Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  11:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone, My goats are doing fine. although they are not little anymore. I now have a 6 month old and two 4 month olds. I can't believe how time flys. I have been blessed with lots of good, rich milk. I feel so blessed! I am now going to make soap! I ordered lots of neat soaps supplies and can't wait for them to get here.
Hope you get to make your cheese soon Kristin. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  7:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh my girls are doing great. Maizy is givong me round abouts 2 gallons a day; sometimes more and sometime just a wee bit less. The left side has not really produced very much since having that congestion and such back in June. Maizy's udder has been healing up just great. She still has her onry days though. Sassafrass the calf is getting so big. She is doing so well. I have been working on being able to pick up her hooves and leading her around...she is so good and sweet and becoming trusting. Sass will be a great dairy cow when her time comes. Here soon we're going to be breeding Maizy again; to a red angus bull. Oh and we have a goat. My inlaws had twins at the end of june; a buck and doeling! We are getting the doeling. I think it'll be a couple more weeks but she is going to be in the fair parade here in Hamilton Mt...hopefully my husband will take pics and I'll get my butt in gear to post them of all our animals for yall to see!

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  8:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool, Leanne!! Does she have a name yet? What breed is she? Goats are so much fun.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:10:20 PM  Show Profile
She is a mainly a nubian...I'm not sure what the cross is. I'm pretty excited to get her..a new adventure! She is super sweet and very vocal. No name yet, my husband and I can't agree on a name! My son and I are riding on the float. The theme is Barnyards and Backyards. Some of our chickens and ducks are going on the float too. Can't wait. How are everyone elses animals doing?

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  05:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Okay gals...should I be calling my AI guy this am? Maizy will not shut up! She woke me up around 455 am and just continues to Moo (right by my window). Lastnight after I was done milking I opened the stanchion and she didn't back out like usual she just stayed there for like 5 or so extra mins. She's being a little onry. I went out to call her over to see what was wrong she gave me a big moo and when I went to stratch her face she used her horn as a warning. She did this at beg of this month several days before I saw a ton of egg white mucous. So its gotta be heat but I think were only on day 12 from when I saw all the egg white stuff. What do you ladies think?

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  06:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Leanne, I would say call the AI guy and see what he says. If she continues mooing all day I think she's in heat. And you only have a very small window while that's going on. I never saw mucous on Mazie. Just a little puffiness. You be careful around her right now with those horns! Ouch! And congrats on entering the goat world. If she's Nubian, get ready for a loud goat. She will need a goat friend and that will keep her quieter. But Nubians are generally a lot more vocal than any other goats. But 1 goat is not good. You will need another one. Even if it's a wether. You might want to get her brother and have him wethered. It's not hard to do. Just band him. I have a friend who works for a vet and they just cut and pull. It's much easier and no infection. Anyway, sounds like your farm is growing fast. And have fun in the parade. That souunds like one I would like to see.

Channah, did I see somewhere that your goats might be pregnant again?

Sherry, did Isabel have a calf yet?

I have to get on the ball and find some bucks to breed my 2 girls in a few months. I almost forgot. And it might take a few months to find some. I need a Lamancha and a Nubian.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  07:26:50 AM  Show Profile
leanne your cow and calf sound so sweet. congrats. on having milk. i am very excited to have milk soon. isabel is leaking mucous last night. so i think she still has to loose her plug. i think next 48 hours we will have a baby. so hoping for a girl. barn is almost clean and ready. i am going to clean the milk roon today. lisa brought me 3 gallons of cow milk from fancy. yipee. cheese making time. these summer months have just buzzed by. i feel fall in the air in the mornings.

Kris how are your shin splints? such a drag makes walking so hard. hope you found shoes that will help. are your girls bred back? i forgot?

channah let us know how your soap turns out.

Well gotta go across the road and check bell. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  07:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone,
Sherry, I sure will!

Kristin, yes you heard right. I had all the girls out one day and the next minute I see my buck out with them. I run as fast as I can down to our field and there he was. Turns out he can unlock his door and pushed it open ( we got that fixed fast. I am not sure if any of them are pregnant as it is really hard to tell with all my girls but if they are they should kid around Christmas eve or Christmas day. So I switched everything around so if any of my bucks get out they will go straight into a diffrent open field.
So far I don't think any of them are pregnant but its still early to tell.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile
those boys are hard to hold in. i have 2 rescue goats. i was going to wait till they were healed before i bred them. the buck had 4 girls and he still went through 2 fence lines and bred the rescues. such is life. you will be cold in dec. we are here too. i think i read you have a barn. thats good. hope all goes well for you.happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry! I keep checking here to see if Bell has had her baby yet [:)} but I see we're all still waiting. Thinking about ya! Have a good day, gals!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherry, yes it is very cold here in December but I think will get through it ok ( I hope). We do have a barn/shed and like I did with Ebony, I will bring the babies in if need be. When Ebony was born it was freezing so she sleep by my bed, well she sleeped in my bed because she wouldn't go to sleep any other way. She would kick up a fuss if she didn't sleep with me or she would wake me up at 3 in the morning. lol Now she's so big I don't think I could get her in my bed. lol those were sweet times though.
I hope everything goes well for you too.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
P.s. I failed on my part now they are in the Lords hands.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:14:45 PM  Show Profile
Yay I am so excited...I got ahold of my AI guy and he said if Maizy wasn't bawling in the morning to give him a call and he would come by 8 am. So when checking her tonight I see that her vulva is that pinkish color it turns right before and just a little puffy (sorry tmi) So I believe we are in business to have her bred! Sorry just too excited because I'm learning so many things

