Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  04:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, the buck we just butchered was 1 1/2 years old and over 100 pounds. I have not cooked any yet. It looks good though. I borrowed a meat grinder so I could have some burger. But the holes weren't big enough for it to pass through. I kept having to take it off and clean it. And I think there was too much fatty tissue. I wonder if I had a better grinder if it would have worked or if it's just the goat meat. I should have tried some beef also to compare it. But I did get enough for about 7 sausage patties.

Kendra, welcome to teh forum and our little dairy thread. Have you made cheese yet? I kept my Nubian Sandy. She's 3. She has the best milk. And Abby the Lamancha does too. Those are the 2 I wanted to keep. Their milk is very good. Do you think you'll ever get more goats? I know I will probaby get a few more some day. Or keep a doe from Sandy or Abby if I EVER get any from them again! I will breed Abby one more time since she is 8 right now. Then retire her after that. But I would love to have one of her does to carry her wonderful milking line on.

Also goats should never eat ivy I think.

Linda, I hope you got that bucky goat stench off of you! They sure are nasty. I am so glad I don't keep any here. But I am going to have to find a few for my girls soon. I really don't know what I am going to do yet.

We were at a family renion all day yesterday. I had the best time. On Sat. we have been going to my SIL's place on the lake. The kids swim and go tubing and we end up with a pontoon boat ride all ver. It's beautiful there. In Spring City, Tn. Then Sun. it's at Cunberland State Park in Crossville. That's when the extended family comes. The Sat. is for my MIL's kids and families. Lots of them are from Indiana. Noblesville mostly. Then Sun. it's lots of people I have never seen before. So I have not been to that in several years. But I might go today.

Ya'll have a great Sunday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  09:06:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, no I have not made cheese by myself yet, but will soon. I am taking my goat to the vet today to have her tested so I know the milk is safe for my family. I know that sounds weird, but I just wanted to be sure. I had all my other goats tested before we drank the milk. I am not sure if I will get more goats or a cow. I think the goats are easier, but would like some of that delicious cream without buying the seperator.
Have fun with your family on the lake! We love tubing and swimming and fishing. We plan on Friday going to the lake for my middle daughters bday. We are going to pack a picnic in a jar. Got the idea from TV, but we are going to put stackems in our jars. MMMMMMMMMM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:15:09 AM  Show Profile
Kendra, I had the opportunity to buy a registered Jersey about 4 years ago. I weighed the pros and cons on cows versus goats and the goats won. So I have milked goats since. I do have the 2 heifers I will try to milk when they calve. Maize is Red Angus and just turned 2 in July. She was just bred to a Black Angus and will hopefully calve in March. Then Roxie is half Jersey and BA. She'll be 1 the end of Aug. so I won't be breeding her til she's at least 18-24 months. We just measured her awhile ago and she's around 600 pounds. Anyway, I want to try to milk Mazie. I have been reading about people milking beef cows and the milk is really good. Not as much as a dairy cow but as good or better than.

The lady that got my 2 does last week had emailed me yesterday. She said Faith just was not happy and not eating and staying by herself. So she thought it might be a good idea for me to take her back. She was going to bring her when we got home yesterday evening. Then she called and said she thought she was going to be ok and she'd keep her. She really likes her. They have 5 kids too. So I told her to just keep me informed. I'd be glad to take her back. She said Sadie's just fine. She's already jumped out several times. I did tell them she's a jumper. But they love them both. They had just gotten 2 other does a few days before. I hope it works out for them.

