Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking, I know, not an easy thing to do , however, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if while garage saleing to come across some old hand written cook books, or old cookbooks with a lot of written side lines. I never thought to look through books for something like that, alot of history to be found in an old cookbook.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  4:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm always on the lookout for enamelware, but not just everything, just pieces I can actually use. I also like tins and trays. I look for cutter quilts to make hot water bottle covers and tea cozies for Christmas gifts. Vintage linens, of course, for crafts so very inexpensive or torn here and there so I'm not cutting up anything nice. I've been looking for cookie cutters lately to make pincushions inside them. I usually keep a list of what we need with me so I can actually shop the sales and not just wander for hours and come home with stuff I can't store! (guilty) I've stopped buying clothes for myself. But I have started buying rubber ducks for my daughter's collection.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile
FABRICS!!!!!!!! I LOVE old fabric!!!! I have stashes of the stuff...and hubby rolls his eyes everytime!!
Story for ya........took hubby to his first auction last spring. Boxes of fabrics came up that I wanted so I told hubby to keep an eye on them and bid. Off to the little girls room I went...and I hear that they've started the boxes of fabrics....I run out..no one is biddin'...i can't see hubby so I raise my hand. The biddin' war is on.....there was another person biddin' like mad against me, and the box just got to high, so I let it go. Hubby finally shows up with this grin...ear to ear and says...'Well honey, I was biddin' on that box of fabric for ya...and the biddin' went real high...but I got it." I just stared at him and then bonked him in the head as I said' you dummy........it was ME you was biddin' against'!!!LOL
We still laugh about that. I told him that if I take him again this year I'm tyin' his hands to his sides.LOL

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

Great buy on those metal chairs! I'm so bummed - last week when we were back east, we drove by a wicker settee and chair left out for the trash and I couldn't get them. Bummer. I was oohing and aahing but had no way to get them back home. My husband knows how much I love that stuff. I just should've taken them and figured it out later!!

Nancy - Is West Seneca anywhere near Auburn or Syracuse? We have some family out that way.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Debbie
To bad about the wicker, should have tied it to the roof, I know sometimes when I am saleing I see a big item and have no way to get it home, happened with a rocking chair once.
West Seneca is about 2 hours from syracuse, about 10 miles outside of Buffalo.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

I have to think faster next time! We used to have friends in Hamburg. We went to their wedding in Orchard Park (?) a few years ago. It was at an Italian restaurant right by the football stadium. Of course, we had to make the trip to Niagra Falls!

Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile
We are right next to Orchard Park, my husband was brought up there, and Hambury is the next town over. You came along way for a wedding!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh well, that was when we lived in NY. We used to live down in Westchester County, then in Putnam County. Then in CT until we decided to get out of the hustle and bustle.

Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile
I found a fancy tickler this past weekend. And it did send me to twittering!

It was a child's sized washboard, tub and clothes pins. All for 10.00! I don't think I ran over or pushed anybody when I saw it. But as soon as I did see it I thought "It's mine!" It was going home with me period.

It's now displayed on a shelf above my washing machine. The clothes pins for now are in a candy jar. Behind the washboard and tub I want to put up a mini clothesline hung with small antique garments. It's so cute.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  09:28:17 AM  Show Profile
I think I might like to add a few bird cages to my list, maybe hang them outside and put a plant in them or put candles in when we are out in the evening, or they would look nice hanging there is I could find a nice pretend bird to put in it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile
A woman I once knew got one of those huge standing ones for parrots that had a larger than average door. It was new but it was a second. One of the legs needed to be rewelded.

She put a glass shelf in it midway and made it into a "sideboard" for her small patio. It leaves her table free to eat on. It was really sharp looking.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  9:10:32 PM  Show Profile
well .. i can honestly say that i don't have too much on my garage sale list .. cuz' i am selling so much really great stuff .. most of which is better than what i'm finding even in antiques shoppes. i do still look for mid-1800's 'farm' type things .. but really UNUSUAL things .. for instance .. i love my 'civil war era' doctor's small stove that a Pulaski County, KY doctor would take with him in his buggy when he made mountain house calls ... and i really love al lthe old farm tools and garden tools that i have collected .. i have a very early hand-made bird-cage that i adore .. and i have several 'food dehydrators' that you would set on a wood stove .. those kinds of treasures are what i look for now ... OH .. and ALWAYS vintage homespun fabric! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHATS ON YOUR GARAGE SALE LIST? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page