks till spring. the kids and calf are enough. when are you butchering your fryers. i start next week. i have 45 to do. then 2 bucks. i would love to see a pic of maize kris. her teats start to fill just before labor i think. she can start bagging up before then. looks like clouds and mild temps today. great for working outside. happy days to all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  10:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Kris- no I don't have the calf on Maizy anymore..I tried letting her on her in the afternoon instead of bottle feeding her and it just made the calfs stools really loose-too much milk! Sass has been growing like a weed though. Thanks for letting me know what you do....I think I will work my way up to OAD milking over the next 2 weeks. We still have gads of milk with just 2 gallons a day...I couldn't imagine what yall do with the 6+ gallons some of you gals get! Sherry you're brave! I would sent Maizy packing if she kept that behavior for a while!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Yep, me too. I don't know how she does it. I think Roxie will be like that. She's too fiesty. And just a year old. But Mazie has settled down alot since she has been pregnant. She lets me pet her all over. Even whack horse flies! But Roxie wants to put her head down and start coming at me. I have to whack her alot. Soemtimes she's ok. She was trying to get in the turkey pen awhile ago and I had to get her good. I don't know why I thought it was later but it was only 6:00 when I went to put the turkeys up.

I wish I got 2 gallons a day. I only get about 3/4 of a gallon now with 2 goats. But that's ok. It's still enough for the grandkids and us and to make kefir.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
hi farmgirls, i am not sure i am brave or stupid. i do get hurt these days. i love what i do. sometimes its my fault. since i am still learning. sometimes my choices are wrong.lol so yesterday i helped the hoof trimmer with hooves. Well here i am holding a little 5 month runt goat. so cute. we are looking to be sure i trim right. while not watching another goat rammed my cshun bone where i had fallen before. it was already huge bruised and my whole shin swollew. well callie has horns. everone hears her get my shin. wham she went. well it hurts. lol so i am done now with farm owies. i have had enough. i do remember when buttercup came fresh last year the first month was so hard. she had never been milked before. that was a rodeo roundup for sure. so things will settle down. its been 3 weeks so far. looks like rain today. so different here weather wise. i would love to see picks of your calf and cow. i love once a day milking. right now belle has too much milk for that. so cheese making is on the schedule. kris did you get all your fields done. we move the chickens today or tomorrow to their new home. then the place for milking will be larger with a room for pouring milk.sophie is doing great. no runny poop now. waiting on goat babies. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, very first thing this morning after getting out of bed I see Mazie on the driveway. I knew she was going to get out somehow. I had fixed the fence as best as I could but she is a crafty cowgirl. So on with the clothes and outside to assess the situation. I have several cattle panels over in the other pasture so I go over there and get one. Drag it down the driveway. Go back and grab some apples off the tree. Go back and show Mazie what I have. Take off running back up the driveway with a big red cow chasing me with my hand in her mouth. I get her back inside the gate. Then go get another panel. Drag it over there. Got them both up. Then I have some rails from a chain link fence laying there. I grab them and some rope. Tie them onto the top of the fence. I hope I have fixed the problem for ahile. She's laying down by the big round bale of hay chewing her cud and thinking about her next escape. I can see it in her eyes. I swear that cow is thinking. She's not done yet. I told her she's nothing but TROUBLE! And worse that 4 pigs! She weighs as much as 4 pigs. Anyway, so that was a little of my morning so far. Then I went and planted a pretty spirea bush I had bought yesterday where one of my azaleas had dies. Got that done. Then watered all the plants. Now I am eating MY breakfast! It's all about the critters around here before me or anyone else.

Sherry, I'm starting to feel like you with all the cuts and bruises. I can't do anything without bleeding anymore. A friend of mine has Jersey cows and she showed me her big ole bruise she got falling down the steps with a bucket of grain before milking. She really hurt her back and rear too. Her elbow was bruised real good. That's just life on the farm. It's dangerous!

I hope you got some rain. We didn't. Just rained about 3 seconds. Yep. That's about it. Yes, all the fields are done and now I wish I hadn't done it. That's why Mazie wants out. I need to weed eat now around the fences.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:03:13 AM  Show Profile
hey kris, you be careful out there. no new bruises for me this am. glad your ok. those turkeys can cut you up bad. sounds like its getting close to turkey time. i still have the fryers to butcher. it did rain here HARD. so no need to irrigate this week. our irrigation run ends the middle of oct. did your arm swell up or is it ok today? i am soo tired of catching and chasing cows. you tell maizy to just stay home. goodness. belle is finally being good in the milk room. last night she came in milked and went out no problem. i made a triple batch of mozz. yesterday and a double batch of choc. ice cream and butter. today i will start colby and more mozz. love all this milk. happy days sherrye

No goat babies yet. so could be they were bred the next month. i sure hope its now not oct.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Well, I made an appointment for the two "stinking boys" to go to the butcher on October 12th. DH said he was really surprised I was going to do that. I told him there can only be so many "pet" goats running around the county!