We had a great time yesterday too. Glad it's all over. Another year has gone by again. This makes my 33rd time to go to the Sherrill family reunion. Time sure flies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  9:43:14 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, well i picked up the cutest little kiko boer cross 4 month kid doe. she is snow whits. bottle raised by a little girl. very easy going. was the runt so they sold her for 25.00. she is worth way more, just her attitude alone. follows the grandkids every where. i am not keeping her. she is going to be annie maes new friend. she will live with annie in a pen while annie is weaned. annie is the nigerian doe born to my friend in dec. we kept her here with a heat lamp and her mommy. this new little girl will be called bee bee for baby. she will never be bred. she will be a pet and part of a rescue herd. she will have a happy life. we are going to have babies on the ground end of this month. 4 does bred. one cow now coming into milk. isabel is due aug. 28th. there is NO DOUBT she is bred. there are only 2 wrinkles left in her udder.lol i am sooo wanting a heifer. we moved the 2 new breed sows to lisas. they are on a 5 acre section and loving it. rooting some. running around and happy yes. i am so glad they are there. now we need to move the 4 butcher ones to lisas pasture. different area. i have been selling pond lilys and i am going to use the money for winter hay. i am selling ponds snails too. $2.00 to $4.00 each. i have no algae pond problems. we irrigate out of our pond. so algae is a issue i had to overcome. we have an all natural pond. each year i dig lilys and sell them. will be done soon. well thats what we are doing these days. i am going to get my jars ready for cow milk. some folks here are going to help me butcher some of the fryers if i teach them how. yum happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile
has anyone used manna pro goat wormer? i remember you all talking about worms that make the neck swell. well that rescue goat ebony has that lump on her throat. i used the manna pro. she could be pregnant. i never knew if she was when she came to us. she was dumped at a rabbit rescue. so the wormer i have does intestinal. so now i am wondering if its a lung worm or something else that causes the hemorrhage in the throat. kris was it you or who that was just talking about this???? any way help please. she could be pg. so need something ok for that. thanks she is losing her hair also. poor old girl. her and the other have settled way down now. i can pet them.this forum is so great. there are so many brains on here for help. so hanks girls. i am just learning to like keifer. happy days again sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  08:40:43 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye you are a busy woman! I envy you, I have always wanted to know how to butcher chickens. You are an inspiration.

Kristin, I am with you on the goats. The cow in the paper here is half Jersey half Black Angus. She is six with the baby and they want $850 for her. Is that a good price? I probably will pass on her and stay with the goat milk. Just a lot easier to milk and handle. My goats name is Pippy and she has her head pressed against the back door right now wanting in. She acts like one my dogs. She is very sweet.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile
You are busy, Sherry. I was wondering about you. I hadn't seen you in ahile. I guess you've been busy moving critters all over the place. The little doe sounds so cute. I used to have some Kiko-Boer goats. They were pretty. I hope Isabelle does have a healthy heifer for ya. And there are no problems also. And you get lots of milk!

About the worms in goats. One of my does gor bottle jaw. I had no idea what it was. I do now. It's very serious and needs to be taken care of fast and furious. I gave her Valbazen first that night. Then the next day gave her Cydectin. That evening more Valbazen. Then the next day I think I had gotten Ivermec and gave her some. But I did that for about 5 days alternating the meds. She was noticable better by the next day. Her neck wasn't swollen. But I kept doing the worm meds. I think it was because I has so many goats in a small place. I will never do that again. I mean have so many goats. SO I try to keep Cydectin and Ivermec around in case of emergencies. I hope this is not that. The neck will be really puffy and I thought she had been stung by a wasp or something.

Kandr, that sounds like a pretty good price for the cow. I can't wait to try milking mine. But I will only if we need milk. I'll keep the calf on her as long as possible. I would rather have a healthy happy calf. Your goat sounds VERY spoiled! But they are worth it. I love my girls.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  3:05:01 PM  Show Profile
If the doe is pregnant Sherrye do not use the Valbazen. That stuff can make them miscarriage and have birth defects. Just make sure you read the label. Some are not meant for pregnant does.Good luck with your doe Sherrye.

Our Temp. here today has hit 100 degrees thats not counting the heat index. I have watered 3 times already today trying to keep them cool and the fans are on high. We have started into a drought and they were calling for rain but I believe it just missed us. I can't wait till friday because its suppose to go down to 87 degrees.

Been busy running the past few weeks. Hopefully Friday I can get some stuff done at home and maybe catch up on yard and barn work. Just to hot to do anything outside except chores and watering. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  4:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I never even thought about her doe being pregnant. I am so sorry. I hope you didn't use any of the wormers I have suggested, Sherry. My doe had just freshened when she had the worms. Or I don't know what I would have done. But the worms seems to be more active right after kidding anyway. I am so glad Linda mentioned this. I hope it's not too late.

