Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile
I thought we might need to have a dairy thread going here since there are so many of us that have goats and cows. And we are always needing advice and help on one thing or another. So why not start a dairy area.

Anyone interested? We can talk all we want about our favorite girls. I'll start.

I have 3 Lamanchas and 1 Nubian. They range in age from 3-7. They are all due to kid around the end of march. I am hoping for more girls this year. We had 13 kids last year and only 2 were does. So I keep rubbing their bellies and talking to the "girls".

I have been milking goats going on 5 years now. I love it. I milk by hand. I have 3 stanchions so that makes it easy. Last year I had 7 I was milking. 4 is still a lot and I may end up selling 1 more. One of the does is half Toggenburg and her milk last year was not that good.

So ya'll join in and lets talk dairy here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 09 2012 09:45:49 AM

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  5:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh this will be fun!!

I have 2 nubian does and 1 nubian buck. Both my does are pregnant. One will kid pretty soon and the other will kid in May. There names are Esther, Sadie, and Joey.

I have only been milking my goats for a year now and am learning so much and am having lots of fun!! I milk by hand too.

Well I guess this is a start!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  6:29:00 PM  Show Profile
I love dairy animals too..this IS a great idea. Right now I have Mona, my wonderful Jersey cow. She is 6 years old. I got her when she was 2. She is due to calve with her 4th calf mid-May. I hope it is a heifer this year! She has had two bull calves and one heifer calf so far. Before Mona I had dairy goats for many years..Saanens and Oberhasli mostly. I LOVE fresh dairy products and we are hating the waiting right now for Mona to calve.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 gorgeous Nubian does(USDA papered) (Lotty & Lucy)bred by by friend Linda(woolispinner here) They are 3 YO & I have not bred them yet, because I have such a hard time pinpointing their heat,(contrary to their reputation, my Nubies are not overly vocal) & I do not have a buck. The one time I was sure Lotty was in heat, I took her to Linda's buck, but I was too late. The other time she was in heat(that I was sure of), hubby was unable to help me transport her. I am hoping to catch one of them in the next month or so, otherwise, I fear it will be too late, & they will be too old. I do love my goats though, milk or not. They are so sweet & have such adorable personalities, although Miss Lotty has started to be a bit of a stinker & tries to butt me if I want to do anything to her. But I love going out to the barn & talking, singing, brushing & just spending time with them. & they love it too. Goats are the best!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to tell my goats names. Abby is the oldest. She's almost 8. Then Faith is 6 and her daughter is Sadie Mae Belle. She's almost 3. Ya'll have heard some about her. Then there is Sandy, the Nubian. I got her when she was just a few days old. She's almost 4. She's my baby. I got a Nubian buck this time to breed her with and I am so excited to see her kids. I always bred her with Lamanchas but I wanted goats with ears this time. And she is the most vocal. The Lamanchas don't make much noise at all.

I also just a few months ago got a half Jersey half Angus heifer calf. Her name is Roxie. She's 5 1/2 months old. She's all black but looks Jersey. She's got a reddish belly. So in about 2 years I might be milking a cow, too.

I am really missing goat milk right now. But I have been getting cow milk from my friend who I bought the calf from. I am partial to goat milk, though.

I wish you lived closer, Lisa. I'd let you borrow my buck. It sounds like you may just need to get one to come stay with the girls awhile!

Jenny, I bet you are missing all that fresh milk. Do you let the calf nurse or do you bottle feed it? That's a lot of work, bottle feeding a calf. I raised 2 that way and they thought they were still little babies after they were over 800 pounds. Mazie is still that way.

I am still thinking about bottle feeding if Abby and Sandy have does. The other 2 will raise theirs.

