Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  03:55:23 AM  Show Profile
I was e-mailing to a friend last night describing my "symptoms" to see if they were anything like what she had experienced. She had severe mood swings and depression and is actually on something that is placed under the skin on her hip. It lasts for 3 months

W/in the past 2 months here lately, there have been 2 episodes of extreme rage and night sweats.

I am a very impatient person anyway, but this lashing out has me worried.

And with it being so cold and wanting to wrap up and bundle, I thought the sweats were from wearing too many layers to bed. There have been times when the sweat is literally ROLLING off my forehead.

True, hubby likes to keep the house really toasty, but I blocked the register in the bedroom, so it's a lot cooler.

i'll be making an apointment for the dr. today anyway just 'cause I want to see what my hormone levels are.

In the meantime, are there any teas or tinctures out there to level out one's moods. If it's something I'll have to drink daily, that's ok. It's sure not worth feeling like I want to kill people when I;m normally the sweet, quiet wallflower

And I totally had a senior moment that about sent me through the windshield when I stomped on the my husband;s truck break thinking I was in my truck and had to mash the clutch. OOPS! I'll not do that again. Luckily no one was around

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh Anna, at least you don't think you're dying of some strange disease...which was what I thought with the night sweats and rage. Things have leveled out a lot. I carry a bottle of "Rescue Remedy" with me now and that helps when I start feeling overwhelmed. It's a homeopathic remedy that I get at our organic grocery/health food store. It's put out by "Bach". Good luck, and hang in there :)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't have answers but would love to see if someone else does. I don't have night sweats, thank you Lord. But the rage and horrible outbursts are what I don't like. Also the forgetfulness. And driving is not the time to be forgetful!

I hope your doctor can help you. Please let us know what you find out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  03:38:17 AM  Show Profile
We have an all natural health food store in town and Earth Fare w/in reasonable driving limits, so I'll check these out for the Rescue Remedy.

I really hate feeling super mad at the world.

And an apointment has been scheduled for next Wednesday.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  03:41:02 AM  Show Profile
And I'm already forgetful. If I make lists it tends to stick a little better.

But strange how you can remember some things, like a chili cook-off in 2 weeks, but can't remember what somebody told you an hour ago!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  4:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Is being constantly touchy and irritable a sign of the "change"? Over the past year, I've gotten so defensive over little things that people say--things that I should just shrug off, but they get to me. Plus it's so hard to lose any weight--I used to lose weight very easily. I've never been a Pollyanna, but I don't like this feeling of gloom. I just turned 47, and I'm reasonably satisfied with my current status in life, so why do I feel like a gloomy Gus all the time? And yes, sometimes I get these feelings of rage, and I REALLY don't like that. I feel like I should be more upbeat and be out there kickin' up my heels, but all I want to do is sit at home and spend time with my dog. I wonder what happened to my sense of peace and sense of adventure. Not to mention my sense of humor. Can hormones affect people like this?

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  5:07:32 PM  Show Profile
I remember once when I was going through menopause....I sat in an upstairs bedroom just crying to beat the band. My teenage daughter said why are you crying mom? And I had no answer! I just said honey, I really do not know! Honestly, I don't know. So don't feel bad, because I am mystified too.

I hope your doc can help you and that you can get through this time. Now that I am 60 and over it, I feel so much better! I never cry unless there is a real reason! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  7:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes all I have to do is hear a sad song and I'll start crying. It's really weird, because five minutes later, I'll be back to normal.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  07:21:42 AM  Show Profile
I used Black Cohosh root...Helped alot but I was really cold while taking it..Hot flashes or cold...Its up to you but it does help the mood swings!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  11:45:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a Doc that I go to & he prescribes me a bio-identical .....works somewhat.

C

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

gardening gayla
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Gayla
Topeka Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  1:30:14 PM  Show Profile
This won't help your symptoms other than give you something to laugh about on the way to the Dr appointment. Do you know why they call it menopause? Because mad cow disease already had that name. LOL We all have it to go through so you might as well laugh whenever you can. Not much about it is funny but you will survive and hopefully, those around you will too. Mine is a memory but now my daughter is in the midst of it although she will not admit it, yet. Actually, it can be a right of passage into a much more tranquil stage of life. Bless you as you travel this path.

Blessings, from a country woman in the city. Gayla
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile
I too would love to be back to my old self. Just finished reading "Before The Change," by Ann Louise Gittlemen. I am 42, and have started to experience excessive worrying, weight gain, mood swings, and extreme forgetfulness. I am only about 10 days into the recommendations Ann makes in the book, but I am feeling a lot better. I take flax seed oil, and evening primrose oil now, and have made a few dietary changes. She has also written a book called "The Fat Flush Plan" which I have used and felt great on. These extra supplements really seem to help with the menopause issues, and she does also recommend the Black Cohosh.

~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  03:42:23 AM  Show Profile
The hot flash issue can be delt with no problem. Those seem to be limited to night only for now. During winter I guess that could be a blessing in disguise.

It's the bad mood swings I can't handle--or want to expose my spouse and friends to, that's for sure.

