Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I would love to learn how to sew
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I would love to learn how to sew Next Topic  

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Can you recommend a good "how to" book for beginners?

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Stacey it would depend where you start first you have to sew a straight line. Best to go throgh sewing blogs on internet plenty have tutorials I think it is best to start with something you want to make. Mjs stitching book is a beginers sewing book alsoand includes other things. You could start small like a hanky first. Oh and make sure you own a seam ripper it will be your best friend in the sewing room.

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Lots of tutorials on Youtube of all places :-) Check out your local library some of the oldies are goodies when I comes to sewing.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile
I was going to suggest the Sewing for Dummies series, but those on line tutorials are really the best, that is how I relearned to crochet. I have to actually see how something is done, I can't do it if I read about it. Also maybe there is an elderly lady you know of who would be willing to teach you in exchange for home baked goods or a dinner? Then you would both benefit. Good luck, but watch out, it's addictive! Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, I am currently teaching myself to sew using the Simplicity's - Simply the Best Sewing Book. You can buy it at Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby or almost any fabric store. I think it is about $17.00 at Wal Mart. If you have a Hobby Lobby check if they have it. You can get a 40% off coupon on the hobby lobby website and that to get one there. I would recommend it 100%. Prior to this past October the only experience I had in sewing was to hem my pants by hand. These are some of the latest projects I have accomplished. I feel secure enough using this book that I am now attempting some summer clothing for myself. I am proud of my progress and don't know that I could have done it without the book. It is very easy to understand. Explains sewing terms and gives very good instructions on different techniques and stitches.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 11 2010 3:19:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your help.
Victoria I love your work! I will definitely look for that book. What an inspiration!
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, I agree that the Simplicity book mentioned is a great resource. I think sewing something like a very basic pillowcase is a good place to start. I would be more than happy to get together with you and help you in any way I can! Not sure exactly how far away you are from here, but maybe once the weather breaks, if you'd like!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  6:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Victoria you did a great job too those projeccts are great. The apron is so cute. You definately should be proud of yourself I applaud you!!

Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh RubyJunes that would be great! I go on spring break at school the last two weeks of April, frist two weeks of May. Maybe we could figure out something then.
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great, Stacey! Talk soon! :-)

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:15:28 PM  Show Profile
http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/sewingbook/sewbook.html

Here is a free online book for you girls who are looking for how to you can print it out. I haven;t looked at the whole thing hope this helps someone.

Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  06:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  06:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Stacey, You could just go to your local Hobby Lobby or fabric shop and they could show you the books they have. It really just takes getting started. You get to where you just will not want to stop. After you see all the fun things you can do, you'll spend all your free time at the machine. Have fun learning and be sure to show us your creations.

Also, Victoria, your sewing is beautiful! I need a new apron, think I'll start one today!

Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Stacey you have received some great advise - I might add that in some towns local colleges give classes and some are even free. Other places such as local libraries have sewing guilds that would be more then willing to assist the beginner. Then local sewing stores also offer classes but sometimes you can also just leave your name and your needs and they will hook you up with others who are willing to help. You might also check here on this site to see if farmgirl sewing sisters are close to you and if they would be willing to take you under their wing.

If you where close to me I surely would have you over for some lessons. I am excited for you to start this journey - once you get started you will find your skill increase daily. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile
OMG....Victoria!! The apron and tote bags you sewed are adorable!!!! I asked for and received a sewing machine for Christmas. I did sew a half apron and it turned out pretty good, but your's look professionally made! Thanks for letting us know about the Simplicity Sewing book...I am going to get it!

Linda
Sheridan, Indiana
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I would love to learn how to sew Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page