Thanks for joining in here, ya'll. I hope we all have healthy kids and calves soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Kris for starting this!! I cannot wait to learn from you gals!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  10:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Goats will be about all I'll be doing for several weeks to come, I actually had to sit down and count my herd list for here and I believe there's around 30 mostly purebred,papered Nubian, Lamancha, and Saanen does, and 7 bucks. We had 3 Nubians kid in Dec. and have about 16 to kid starting the 1st of March. Some are supposed to be sold, but winter has thrown its curves for transport. My youngest son Nate(just turned 11) owns the Lamanchas and is in 4-H. I have been a 4-H project leader so long, that soon I'll have a granddaughter in Clover Kids!
At the dairy I look after about 50 adult does and 14 yearlings. They just started kidding and tonight I'm a little concerned as it's snowing, very cold, and windy, My middle son Guy is their right hand man and he called to say they were in the barn with babies and wondering about tomorrow, as they need help and do I want to play with my newest granddaughter Elli(3months) at the dairy or his house? I think there could be 35 or so does kidding in the next week. It will be amazing!!!!! Most years it has gone smoothly and I pray as well this!!
Have a couple of cows here too. The mostly Guernsey cow Summer is dry as I had no bull here and didn't want to transport her, but her Jersey x daughter is bred to a Jersey and will freshen hopefully later in March.
We milk some goats year round here at home as most of the family has cow milk allergies and my husband Mark has Crohn's disease as well as Stage 4 renal cell(kidney) carcinoma now in his lungs, so the milk is a necessity here.
I usually just hand milk at home, but machine milk at the dairy. At the dairy all of the milk is made into artisanal cheese soft chevre rounds and tubs, flavored and plain, feta, camembert, blue, and hard cheese too.
I routinely dip the soft cheese, salt the camembert, and have made a little hard cheese too. I hope to make more cheese this year.
I love these 4 legged friends and so enjoy all the wonderful people I meet through them!! I look forward to hearing about all things dairy... best wishes with kiddings and calvings!!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  04:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, it sure sounds like you will be a busy lady. That's a lot of goats. So when all is said and done, how many goats do you milk at your house? And do you bottle feed any? I guess at the dairy they are all machine milked.

And with milk allergies did you find they could drink the goat milk right away and were fine?

We used to order cheese from a dairy in Mo. and they had some goat cheese. I can't remember the name right now. But the cheese is good.

Please let us know about all those beautiful babies when they come. Can you post pictures on here? I still can't get mine to work. I love seeing other people's kids and goats. And the cows, too.

And Miss Channah, I'm sure you have all sorts of great valuable info for all of us here. Sometimes I think I would not know what to do in a certain situation then discover I do. It's amazing how much we learn as we go on this journey. Most of it is fun but there are some sad times, too. That just go along with all this farm life. That's what so amazes me. No 2 days are alike.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  05:52:45 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 Nubian papered does, Milly and Mindy that are due to kid and then will be milked. I have 7 others ready to kid but will not be used for milk. Two does provide the amount of milk I use and a bit to share.

I had 1 Nubian buck but he recently died after being leased out for breeding. so sad.

There is something about farming....once you get "good" at something the amount you have is not enough..... never can have too many chickens, grow too many tomatoes, and now I'm wanting more goats!!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  06:55:31 AM  Show Profile
We currently have 23 boer does, 16 kids we just weaned two weeks ago, 2 wethers, 1 buck and 2 tog/alpine cross does. I got my feet wet last summer with the milking. I had just weaned off the kids from one of my dairy goats and the next day I had a boer doe die three days after she kidded. I milked her for two months and fed the orphaned boer kids with a bucket feeder. We were not ready in any way for this. I tied her up to the fence and stuck grain in front of her to keep her still but as soon as the grain was gone she would be kicking at me to get off of her udder. I learned to milk real quick so I would be done before she got done with her grain. The two dairy goats are due to kid in a couple months and this time I will be prepared to milk them after they're weaned. The dh built me a stanchion and I have been reading about soap making. I was thrilled to see some ladies started a thread about that. Does anyone use a pasteurizer? I've seen them fairly reasonable on Ebay. I will make it a point to get pictures on her to show off all my girls.
Wow Laurie!! I thought my days were busy. I would love to see your farm. It sounds wonderful. Here in Illinois, you have to buy out or buy into a goat dairy. You can't start one up. I love when government gets involved with agriculture.
Kris, I think your word is good as gold. I love reading your posts and hearing your input on things.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  07:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Great topic Kris!

