KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow I will be bring home a new rooster, any tips on how to introduce him?? I was told to lock them all up together for 24 hours. Is this true???

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile
introduce him at night, in the dark, so they all wake up together, less fighting that way.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  08:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I'm so glad you found one. Just to be on the safe side and be able to observe him a few days, I'd keep him in a cage in the hen house with the girls so they can see each other. That way you can see if there is anything wrong with him. More than likely, he's ok and would be just fine to put right in with them. But to be safe, I'd do the cage for a few days.

Good luck! You'll have nice fertile eggs soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  2:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, we brought him home today, a close friens of my DH's raised him, he is small but seems great, I put him in the cage, while the hens were free ranging, I think They will do fine tonight.
THanks Ya'll
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  3:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, how's the boy doing so far?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Not so well, The hens are picking on him! He stayed in the top loft of the coop all day, didn't come down for food or water! Everytime he comes down the hens attack him! Poor fella! I am hoping for a better experience for him tomorrow. The good thing is I left the door open and he didn't run away, I think he is just nervous.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:28:24 PM  Show Profile
i kelly, i once added a rooster to my flock. he was beautiful. put him in at night. they killed him by morning. i was so shocked. so if i were him i would hide too. maybe the girls will have more ideas. i think the cage idea is good. if he could be in an area of the chicken yard and yet not with them. they could get to know each other.kris is right i think. he is a threat to them now.just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  04:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I think since he's smaller than the girls he's fair game to them. Anything different or small is a target. I'd keep him caged awhile. Poor guy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4277 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4277 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  04:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Chickens can be so mean! It might help to let him with the hens during the day, outside?? Let the biddies get used to him and then he can get away from them. In a coop he is limited on where he can go. My new rooster got picked on for about a week, but he was the same size as the girls.
good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:12:38 AM  Show Profile
How is it going Kelly???
I too have had a small rooster nearly killed, be carful. But chickens are mean... if they smell fear you are done!
I try to keep similar sizes together, I have two pens and free rangers. I have thre groups of fre rangers that have developed their own flocks. On is my large buff rooster and his three girls. Then thier is my two chocolate egg layers[1 rooster and 1 hen], then thier is my bantam crew [1 hen 1 rooster, he thinks he is the biggest badest of them all. Then in my pens are my heavy egg layers [which include two roosters and 28 hens]and my fancies [which is a cochin rooster some bantams and my auracanas. I also have three in a pen in the garage. One was hatched this fall! Then the rooster in the garage was beat up by the cochin rooster and then a buff hen how will be dinner soon, she lays no eggs and is very crazy! So in all I have always tried to keep my flocks similar in energy and size. This does help in the night time killings! Good luck!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  2:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I never thought they would kill him!
He seems to be doing a little better today, they are still mean to him, he is the same age as the hens just a tad smaller in size, my hens are rather fat. He is vocal, and scared, I think tomorrow I will get him out and see if he will free range a little, I just hope he is eating, I can't stay up at the barn all day and babysit him, so I don't know how much food he is getting. Thanks for all of your ideas!
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:11:42 AM  Show Profile
I am an offical farmgirl, now that my rooster is CROWING! Yes, it is true, he has been crowing and strutting around all morning! I love it! I finally feel home!
It is so amazing to me what that sound can do to someone! I am truly blessed!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  11:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, he is the man now! Good for him. I'm so glad he didn't let the girls get the best of him. And I think a farm just needs a rooster. I love the crowing. And when they get up on a fence and push their chest out you know it's coming. 1 or 2 is just right. I'm so happy for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!