We are taking them to the U of A Animal Sciences meat processing facility. We called two other processing places in the county but they were already taking appointments into the middle of November! We thought we could sneak in this week because the County Fair isn't until this weekend but I guess everyone else is doing the same thing!

Anyway, it kind of makes me sad but I am also happy that we will have "free" meat in the freezer. DH has already started calling them both Pork Chop!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I don't know if I will be able to butcher these guys. They are so cute. But they are getting a little aggravating. Most days they are good. I looked out the front window awhile ago and both cows, both goats and all the turkeys were in the pasture together. I should have taken a picture but didn't. The guy that came to bush hog saw them all out in the same pasture and was amazed they could all live ok together. Oh, and some chickens were with them too. What do you do with all that mozz. cheese? I know you don't get that much of actual cheese from all that milk but still. That's alot of cheese. I have 2 1/2 gallons of milk right now. My DD keeps forgetting to take some. SO I need to make some cheese again.

Candy, we have a really good butcher here that we have to make an appointment about 6 months in advance. They are that good. They don't do deer though. There are a few others that do that. That last buck we butchered ourselves at a friend's house. He doesn't have the saws to get the better cuts. That's the only thing about home butchering.

I was walking last night past the cows where I took Mazie to get bred. I saw the bull. He is HUGE! I am worried now. Officially worried. I must not have seen him up close when I took her there. She's pretty big. But I have always heard to breed with a small bull the first time. Oh boy, this guy is quite big. And all his calves are black. There was a very new calf and it didn't look too awfully big. So maybe she'll be ok. I will have to put a few vets on the speed dial just in case.

It has not rained here since. Aug. 17th. It is so dry. I saw a lone cloud a few minutes ago. It looked strange up there all alone. Maybe it has some friend's that are following it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile
kris, i thought the same thing. THEN they got big and bigger and not so cute. kept making lots of noise. they tasted great. i think maiie will be ok. i do have an emergency kit for kidding and calving. i used it on belle this year. we were very glad i had planned ahead. i had gloves and cmk iv solution needles etc. maybe our rain here on the pacific will come your way. it really did pour down rain. for the desert in sept. very rare. CANDY i am loving my pork chops. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  09:31:13 AM  Show Profile
I am getting less and less milk from my 2 goat girls lately. About a pint less. Everything's so dried up here. And I don't want to start feeding the goats hay just yet. I put them out with the cows every few days. We have got to have some rain here. Things would start growing again if it just would.

Roxie has been in heat the past few days now. She is driving poor Mazie crazy. She jumps on her every little while. Mazie had rammed her several times so far. They look like whales out there. And so far they have stayed in. No breakouts since I fixed the fence.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

I have noticed the milk production is down a bit here too. I think it is just getting to be that time of year. I need to start thinking about bringing in a "gigolo" for Maddy goat! I think I'll wait until the boys go on October 12th though, I only have two pens and one empty horse stall to utilize.

It is trying to rain here today. We have one of those tropical storms from out of the Gulf of Mexico trying to sneak in. So far though it has only been some sprinkles here at our house.

Glad you got the cows to stay put!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  7:07:05 PM  Show Profile
We are supposed to get rain this weekend and cooler temps! Yay! North of us had a pretty bad storm go through earlier this evening.

I hope you can find a good guy, Candy. They are hard to come by. I have called a few people so far but haven't went to look at any yet. There's a lady I walk with that has goats but she doesn't know what they are. Had them for a few years too. They just wandered up and they keep them out with the cows. There is a buck. So I will go and see in a few days.

Did you get rain?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  06:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

We did get some rain! YAY! Not as much as they had predicted but here in the high desert we will take anything we get!

I actually have my choice of bucks this year! There is a place down the road that has Toggenburgs, I took Madeline there the first year I bred her. Last year, I borrowed a Nubian buck from one of the guys at the Farmers Market. This year, one of the other guys at the Market has offered to let me borrow his Nubian buck! I think they just want someone else to feed them for a month! LOL!!

Hope you get some rain this weekend!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page