kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone mop when it's muddy and rainy and just icky outside? With people and dogs coming in and out I just think it's senseless and a waste of time. I have mats and rugs and even a towel to wipe the dog's feet before he comes in. But even that doesn't help much.

So I just got done cleaning and sweeping and swiffering the floors, which are wood, and now I want to mop because it just looks half clean. There are footprints and paw prints all over. But should I? The grands will be here all weekend and the hubby. So maybe I'll just wait til Tuesday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Kris you and I have the same problem MUD and a truck driving DH. I used to clean like crazy when he was coming in now I clean when he leaves I am a much neater person than he is so I have a clean house when he is gone and a messy while he is in.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean!!! I don't mop, I scrub the floor with a scrub brush.So I only do it once a week no matter how dirty the floor is. Between my farmer DH and all 6 of my dogs, it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the floors clean. Even though the dogs only come in at night, they make a huge mess.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Diana, that's so funny. I used to claen on Mondays after the kids went back to school and hubby left. It is a little silly to clean when I'll have a housefull on the weekends. And all this mud doesn't help at all. But I do like to at least have the living and dining rooms clean when he comes home. At least that way he thinks I've been kind of busy. But I do it on Thursdays.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just wish we could train the dogs to wipe their feet real good before they come in. Mine is so excited he's all over the house in 10 seconds. For that matter, the hubby's, too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  07:33:51 AM  Show Profile
thought i would chime in. yes yes yes .....floors what a mess. i also hate that i find hay and barn stuff everywhere. i use a battery powered little vac on off days. then a good vac 1 time a week and a steam mop. like you kris i have solid surface floors. no carpet due to sensitivities. i never realized how much gets tracked in till we put the floors down. our yorkie is famous for dragging in the dirt. he went to my friend lisas yesterday for a groom. hoping it will cut down some of the mess. we dont clip him in winter.i think my biggest mess is the kitchen floor. i am a pig. everything i am doing seems to end up on the floor. since i am making soap cheese milking a cow jam and marmalade etc. you girls know what i am talking about. we are busy farmgirls. well my k floor shows it.AND the butchering. we had a realtor over since we may lose the house. first thing he said was "wheres your concrete counter top papa made?" i said down the sink. i had wore it down so far i could not get it clean. now it is granite and i c an clean and shine it for every task.i use a lot of vinegar for EVERYTHING. what a miracle vinegar is. just a thought or maybe two sherrye heres a thought to ponder...lol...i seem to always have the barn with me. hay in the hair, my bra my socks.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, you might lose your house? How awful. I know there have been a few times when I thought we'd lose ours. And there is always that in the back of my mind. Hubby is a truck driver. Pay has not been that great lately. I sure hope things turn around for ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile
UGHH!!! I hate cleaning my floors!! I have four kids and and I know I delivered them at the hospital but you'd swear they were born in a barn! I'm pretty sure the dh WAS born in a barn. I'm not looking forward to spring when everything thaws out around here as everything gets so sloppy. I have to harp at the kids and catch the two dogs in the entryway to wipe off their paws. I remember the days of being single and I would do all my housework on Saturday morning and the house would stay pretty clean for the whole week.

Oh, my hubby was an OTR truck driver and he quit last April because we were barely getting by. So, I know how you gals feel. Just out of the blue his old boss called and offered him a job on his cattle farm. It couldn't of happened at a better time.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I mopped yesterday, with 12 inches of snow on the ground. Couldn't take it anymore. We have 4 dogs, and all hard surfaces, with the exception of wool area rugs. In the kitchen and living room, though, I bought these awesome rugs from Plow & Hearth that are very thin, and microfibre and sop everything up. They wash up well, and go right back down. I also have a microfibre mop (Bona, I think?) and with the 3 pads it comes with, I simply wet them with hot water, spray some method all purpose cleaner down from a spraybottle mixed with water and do quick touch-ups.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile
thanks kris, its hard to imagine leaving here. we just got it how we like it. such is life and signs of the times. so very many folks are in our situation. our neighborhood here 5 and 10 acre parcels are emptying out. mortgage co. will not work with folks. they make more money on short sales. the gov. has decided to give them money to boost short sales. so logic is if they make more money tax free gov. money why do loan modifications. anyway ranting on here, sorry. not even the post topic sorry girls. back to mopping.i too use a microfibre mop. i love the pads. right in the washer. easy clean. just a few thoughts sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  06:36:05 AM  Show Profile
We have three Great Danes a lab and a border collie/mix. We have had more rain this year than I can ever remember. Our back yard could be a fish pond. We have wood floors. The rug by my back door is probably ruined and will need to be thrown away as we have nasty black gumbo type dirt. We have towels down and we dry every paw before it gets in but still it isn't enough. We mop now and then but don't even begin to try to keep up with the muddy paw prints. I also have horses and there is mud from my boots (which I take off at the door) and my overalls which I take off at the door but as they dry the dirt drifts off onto the floor and the bits of hay go with it and then the cats and dogs go smell the boots and overalls and track everything around the house. Well, you get the picture. I am just going to try to keep from being buried and mop everything when the yard drys up.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Toby, that is great news. I'm glad things are working out for ya'll. Sounds like messy work, though. But I love my cows so it's good work. And I know exactly how you feel about the kids and hubby being born in a barn. I have to stand at the door and make sure they wipe their feet and take off the shoes as soon as they come in. Then there are shoes and dirty nasty socks all over the kitchen floor.