I have three dairy goats, two Alpines and a Toggenburg. One Alpine, Nike, is 10 years old and registered (she was given to me). The other Alpine, Madeline, is Nike's daughter and she is 3 years old. Last year, I retired Nike from breeding and bred only Madeline, she gave us 2 little bucks. Nike gave us 2 does the first year and 3 does the next! I was doing some baking of bread and selling at the Farmer's Market and didn't have enough milk to meet my needs (plus one of my friends gets milk from me) so I bought another goat last fall. I got a 3-year-old Toggenburg, Tara. Madeline and Tara are both bred to a Nubian buck. Madeline is due the middle of March and Tara is due the end of March. The baking thing got squashed so now I am going to have TOO MUCH milk! Plus, I have heard that Toggenburg's don't have such great milk? Maybe I can find someone to sell her to! She is really sweet though!

I love my goats, love spending time with them and I am really missing the milk right now!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  09:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, that's so sad to lose a goat. Especially when they have been away from your farm then come back sick. Have you gotten another one yet? I think 2 does is plenty of milk for us, too. I did sell milk the last few years. But people are not consistant. No one wants milk when the fridge is full but when it's empty or the goats are dry, they want milk. So I will keep my half gallon a week customer and maybe one more. But I will use some to make cheese and soaps. Are Nubians the only breed you've had?

Toby, I have had a few Boers and some Kiko. I wanted to get into meat goats but most people wanted lamb. So I went to dairy. I had an Alpine cross that I started milking on. She had a great udder. It was small but she gave lots of milk. I wish I had kept her. I have to keep the feed coming to my girls, too, when I'm milking. They are pretty good about being still when they are done. But I am pretty fast. I do not pasturize my milk. I like drinking raw milk myself. Plus those machines are so expensive. Also the separators. I'd love to have one of those, but will probably never. I would love to see pictures. And thanks for the kind words. That means a lot to me.

Candy, I have a Lamancha-Togg cross. She was a first freshener last year. It took forever to be able to drink her milk. I posted on here alot about her. Sadie Mae. I think that Toggs were bred to have stronger tasting milk for cheesemaking. I ended up giving most of her milk to the chickens, pigs, dogs and cats. I did freeze some, too. If her milk is bad again this year, I may have to sell her. I love that goat and she looks just like a Togg but has elf ears. She's a jumper, too. Just give it a try. Her milk may be good. I just didn't like Sadie's. The Alpines have great milk. And very nice udders, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  09:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow, I had no idea there were so many of you who had goats!! YAY!! I don't have anything to really add but I'll keep read this topic!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  1:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Well, I had to give up my goats when we moved back to civilization, but I can add something once in a while. Over the last 30 years we had mostly Alpines and Saanens, with the occasional mix thrown in. We kept them as much for humor and companionship as for the milk. DH loved homemade buttermilk and yogurt, I tried my hand at cheese with varying results, and we always loved kidding time, waiting to see what we got. A little boring, that part, with the Saanens always being white. My first goat, Angel, was my favorite. She was Alpine/Nubian cross but looked and was colored like an Alpine. She gave me lots of great babies and tons of milk over the years, and the experience was most valuable. She became paralyzed with her first two kids, both coming at the same time and pinched the nerves running down her back legs. She had to be in a sling for a week before the feeling came back to the point she could stand, but she raised the babies and gave me over a gallon a day that first year. What a beginning THAT was!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  3:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melina. I think that's the reason I never got Sanaans because they all look alike. But last year with all the white kids I got they could have been Sanaan. I had 13 kids and 10 of them were all white like the dad. And I used another white buck this time. 3rd year in a row. You'd think I'd know by now. But I keep hoping for some color. The Nubian buck is all black but with the Doberman look. My Sandy is all red. So I can't wait to see what her kids will look like. She does have pretty babies. They are all getting bigger every day. I was noticing udders today. Abby and Faith's are getting bigger. Sadie's are lumpy with bumps all over. I hope that clears up. Any ideas what could cause that? She does jump over the fence.