It's 100 here too. But in the shade not too bad. I just went and let the turkeys out and sat out under the shade tree with ice water. I just came back in. I think they should be ok out there. They are so funny. They'll come when I call them now. They will follow me around like puppies. It is going to be way too hard when the time comes. I will probably keep them all now.

Sherry, check www.fiascofarms.com about wormers for pregnant does. I go there for all my worming needs and questions. Hope all is well with you. And all your critters.

Mazie is fine. She is back home again. I got her loaded by myself last night. She just didn't want to fool with all those other people. She loves me. It was very easy to do once she got in the trailor. I thought she was going to bust out though. She was completely turned around when we got home. Just a mile away. But she's fine. Fat as a tick too. We'll see in March if it worked.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello to you all - I have been out of touch for awhile....lost track of how long. My computer broke and life has been a bit stressful. My Nibs who I am milking had a spot of trouble - milk went down to 2 cups but she is fine now. It was a hay issue and the DH's ideas of what she could eat and still give milk. Well, I can only hope a lesson was learned.

Its been hot here too. I work in a campground and it has been a bit miserable. The bugs think this hot weather is a hay day. Blessing to you all!
Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  09:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello Kris. It has been awhile. I'm glad you got the feed situation figured out. I know about the heat. It's awful here. And we had rain yesterday so it's super humid now. I will wait til later to do outside work.

So with just 2 goats to milk it's really strange. And scary. I am worried now I will run out of milk. With 3 grands that really love the milk it's getting way down. My DD just came this morning and got a gallon. That leaves me a gallon. And I am making kefir. So I had to put a lot of kefir grains in the fridge. If anyone needs some let me know. All I ask is for the shipping cost. I was getting so much kefir I just gave the chickens 2 quarts along with their curdled milk this morning. They absolutely love the stuff. And it's SO good for them.

I hope all is well with all you goat farmgirls. And cow girls too. I can't wait now til Mazie calves. I will be a nervous wreck. And it won't be till March. But it will be here before I know it the way time is flying by these days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, what are Keifer grains? I am not familiar with it. I thought it was a drinkable yogurt but not sure. I am getting close to a gallon a day from Pippy now. The feed does make a difference. I was wondering how you guys cool your milk. I have been putting mine in the freezer for a while and then in the icebox. And on the feed, is there a special feed any of you feed? I can not find the dairy goat feed, so I am using alfalfa hay and sweet feed.

This is so neat to have a place to go with questions! Thank you ladies
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kandra. I feed my does a 16% all grain horse sweet feed. They love it. I did have a fridge in the milk room but it broke. I would put the buckets in there while I was milking. But now with just 2 does I can get them milked in a few minutes. I just put it in the fridge til the foam goes away and strain it. Then back in the fridge. I have put it in ice water if I need it real quick. But the kefir likes warm milk. Kefir is hard to explain. They are grains that are supposed to look like cauliflower. They ferment to make the kefir drink. They are loaded with so many good bacteria and all that good stuff we need for outr guts. I just found out I was putting way too many grains in not enough milk. So they were looking like cottage cheese. So I have less grains in more milk now and I can already tell a big difference. But they grow like crazy every day. So if you'd like to try some, I'd be glad to send you some for the shipping cost. just let me know. It might be next week though til I can get them looking better to send.