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Wonder why he said if she wasn't bawling to call him. I would love to know. And I hope he is successful! Can't wait to hear now how it went. And little Sassafrass is 2 months old today!

Channah, sometimes we have NO control over these critters. That happened to me last year. I didn't want to breed the does til Nov. but Abby had other plans. So I had to go by what they wanted, not me. I think these animals are so much smarter than we give them credit for. So if they are, they are. And if not, you'll know to keep gates shut and fences fixed and bucks FAR away from does!

Sherry, any baby yet? I sure hope you get at least one calk so you can have some milk soon. I would be crazy by now with all this waiting! But they sure don't care, do they?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  07:07:00 AM  Show Profile
oh happy days for your cow leanne. heres hoping it works. i am going to tail bleed preg check this year. like aunt jenny i dont want to get skunked again this year. no calf yet. i was so tired from a huge week i am glad she waited to calve. i still need to get the milk room done. chicken poop and shavings in there now. yuck. i am drinking lisas cow milk yum. her cow fancy really produces and the cream line is wonderful.
I am with kris why wait till shes not bawling to ai. we thought when they are hollering they are looking for a boy friend.i know its all about timing.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  07:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY!! So excited for you Leanne!

Kris, thank you! I agree, animals are much smarter than we give them credit for.

Hugs,
Chanah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  09:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Well the deed was done. We bred her to a red angus. Not exactly sure why to wait except maybe because I didn't have another cow to be 100 % sure that she was in heat so I'm guessing maybe if she was bawling today it coulda been something else? When he was breeding her this am he said everything felt perfect that he thinks I was right on..go me! He believes we were successful and to give him a call if she acts funny for any reason. So hopefully we can be expecting a calf round the end of May!

Sherry- How do you tail bleed pregnancy check? When should you check to see if indeed the artificial insemination took place?

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  09:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY Leanne!
Keep us updated!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:13:44 PM  Show Profile
hi leanne, i am tired tonight but saw your post and wanted to respond. in the am i will post my answer. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  07:31:13 AM  Show Profile
good morning all, i wanted to post about the tail bleed. its pretty easy if you can contain your cow.i had 2 cows not be preg. after feeding all winter. i am now going to tail bleed all my cows. you can do it in the juglar or the milk vein also. i use the tail. not so intimidating to me. there is a video on how. its under the tail and up on the tail itself. you only need a little amount. you mail in very affordable for the peace of mind. they email in just a day or two. it needs to be 35 days i think after you breed for an accurate test. if you need the web site for them i can get it for you. isabel was still preg last night. have not gone yet this am. she was uncomfortable for sure at 10 pm. so maybe today we will have a calf. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  07:53:26 AM  Show Profile
I sure hope ya'll got Maizy at the right time. It can be tricky to AI.

I haven't heard my Mazie mooing at all since she's been home so I hope she is pregnant. She's alot calmer now for sure. We have to wait til March. I hope she has an easy birth. She's pretty big and the bull is big. I hope he's not too big. That's why I want to wait for Roxie to get bigger. But she may not. So I will wait til she's older.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! You all sound so busy! I am just pleased that I got the goat hay in the barn finally. We have had the horse hay for weeks but the hay guy just couldn't get it off the field mostly cause of rain. So I am set!! But goats are doing well and seem happy. I have been to busy to make cheese - really to tired every day. Good to read about you all again. I was lost from the computer world for awhile cause my machine broke. I will try to stay in touch more. Have a good day!! Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris. Glad you are back on again. It sounds like you have been busy with hay. I am so glad we did all the hay we need back in the early spring. I just need round bales for the cows and a guy up the road will deliver them for me when I need them.

I am going to make some chevre cheese next week for my DD's wedding reception. I am so excited! I'll make a bunch of different flavors.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We missed you Kris!! So glad you are back!
I'm glad you got all your haying done. We are just getting ours this Friday.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome -- This isn't a dairy subject but still....I want to tell you guys -- my DH got a small outside pen made for the chickens and I am so thankful for it. He has plans to make a bigger one but I am so thankful for this one. hope you all had a good day! Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page