We'll have to post cheese recipes here soon. And talk about all the ways we use all this good milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile
I only have Nigerian Dwarfs right now. We sold our whole herd of Registered Nubians to a family we go to church with. The good thing is, I get to see them as often as I like.
I just am not as attached to the Nigerians. I have 1 doe, named Sara, 1 buck named Oreo, and 1 wether named Dud.
My doe is expecting in March. She looks huge.
Someday I hope to get Nubians again. I really loved having them.
We have one heifer Angus/Holstein cross. Her name is Betty. She is at the neighbors farm getting bred to a Angus.
I want to get a little jersey calf soon. I want to keep her to breed and give us milk.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  5:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Gena, are you going to milk Sara? I hear they are great milkers. You'll have to have a tall stanchion, though. And they have lots of kids, too. I don't know how they do it, but most of them have triplets. And I hope you get a Jersey. They are beautiful cows. I wish my little calf was the Jersey color. But she's all black.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:22:13 PM  Show Profile
hi everyone,great idea this thread. i know you girls can help me decide. i can not find a papered buck lamancha. thought i did but no. ginger needs a boy friend . are lamanchas ok to breed to a boer buck. she is a almost 1 1/2 gallon twice a day. what a sweet heart she is. so if it would be too big a baby then i will not. is there another milk breed to mix with her to make better milk? i am going to need to buy another goat. now i am fostering a pygmy and her kid. when they go home ginger will need a new buddy. i also have a mini jersey cross. her name of course is buttercup. lol well she has run me around the block a few times. i thought i would give up trying to milk her. with help from all the girls here i stuck and now we are milking ok. just weaned her calf cocoa. we also have a herd of dexters. i like them since they are smaller i can do more with them.we are not milking them now. they are due to calve in a few weeks. there is 3 cows bred. 1 bull and 1 steer so far. and of course cocoa butters baby. i love this life. i have a full jersey due in sept. then i will be in milk. hope someone has an opinion about gingers boyfriend.thanks sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  10:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Brrrr,cold, and windy finishing up the last of the outside chores!!!!One nice thing about the snow cover, it was so bright I didn't need the flash light much for the outer reaches. Glad I have lights in the main barn.
Catherine, sorry to hear you lost your buck! I think the change of environment and the excitement and work of breeding season lowers their immune systems sometimes.
Toby, you asked about pasteurizers. I have done lots of milk cooking through the years, both water-bathed on the stove with a floating dairy thermometer and with a pateurizer. Sometimes, at the same time when I needed lots of milk cooked in a hurry:) I have a simple, sweet, little 5 quart"Protectal" pasteurizer, that gets the job done quickly and I just have to listen for the loud annoying buzzer I use most of the time.It just has an element in the bottom, you put a little water in it, then the milk container, I put an old Corelle plate on it, then the lid, and plug it in. I have a 2 gallon Safegaurd, dual control(so one could heat treat colostrum) with hoses, but haven't used it in a little while. I cook milk when I am making some cheese or yogurt, when I am uncertain of a does CAE status and need milk to feed kids, or sometimes for people if they don't want raw, etc. You said something about loving to see my farm. Sadly my farm is not pretty these days, but the dairy where I work is nice.I grew up in Elgin, IL by the way.
Candy, you asked about tog milk. Any goat can have off flavor or goaty milk, so you'll just have to try her and see. Some lines do throw a more goaty flavor and I just wouldn't keep them(it is a heritable trait)..Every doe at the dairy gets taste tested starting about 5 days after freshening and she's not cleared for the bulk tank and cheese production unless her milk is sweet. My family is very, very picky too!!!
Gena, I'm getting acquainted with some little Nigies a friend has, one little orange and white doeling is tugging at my heart, but Nubians are my first love.(I was 15 and Libby was a sweet and fun girl and here I am going on 50 and still love my Nubians best, but my son has a Lamancha that is trying very hard to win my heart, and we have a couple of Saanens that I count on!)
Sherry, you asked about using a Boer buck on your Lamancha doe? We use a Boer buck on yearlings at the dairy(we freshen them later in the season and they sell better then),out of 24 does in two years I helped only 2 does with large singles they were lined up Ok, but the does were asking me for help. The buck I selected is not super-huge,or overboned,he is a purebred.The kids will have cute elf ears if your doe is 100% Lamancha. If she is a percentage doe you could get kids with long ears.