I make lots of smoothies with mine. It's a good way to get kale in me! And fruits which I don't get enuf of.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile
sure glad your cows in kris. i am still worming the goats. the wormy one looks better. i have 4 does now and 3 bucks for eating. the 4 girls will start kidding end of aug. i spent yesterday fine tuning and cleaning the cow barn for them. we built another stall. need to close ends then its done. whew. big job. made soap last night. today i am making more. then in am i am going to butcher the 13 big fryers. i am showing a couple farm girls how to butcher. isabel looks great. her udder is a little dry. i am going to put some jojoba oil on it today. she is getting a bag. we are also getting set up for the 2 cows. we are going to ai them with mini jersey. we moved the cattle chute yesterday. glad to see you back on kris we missed your posts. well happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  6:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, sounds like you might need another freezer with all that meat you're getting now. And more babies coming?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  6:35:38 PM  Show Profile
so yipee happy days here. lisas cow fancy had a mini jersey heifer today. 3 pm. healthy happy strong 65 pounds. now if isabel comes early she will calve in 5 days. hoping for a girl for me too. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I hope Isabel has hers soon too. I bet the other little heifer is so cute. What is Isabel again?And what was she bred to?

Roxie was in heat again a few days ago. This is the 2nd time. She will be 1 on the 25th of Aug. She's half Jersey and half black Angus. For all you cow experts, when should I breed her? She's around 600 pounds right now. I don't think she's big enough myself. But ya'll may have other thoughts. I don't know a whole lot about cows. Mazie is due March so I thought I'd take Roxie to the bull a few months after that. Anyway, could use some advice. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  8:39:33 PM  Show Profile
so my rescue goats are doing better. the bottle jaw is clearing up.. i think isabel is in pre labor. she is getting close. her bag is hard as a rock. maybe tomorrow. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:00:59 AM  Show Profile
kris how are your cows doing? do you think maize is bred? isabel is a jersey. going to go check her in a bit. the other new calf is a dexter and a litlle dutch belted. she is white with black spots and thick and chunky like mama.
my cow friend says you have to watch the front end of the bull. if he is to heavy there he can be too much for a smaller cow. i like to wait till they are 14 15 months to breed. it will also depend when you want the calf born. here winters are harsh. heres hoping you all have happy farm days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. I have not noticed Mazie trying to mount Roxie since she's been home. So hopefully she is bred. I did not get too close to the bull but he didn't seem too awful big. I hope she'll have an easy birth. I think since Roxie is smaller she should be bred to a smaller bull. I hope she will grow some more. So I will wait to breed her. I would like to have them calve at least 6 months apart.

SOunds like you are all ready for a calf. I hope she is. Isn't it fun meeting other farmgirls? I'm so glad you got to meet Jewel. I bet she is really nice. She must be to have helped you clean out the barn! What a gal! It's good to have help. I hope Isabel has an easy labor and birth and you get a nice healthy little heifer.

It's good you got the worm situation under control. That can be really scary.

I am just getting 3/4 of a gallon from Sandy and Abby now. And I have another milk cutomer for 1/2 a gallon. So I won't have a lot of extra milk. I am trying to make kefir cheese. I haven't ever done this but the kefir this morning had a lot of whey so I got that off and the rest is really thick. So I am straining that now. Should be alot like chevre cheese.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to say I am making a kefir sourdough. I started it yesterday. It's already doubled in size in less than a day. I used rye flour and kefir. It's supposed to be stirred a few times a day. Then add flour and salt and water and let rise again. It sounds like it will be good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile
kandra did you get a cow yet? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow! You ladies have been busy! Already 39 pages?!?
How are all your animals doing?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  12:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Yay for me!! I made mozzarella cheese for the first time tonight. Hubby liked it just needs more salt..that I can totally deal with I am totally loving this journey with my dairy cow..milking everyday is so worth all the wonderful things milk can turn into.

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:06:24 AM  Show Profile
Leanne, I am so happy to see that things are going so well for you. What recipe did you use for the cheese? And how much milk are you getting now? I bet it is so good. Does the whole family like it?

Channah, how are all your little goaties? I bet you're getting alot of milk now. I am getting about 3/4 of a gallon from the 2 goats. I want to make some chevre and feta soon but don't have enough. The kefir takes a quart a day so that leaves a half gallon and the grands get most of that. I'll just have to tell them I am making cheese and they can have the whey.

I have been letting my goats out in the pasture next door for awhile during the day to get some extra goodies. They love it. I guess it's hay that is growing in huge clumps all over and they will get big long mouthfulls of it. It's hanging out bouth ends of their mouths. It's really funny to see. But hopefully they will give more milk now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page