farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
So...assuming this whole "gonna finally get chickens" thing goes through, I need to know the pros and cons of getting chicks or getting hens that already laying. I should point out we are planning to use a chicken tractor at this point because our barn (which is really a small barn shaped storage shed/dog house) isn't set up to have chickens inside. Yet. I'm hoping we can toss things around a bit to make it work (barn)...within city codes, of course. Advice please!

And thanks in advance for helping this really green weenie out!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Pros of chicks-they start out tiny, a simple brooder can be made, out of a plastic tub , will be friendly if you get the right breeds, will get used to whatever routine you establish for them, will take a few months before you get eggs. If come from a hatchery will be healthy. One can buy just a handful of pullet chicks from the farm store here.
Adult hens will have to get used to their new home, you can get instant eggs, provided you get young hens that are laying , will get friendly if they are one of the calmer breeds. Hens need to have bright red healthy looking combs, and a about a 3 finger spread between the pelvic bones. Young pullets that haven't started laying yet may not have a real red comb yet and will maybe have a 1 or 2 finger spread between the pelvic bones. Make sure they don't have lice or leg mites...mites are hard to eliminate once in their environment.
Housing- tractors work well, but they will destroy whatever ground they are on fast, so move-ability in construction is important.
Need access for feed water and the nest box. Much manure is dropped on the roost at night, so being able have easy access to clean under their roost is needed too.
Breeds-so many to choose from Bantams(smaller versions to the regular chickens) to full size chickens but their are big differences in temperment, size, amount of eggs they lay, etc.
What do you want these chickens for??? What is the goal?? Choosing the right breed might make a difference in your success. Any chance you will eventually want to eat chicken? Cornish x grow fast and you can be eating them @ 6wks.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  1:37:55 PM  Show Profile
I got four chickens when they were about 5 months old. They were relativly easy to take care of. They free range now and hardly eat any feed cause they get everything they need in the wild. They have been laying for me since september of 08. Back in August I ordered 25 day old chicks to add to my flock. They are great snd have been a lot of fun to raise. They are still penned because I want to wait until they are laying to free range them so they go through a TON of feed! If this is your first experience with chicks I would recommend you get layers. The other draw back to chicks is it is a lot of work and you aren't getting the payoff of eggs everyday. But my girls will be laying soon and I can't wait!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  03:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Good to know too that when a hen ages, egg production goes down after 2 years. The chickens can still thrive for many years after that though.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  05:22:54 AM  Show Profile
This is great information, ladies! Thanks!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile
This is great as we are learning as well. We first got the white leghorns and I like them. Then added in 5 different and have started to have problems with mortality rates

We got leghorns at a chicken swap and hubby got the others from a guy at work. They lay brown eggs and often have blood spots, never in my white ones. Anyway we are thinking this spring maybe we should just start over and order leghorns from a hatchery. Any input on that idea. We did build a nice coop thus last summer and I do want to be able to continue to sell eggs. Are leghorns good eating?

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile
I buy egg layers and meat birds, but never dual purpose. I find the meat birds (I can't remember the breed...I'll find out) are ready to kill in 5/6 months and then they are gone.period. until the next year. I buy a few new egg layers every year just to add to the flock

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another chicken question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page