Hope these ramblings help!
Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  12:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I just love the sound of Chickamauga...I rambled on so in the previous post thought I better post it and start again since you had several questions.
Allergies-My oldest 3 children were born fairly close together 22 months apart, then 17 months apart. I weaned the second one after I got pregnant cause I was not able to eat enough and he got terribly sick, couldn't tolerate cow or soy, bad diahhrea, stopped talking, walking, tummy aches...I found a fellow about 15 miles away that had goat milk. We tried it and he was better in 24 hours holding up his bottle saying "Moe", the oldest had horrible ear infections, was allergic to most antibiotics, and they were talking tubes, so I pulled her off all cow products, and used Echinacea, problem cured. Since I raised sheep since childhood and had some Nubians in my teenage years, we soon added goats into our lives again. When we finally had enough milk I could drink it too and there was no more store bought cow milk in the house I discovered the post nasal drip,drip and ear issues I had off and on all disappeared as well. To this day all 4 of my older kids(same Father) will get horrible ear infections and colds if they drink much store bought milk, and the oldest son gets tummy aches if he drinks cow milk or eats more than the occasional bowl of store bought ice cream. My youngest so has a different father and he has no problem with cow milk.
Yes, some times I have bottle babies. I have 2 right now, born in Dec. from a first, freshening Nubian yearling, that kidded without me. She couldn't be convinced she should have anything to do with them.
I sometimes raise a few kids from the dairy that deserve to go to homes that want/need serious milkers, or I want to sell a doe, but keep her doeling,or a new herdsire, etc. I try to limit them though, because it is work and and I get little sleep all spring!!!
I am debating now, what to do this spring(that means about March 1st, as that's when my easiest to milk and first doe here is due. I have other does I will be pulling kids from this year and I am a little concerned about getting them fed enough as my 11 year old isn't quite old enough to keep good track with out some reminding. I may make a self feeder with cold milk, then I won't be stressin over that mid-day feeding when I am at work.
Usually I leave all the kids on and those that have singles I have to milk in addition to their kid nursing, so that provides enough milk for the house. Then in a couple, three months or so, I can sell kids or wean kids, et. and have the does diminished enough in production I can work towards once a day milking at night.I have been milking a little Lamancha doe all fall and winter and then the young Nubian doe. The little Lamancha doe is painful for my thumbs to milk, too small of teats and to small of flow, takes forever!!!(I have arthritis and fell on the ice a couple of winters ago and have thumb/grip issues especially when it is cold.) So I am looking forward moving her along!
At the dairy we move out all the surplus kids as fast as we can, the replacements(average of 12 doelings) are fed three times a day for at least 3 months then 2 till we can't hold down the kidbar any longer:)!
You asked about udder bumps? Lumpy,how, just topically or deeper? Topical bumps, are they oozey? Could be a staph or something? At the dairy, some of the does usually in the spring will get some smallish bumps with a little scabbing and oozing , the the vet I work with thinks bacterial. It is worse when they have waste fescue that gets throw down for bedding instead of straw. Fescue is very sharp, both the hay and grass. We basically liberally spray with iodine teat dip and they go away. I have not had that problem here. I am very careful as I travel from herd to herd. I have separate clothes, boots etc. at the dairy. I am always clean, with clean shoes when I visit a herd, and shower and change, when I get home. I take every measure I can not to transmit anything!!! With the seriousness of parasite issues in our part of the country, I make sure any visitors here or at the dairy have clean shoes too!!! Tell me more about your bumps.
Well, as you can see I can ramble along and better close for now!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  04:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. Good to see you here, too. I bred my Lamancha the first year I had her to a Boer buck. She was supposed to have been AI'd when I bought her. But didn't take. I'll have to look back in my records to see what she had. She's only had 1 doe since I've had her, too. Anyway, Ginger should be ok.