And like I said, i;m already an airhead, so if I keep a list nearby and actually do tasks as they come up and are fresh on my mind rather than procrastinating, that should be ok.........for now

I'll be looking forward to the peace and tranquility part, that's for sure!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  03:45:31 AM  Show Profile
And for everybody's information, there's another great author out there who sometimes appears on talk shows. Dr. Joel Fhurman (I think) is a big proponent of eating whole foods and promoting a healthy lifestyle. He says that by upping our fruit and vegie intakes, we can forego the supplemental drugs that are supposed to aid with high blood presure and stuff like that.

So I KNOW he has foods out there to recommend for our sypmtoms too
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  08:51:45 AM  Show Profile
I am turning 46 and I get the mood swings and anger for no specific reason. Little things do set me off. I try to either go outside and work if I can or go for a walk or do a few minutes of some kind of physical acitivity. Seems to help somewhat. The gloominess happens and is hard to snap out of. I also have a bit of "leave me alone I don't want to talk to anyone" happening which bothers me more than anything because I find myself falling into what I call the "alone trap" which in turn makes me feel lonely but then when I see people I'm just irritated. Weird what a person's hormones can do.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:54:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm 50 and started having hot flashes 1 and 1/2 years ago. I did some reading and internet research and found that soy was supposed to help with the hot flashes. I started drinking a cup of soy milk every morning and then after a week the hot flashes were gone. They came back a couple months ago and I got some soy capsules and take one each night before I go to bed. Now between the capsule and the soy milk in the morning I'm hot flash free again. Appearently soy has a small amount of estrogen in it, but I don't know if it helps with the mood swings.

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  03:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Went the other day for blood tests

In and out in 5 minutes

Still waiting for results

Not sure I like the git em in 'n out mentality so I just might be switching drs in the near distant future.

And I have always had male drs. Maybe its time for another female. Had 1 when I lived in Cali and she was the best!
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  6:05:03 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that the bioidentical hormones can work wonders...naturally

Smiles

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  8:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I could write a book on this topic. What amazed me during the rages was the perception that I was fine and everyone else, well, they were all idiots. Including husbands.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  03:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Yea! That's about how I felt....all idiots! Kille 'em all!

And I did get blood results back yesterday. Not the answer I was seeking. They drew blood for something else, not hormone levels. So whatever level they were looking was "normal" but still doesn't answer my question in the least

Think I'll be looking for another well woman dr. and will start w/ my good friend who just had her baby last week. She had to drive 30 miles. But no matter. I get tired of compromized care.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I think quality care make all the differenc in the world! I have a wonderful doc who will take as much time as I need. She answers all my questions completely (NEVER talks down to me) and knows me enough to ask about my family and work. I really appreciate that!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, Hot flashes are the pits. I just hate talking with someone face to face and suddenly my only thought is to rip my clothes off and run naked to a cold shower. I have learned to wear only button or zipper up sweaters and t-shirts. Easy escape. I have tried most of the over the counter remedies and they all worked for a while and then stopped. Rescue Remedy is Great and I carry a bottles with me at all times. I also carry a bottle of liquid vitamin B complex. My herbalist put me on Prolamine Iodine which seems to be helping. Soy also work good for me but made for enlarged breasts ( don't need that with a 34DD) and tenderness. I also take a good Raw vitamin for women everyday. Try to limit caffeine and alcohol. Eat as much raw foods that I can and exercise. Not like going to the gym but just some extra streching at home along with walking. I did talk to my doctors regarding medications but his choices were the Pill or Effexor a mood stabilizer. I choice neither since they are just short term fixes and when you go off of them you will go back to the same symptoms. Well after 5 years of Post menopausal hot flashes I must be coming to the end. Right? Good Luck and let us know what happens.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  5:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I am finally past all of that but it was awful. I didn't just get mad and have rages I got totally paranoid about everything. And the hot flashes were terrible. I am finally to the point I can just take the over the counter estroven. Don't like having to take it but it keeps me sane. I started at about 45 and now I am 53. I don't have night sweets anymore but I still have hot flashes very occasionally. If you have access to any you can put peppermint EO in a spritz of distilled water and keep it in the fridge. It will stop a hot flash pretty quickly and make you feel human.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Whan manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  03:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Ahh all stuff that is good to know

I like the estrogen tablet idea as the taste of soy is a little off-putting

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  01:33:08 AM  Show Profile
I am right in the thick of this menopausal mess. I just had a hysterectomy because of health issues and glad I did. The female pain I have had for years is finally gone. Now I am dealing with all the emotions and upheaval that comes with a total hysterectomy. I will try the peppermint EO for relief. What is Promaline iodine? I like the natural myself and am going to have to find something for post op depression if I don't straighten up soon. I hate this stuff!!!!! Some days/parts of days I function fine, other days I am a mess. I have been sick enough I have not worked for 14 months and am going crazy trying to find enough to do. All my friends work. My house is a wreck, but I don't have the energy to care right now. Hubby just ignores it and has been such a godsend. Thankful for him!
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile
My main problem is hot flashes, forgetfulness and night sweats. My husband just looks at me and shakes his head when I'm wondering around the house trying to remember what I was doing. I've been planning on trying the Estrovan. I don't want to take any of the hormone shots due to the side effects I've read about.
Meanwhile, I keep telling myself "this to shall pass".
Good luck to you all.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic mental pause Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page