kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I was browsing this forum and ran into your discussion on rose water. I love rose water and my grandma always mixed it with glycerin too and used it after a shower to keep her skin soft.
I couldn't find where to buy it, but years ago I ran into a recipe on how to make it. Here on my farm in Missouri there is an old fashioned white little rose that grows wild. It smells heavenly so that is what I make mine with.

Rose water
2 cups distilled water
1/4 cup fresh rose petals damasks best-(best to pick in early morning just after the dew is off the petals)
4 tablespoons vodka

Combine ingredients in a sterilized glass bottle. Gently stir and store in a cool dark dry place. (the recipe didn't say how long-but I let it set for about a month)
Strain out the petals using a strainer lined with muslin or an unbleached coffee filter.
Rebottle and use as a refreshing wash or a subtle perfume. Is also lovely splashed on fresh picked berries.

I found this to be a beautiful way to save summer in a bottle for those cloudy cold wintery days.

A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/

Edited by - kathyinozarks on Jul 08 2010 11:35:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:37:37 AM  Show Profile
Sharing also my Grandmas rose water hand lotion recipe

1 part rose water
3-4 parts glycerin

Mix together and place in a covered container. Helps to keep your hands soft and crack free in the winter

(I copied this from my late Grandma's recipe card)

A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Rose Violet Jelly

2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 cup pesticide free violet blossoms-petals pulled from the base of the flower, rinsed and patted dry
1/2 lemon-juiced
2 tablespoons rose water
1 package powdered natural fruit pectin
2 cups sugar

In a nonreactive pan, bring the apple juice to a boil. Stir in the violet petals and lemon juice, remove pan from heat. Cover and allow the mixture to cool with the lid on. Pour the mixture into a covered dish and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Strain violet petals and discard. Pour mixture into a non reactive saucepan and add the rose water. Slowly stir in the pectin and bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stiring constantly.
Remove pan from heat and pour jelly immediately into warmed sterilized jars to within 1/8 inch of the rim. Seal. process in water bath for 10 minutes. Or can can store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks without canning.
Makes about 2 cups

another pretty reminder of spring when that winter wind blows--enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Dawn thank you so much for offering to share your recipes with rose water, I would love those too, I just sent you an email Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the recipes, Kathy! I would love to try making my own rosewater someday.
Blessings,
Catherine

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile
If you're going to cook with it make sure that it's pure or food grade rosewater. Here goes: I leave a small spray bottle of it in the fridge for spritzing my face and upper chest in the summer for a cooling treat. A tablespoon on the apple when I make baked apples, or a spritz on apples in a waldorf salad, apple and rose are in the same botanical family so it only makes sense that that they would complement each other. If you make baklava you can spritz the phyllo sheets in between each layer for a subtle flavor. It can be used as part of the liquid in making rose jelly or rose petal jam and used to flavor apple jelly.
Rose water can be used as ironing spray for a wonderful aroma in hankies, petticoats, chemises, nightgowns. If you have a rosary with wood beads you can spritz them lightly with rose water and lay them out to dry for a delicate scent that will be released when you say your prayers.
1 part vegetable glycerine obtained at the pharmacy mixed with 2 parts rose water makes an light skin moisturizer, for a cream you can melt equal parts clean beeswax and almond oil stir in an amount of glycerine rosewater to make either a cream or a lotion. You can make bath fizzies by mixing equal parts citric acid and cornstarch and adding that to 2 parts baking soda and spritzing with rosewater while mixing just enough to make the mixture clump together well, pressing into mini-muffin or mini-tart molds, turning out on wax paper to dry. When dry store in air tight container. Add 1 or 2 to bath. You can also mix in some almond oil or vitamin E oil or melted cocoa butter for a soothing moisturizer and lay a couple rose petals in the bottom of the mold before you pack with the mix.

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  09:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Linda,

Thanks for the wonderful information. I like to keep mine in the fridge too in the summer. it feels so refreshing after being in the hot outdoors :)
I also like to spritz our bed linens with it. I have mixed it with glycerine for a hand moisturizer and it smells and feels wonderful :) Thanks for the cream & lotion recipes, I am going to have to try that!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, Thanks for your recipes! I can't wait to try them out. I love finding different ways to use rosewater and how to store it too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  5:18:49 PM  Show Profile

Here's my rose bath fizzies
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup cornstarch
Mix well with a whisk. Melt 2 teaspoons cocoa butter and add 1 teaspoons vanilla fragrance oil and 1 teaspoon rose fragrance oil and stir into dry mix very well with whisk. Spritz on about 2 teaspoons rose water or measure out two teaspoons and pour in very very slowly while whisking. Mixture will foam a little. Mixture should hold its shape when you squeeze a handful.Pack into molds let dry 10 min then turn out onto wax or parchment to dry completely. Use clear cellophane bags to give as gifts or store in a pretty glass candy jar

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  6:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow Linda, those are beautiful! What a great gift idea, thanks for the photo and sharing your recipe!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  8:18:17 PM  Show Profile
thanks Linda-beautiful

Farmgirl Sister 1849
A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks
http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/
http://kathyinozarks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile
I have used it for my daughter. She bites her nails sooooo badly that they hurt. I have purchased rose water and glycerian and she uses it on her fingers when they are so bad that she cant hardly use her fingers. It heals them so quickly.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Uses for rosewater Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page