Have you ever tried to milk the Dexters? They are supposed to be great for a small family. Not much milk and their size is good so they don't eat as much as a full sized cow. I am still debating on whether I want to milk cows or not. I still have a few years to think about it. I just love my goats. They are not messy. Never poop on the stands. They chickens can scatter the poop around. They don't eat near as much as a cow does. But I have to have 10 goats to get as much milk as 1 cow. So what do ya do?

Laurie, I checked her again last night on the stanchion and it didn't seem as bad as when I first felt it in the field. She's the Lamancha-Togg that I had so much trouble with last year. She's all over the place and could be scraping her udders on brush or when she jumps the fence. I'll keep an eye on them because she should be kidding if she's pregnant, the end of March. I really am not too sure she's pregnant.

I will bottle feed Abby'a and Sandy's kids if they have does this year. They both had negative CAE reports. They both had twin bucks last year so I didn't pull them. We wethered them all. I really want does from them. I pulled all the kids the first year I had them. I hated it. I loved that the kids were so friendly but they jumped all over me and would knock the bottles out of my hands as they got older. It was a mess. I said I'd never do that again. So I let the moms raise them now. After about 3 weeks I put the kids up and milk in the mornings. The thing about that is the kids end up coming into the milk room when I'm milking abd get into everything. That's when they are older. I have pictures of one doe that had triplets and they would come in and get to nurse for a longer time when she was in the stanchion. I just let them have all her milk.

Anyway, I am so glad there are so many goat and cow people here to share all their knowledge and experiences with everyone. Thanks so much. I always need help and advice.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  05:12:22 AM  Show Profile
just wondering........ Kristin and Laurie shared a bit about leaving kids on or taking them off. What about everyone else?........Do y'all separate the kids from the mom? Or leave them on and "share" the mom? Or do you remove the kids for the purpose of CAE prevention? What do you think are the Pros and Cons?

I've taken the kids away for bottle feeding and for the purpose of milking the mom. But, I was either using her milk for them or having to buy milk to feed them. So, the last few times I've left the kids with mom and still had my two milkings a day.

Side note......a wether named Dud! That's hilarious, Gena!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

Edited by - cajungal on Feb 16 2010 05:22:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  05:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Great question, Catherine. I would love to see what others think and what they have done. I will not need too much milk this year since I won't be selling it.

I forgot to say all the kids this last year were all very friendly because I handled them every day just to make sure to get them friendly. I guess if they are left alone with the mother and never handled is where they are more skittish. But ya just don't want skittish milk goats.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I leave the kids on full time for the first two weeks and then "share" mom until eight weeks and then wean. I know there is a lot of info out there (both pro and con) regarding CAE but I'm just a backyard goat milker, not raising registered kids for sale or show, so I don't worry about it.

I make sure to handle the kids A LOT to make sure they are friendly too! I like to be there when they are born in case there are any problems and to handle them right away so they are good with people.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Wow, you ladies are busy I thought I was but I bow to you all. I have to admit this is a great topic, last year I started milking a Nubian I bought the milk was great I made cheese and butter out of it and used a lot for cooking but I lost her not to long ago. She had complications with a pregnancy and there wasn't anything anybody could do for her she just got so weak so fast. Any way I'm in search for a new baby I would like to get a baby and another adult. We miss the milk as well I was looking so forward to trying different recipes this year for cheese. I'm also looking for a dairy cow for milking I figure my best bet is going to get one that is being retired which will be good or I will have to get one that is just a calf. And although I have a few goats that I'm not really sure what breed these are (only because the woman that got read of them didn't have a clue she just had to reduce her feed bill) I still enjoy learning from everyone's postings. Speaking of which yall might be able to identify my goats breed, the one that has me puzzled is Dirty Hairy (I know what a name) but he has long white hair with some black on face, neck, and lower legs, he has huge horns that go up, back and out. When we first got him his hair was kinda yellowish in places and he looked like he had an additude which I found out really fast when he was scared he could be a little mean he charged me so hard that when he hit me we all thought he had broken my arm. He has settled a lot since then, But kids are still not allowed around him.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Sara had her first set of twins last year. We tried milking her, but her (handles) were so small that it was so difficult. Someone told me they get bigger each year. With only one doe, it is hardly worth it. I am hoping to get another breed which is larger this spring. I am thinking about getting Oberhaslis. They are pretty rare around here. I don't know that any breed will be as friendly as my Nubians were.
I always let the mamas raise their babies. I know all about CAE and all, but I have the does tested, and I feel nothing is as good as Mama.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page