Jonni, that sounds like a really nice rug. I'd love to have some of those. And the micro fibre mop sounds like a good sopping up mop. And that's a lotta dogs, girl! That's 16 muddy messy wet paws there to have to dry off.

And Beth with 3 GD. That's like twice as much paw mess going on. That's so funny. Iy sounds like me. I wear the same dirty pants to feed and do chores in. I roll the pants legs up and that catches hay and mud and other things. So that's in the house too. Yeah, it just never ends, does it?

Sherry, I am going to e-mail you.

I think I need to mop today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I kind of give up when it is rainy - dog, husband, cat, son, etc. but it gets to a certain point and I can't take it. I am right there with those of you who wait for their husband to leave to clean - can't do a thing with him in the house, sometimes he actually follows me around while I'm cleaning and watches, he is kind of like Pigpen from Charlie Brown - amazing.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  5:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Two ideas:
1. Look for a door mat that looks like a bunch of straw brooms bunched together upside down. Amazing how much dirt they will knock off! Used to have one at a quilt shop I owned.
2. Keep a dishpan with about 2" of water in it near the backdoor. With a bit of patience you should be able to teach your dog to "rinse his paws" esp if they have any water dog tendencies!!! Then put a chamois type wiping towel down on the floor. We have two labs and I would give anything to have any kind of "mud room" so I could do this. A woman who teaches the dog obedience classes we attended does this with her German Shepherd and Golden Retriever.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  06:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Joy, I have a yellow lab, Bubba. He hates water unless it's the nasty pond out back. He'll jump right in there. But try to give that dog a bath and he runs for the hills! So I just try to wipe his feet at the door. I sure do wish I had a mud room. We walk into the kitchen and that's where all the shoes end up. And it's a small kitchen, too. So I am constantly stepping over shoes.

It is hard for me to clean when people are around. I want the house to myself, crank up some nice music and just clean.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:57:26 PM  Show Profile
i know the feeling i have four cats and little paw prints everywhereon rainy days
knit sweeper cover is great and no waste

inch by inch
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  06:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I put in a doggy door last year. It is convient for the hound but heck on my floors! My least favorite household chore!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Spent the day cleaning floors too, 6 dogs , 5 cats and a hubby who is disabled and cant walk without his boots on. So the floor was messed up before it even dried, But knowing that what I mopped up was probably tracked in from the barn, I dont mind a few footprints from mud. Tore up the last of the carpet and have all hard floors now, loving it, got all the smelly stuff out and am ready for regular cleaning again. Just gotta quit bringing baby chicks and bunnies in the house. geez what a mess.So we're clean until I bring home that bottle baby dairy goat next month. groan
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:32:36 PM  Show Profile
That's what I have more than anything, the paw prints. Dog and a cat. And what a mess around his bowl. Even with paper under it.

Larraine, that's a lotta critters. And they all come in and out? Yikes! And what kind of dairy baby are you getting? How fun. Do you have other goats? I have probably asked you before, but my brain goes south every now and then. Sorry. I am waiting on my 4 does to kid sometime this month.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile
5 dogs.. 2 Aussies(very hairy) 1 husky/mix rescue(also hairy), 1 black mouth cur(the least messy of the 5) & 1 incontinent 13 yo Great Dane(pee, poop, you name it, several times a day), & SW Ohio, snow, rain, ice mix. Need I say more??
ICCKKK a DEE ICKKK ICKK ICKK!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  06:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, waht a bunch of big dog paws. Wow. I bet you do have to keep cleaning after those guys.

I am going to have to mop. My floors are really getting nasty. And my parents will be here tomorrow for the weekend. I've been cleaning off counters and can see them again. So the floors will be next.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mopping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page