Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Garage sales will be starting soon, for all you girls that go to these, including me, what are you looking for this year?
NANCY JO

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  08:51:45 AM  Show Profile
a Wooden rocker..and I always look for clay pots.
I like to look for vintage textiles too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
clay pots, patio furniture (metal, not plastic), anything else "good" that I can do something with! lol

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  11:36:19 AM  Show Profile
primitive antiques .. either for the cabins or for my antiques booth at glovers' station. xo

p.s. i've been collecting fireplace and firepit 'things' lately .. and am always on the lookout for anything related to 'cookin' fires! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Flower pots and anything I can sell on ebay for a profit. :)

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:39:28 PM  Show Profile
A spindel and anything that says, take me, that I didnt know I needed. :)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  3:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Jenny
Where are you going to put your rocking chair? I have 5 of them, but always can find room for one more.
Helen, what do you mean a spindel? I know, that thing about coming home with lots of good stuff you didn't know you needed, some of my best stuff came that way.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  6:59:33 PM  Show Profile
GOING TO GARAGE SALES????? I'm having yet another one soon. Finally at 50 I married my prince charming. We not only combined 2 households and leftovers from 5 kids and 2 exes,but he had ALL his parents stuff in the basement. I'm talking their WHOLE HOUSE! At first we begged people to come take stuff. Then we could finally move around a little.....Then a garage sale. Now 2 wonderful years later I'm planning another sale. The fun part was this : I found lots of antiques in the basement. Last year I refinshed 2 mahogany/cherry end tables, Quartersawn oak dresser, and 1912 singer electric machine. We found tons of Baseball stuff from the 30's and 40's. His Dad was a Detroit Tiger in 1945.Found his MOm's 3 autograph books full of autographs of the greats that I found in the basement in a dresser drawer! We have a Buggy seat in the basement that will come up this year and get a coat of paint, and a cute oak desk with attached curio that needs stripped and varnished. Found old sewing books and patterns and potholders his Mama made. Also a set of china and lots of old kitchen stuff. There's so much I can't remember it all. I have tried to preserve and frame and display everthing I can. The really collectable stuff is in the safety deposit box. His mom saved everything and so does he. I keep telling him in about 5 yrs when I finally get all this gone through I will go to his office and start there. It is packed!!!! I have had a ball going throgh this. I love reading all the old farm journals,letters, returned checks. There was one letter from a bank that returned a check his Mom wrote. She was paying on a loan on the farm. The letter returned the check because they said they could not take a check from the wife it had to come from the man of the House.
Sorry to babble on so much. Guess I needed to share about my finds. My best friend says I have Antiques Road show in my basement. It has and will be so much fun. Wish you could see it all. Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  12:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Teddie
I do wish I could see all your stuff, what fun. You don't have to go riding about for a sale,glad you decided to go ahead and look at it all and not give it away, because it sounds like you have found some really nice things.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  05:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Teddie, that sounds like some great stuff. I love the letter from the bank! LOL

One of these days I'm going to spend a whole summer at my parents' home, they have so much great stuff and I probably could get some to bring home if I had time to "find" it.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  09:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oooo the women in me that says i can do anything that a man can do is standing up screaming at the letter. But that is just the attitude of the time i guess. I want to come to your garage sale.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy a spindle is for spinning wool, instead of using a wheel.
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I also look for....vintage textiles, garden things, outdoor furniture, vintage beads & "little pretties" (anything old & special that I can rescue & turn into accessories!) Other than that, not much on the list this year. We are considering a move to the northwest & are trying to lighten our load, just in case! Even if nothing is found, I love just the act of garage saleing. It's so therapeutic! And give me a garage sale WITH a lemonade/iced tea/cookie/whatever stand & I am happy all day.

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for things made of cast iron, especially unusual baking pans. I have a couple but want to find more, I'm curious to see whats out there.
My addiction seems to be bowls I like pottery bowls but only seem to really see glass bowls. I had to clear out a whole cupboard just to have a place to store my bowls. Today I bought a colored glass pyrex bowl.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  11:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Helen,
OH
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile
Always looking for pretty dishes and glasware, old button boxes full of good stuff, material, hand embroidered goods, wood bowls, outside pots and yard decor, aprons, postcards, the list is pretty long, and of course sometimes I don't know until I see it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Teddie, those are tremendous discoveries and treasures that you have now. Wow! You truly do have your own show right in your basement. How fun!

I like to find linens, hand embroidered, crocheted and lace ones. Of course, any kind of apron is always a good find. And I do like to keep my eye open for red and white kitchen gadgets.

But I have to say this year I will be looking for 2 booster seats for the van for our grandsons and maybe a few outdoor things for them to play on in the yard when they come over. Although, my husband had one of the boys out in the garden teaching him how to plant so I have a feeling that we will be spending some of our time in the garden, too. Which will be fun.

I have so much stuff already, that I really don't have room for one more thing. But that doesn't mean I will stop looking or check them out just to see if there might be something - anything that would be a good bargain. How can I pass them up all together?!

Happy bargain-hunting to all! Blessings on your day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Apr 19 2006 09:23:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  09:47:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm always on the lookout for old wicker lawn furniture (it's so expensive) and metal outdoor chairs and such. Also old pottery and dishes. Vintage fabrics and old rhinestone jewelry.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  09:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Debbie
I got two metal lawn chairs a few years ago for 5 dollars each. Just the other day I got a catalog with new metal chair in it, 100 dollars each, and not made as well as the older ones. So happy hunting.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  05:26:21 AM  Show Profile
The letter returned the check because they said they could not take a check from the wife it had to come from the man of the House.

How funny? This is so true today. I get credit cards calling and even though both our names are on the account they will not talk to me. So, I told the card one day if you can't talk to me then don't bother calling back.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
People Tested Goat Approved, tm
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  8:20:47 PM  Show Profile
A fancy tickler.

I know what I like so I don't go looking for one thing in particular. What ever sets me to twitter usually gets hauled home.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  10:37:55 PM  Show Profile
My list includes old wool clothing (for rug hooking), scraps of vintage lace, old buttons or jewelry, fabric(old or new), jeans for my 4 guys (always), Old candlesticks (that will become bases for projects), books, stretchy belts (those ugly striped elastic ones), handthrown pottery (especially mugs), and old pasteboard suitcases (for craft booth display), vintage clothing & shoes (always), primitive anything, and like everyone else, I will drag home anything that appeals to me! Aren't you all glad garage sale season is upon us! Happy hunting ladies!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  04:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda
Ok I give up, what do you do with the ugly stretchy belts? Yes, garage sales can't start soon enough, I have about wore out my thrift store.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Teddie- When is your yard sale? My mom, friend Cilla and I go out every Friday. Carrolton is not that far away from us. Let me know and I will be there!! Sounds like an absolute dream!!
I am sure that my husband will let me take his new truck. Hee hee.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  11:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Hahahaha! Yes Nancy Jo, WHO on earth would want those awful belts!? My son is a musician and travels all over the country. He & his bandmates use the belts to make wristbands to sell at their concerts. The kids love things "made by the band" and it gives the guys something to do on those looooong road trips...not to mention it FEEDS them!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  11:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda
Good thing I asked, that use for the belts would never have crossed my mind, but then alot of things never cross my mind. Good idea for the band, and I'am sure the kids love them.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page