Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Deodorant Next Topic  

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I've recently started making my own deodorant, and I have been so happy and thrilled with it, I thought I'd share it with y'all...you know, since I'm such a sweet generous thang....

All it is is:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
5 T coconut oil

Just mix the powders with a fork, and then work in the oil, starting with 4 T and working more in, to make a paste.

That's all there is to it, and it's SO much healthier that the stuff from the store with aluminum and goodness knows what else in them! I've been using it for about a week now, and it's been working just fantastic. Of course, it is winter time and cold, so maybe it won't work as well in the heat of the summer! Even it doesn't work in the heat, I'd still be excited about finding an alternative for a while, at least! Also, I've always had problems with uncomfortable bumps and things under my arms, places that make shaving a little...scary sometimes! I think this stuff is helping that as well! They're going away!

I hope this is helpful to someone and that it makes you as happy as it has me! I'm always excited to find a new, healthy alternative to some skin care products!

~Kayla

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kayla!! I met you at miss wilma's. My sis & I sat with you & your mom while we made the stuffed dogs. I was the one who had trouble sewing ANYTHING! I also use that recipe for deodorant, with a little orange essential oil in it, but more often than not, I just put plain old baking soda on my armpits just after showering while they are still damp. I have been using this for a couple of years, & it works better than store bought. Of course if you spend the day sweating & out in the barn & don't take a shower, well, then things can get a bit smelly, but certainly no more than with the icky stuff. I have also noticed that my white tees don't get pit stains in them that I used to get(I sweat a LOT in the summer) I always thought that was from the sweat, & here it was the icky deodorant.
Good to see you back, I have to admit, I check your blog from time to time(I got one of your cards from miss wilma's) & always enjoy what all your family does.JEESSHH! Do you ever sleep?? Was glad to see a recent update. Can I come for dinner?
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
LOL..I remember you well! I know..I need to update more often, and it does help to know some people keep up with it! Maybe all I needed was a little motivation from someone other than extended family! LOL I would like to be posting more pictures a couple times a week.

I do sleep...too much, according to my parents. :D You're welcome for dinner any time!

Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Kayla! I'm going to give it a try!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  08:47:01 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try the baking soda. I did find one at walmart, winco also sells it. Its called Tom's. My local Vitamin Store sells it in so many scents. The only problem I noticed was I still get wet under my arms. I asusme thats what the aluminum does....HB uses speed stick my mennen. His doesnt have aluminum in it wither. What gets me is that he doesnt get wet under his pits and this company doesnt make a scent for women or I would use that one. Hopefully the baking soda works for me.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  11:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I had made some with baking soda, corn startch and tea tree oil. It broke me out bad after a few days so had to stop. I think it was the tea tree oil. So I will try this way. But the coconut oil, is it liquid or solid? I have the solid that I make soap with. Can I use that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
So sorry to take so long to get back here! I was out of town...

Our coconut oil is solid when it's cool in the house, and liquid when it's hot! I made this back when it was cooler, and it was a nice consistency then. Since then, it has melted (actually, in the back of the hot truck when I was out of town!) and it did separate out a bit. I just mixed it back up. I am anxious to see how it will do in the summertime here, as we don't have air conditioning and it does get HOT! Worst case, I'll just have to dip my finger in the liquid and rub it on!

So, long story short, yes...use the solid oil! I thought about keeping the doedorant in a cooler or something during the summer, but I don't yet. I'll just have to wait and see!

This does not keep you from sweating...just from stinking!

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kayla, tell me more about this deodorant. Did it work for you in Summer? I saw coconut oil at our local grocery/organic section for $9.00/qt jar. It was a thick gooey stuff. Is that it? Also, what else can I use coconut oil for? This is a new product for me. Have you drank coconut milk? I just purchased some last week. It's thinner than I thought it would be.But it's good on cereal.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I make my deodorant like Kayla; it works well in the summer. Of course, if I am cleaning out the goat barn, or chicken coop, or pulling weeds all day, well, than I definitely need to reapply, but that is the case with any deodorant. Plus, I am also at that stage (meno) where I sweat at night, so I think I may be a bit "fresh' in the am. I make mine with 1/3 cup baking soda, 1/3 cup corn starch & 1/3 cup coconut oil. Then I add 3 drops orange oil & 1 drop lavender oil. It smells heavenly. Like a roll with orange frosting.
Coconut oil is a beautiful thing. If you get the right brand, you can eat it straight; it tastes wonderful, & has many health benefits. It will liquefy in the heat & solidify in cold. It is a very stable oil & does not go rancid. You can apply to your skin, consume it, & cook with it. Here is the brand I get; it tastes glorious. http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Oil-15-fl-oz If you are not familiar with Vitacost; they are a great company.
Also, here is a link to a web site with some great info on coconut oil. http://www.coconutoil.com/litalee.htm
Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  12:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much, Lisa...I couldn't get to this very quickly due to our internet problem....

We buy Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil, in a 5-gallon bucket, so it is pretty expensive. But we do use it for everything...skin, cooking, etc.

My deodorant did/does work for me in the summer, but from what I've read, it may work differently for different people, just because of chemical makeup and all of that kind of thing.

Direct link to my blog: http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the tips girls, it's been a GREAT help! :)

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile
I tried this before and had to stop because it was breaking me out. I thought it was because of the tea tree oil. This particular recipe didn't have the oil in it. So last week I mixed up some and used patchouli and sandlewood EO. I used it for about 4 days and loved it. Then I started noticing under my arem were really sore and tender. It really scared me. I thought it was my lymph nodes. Then I noticed they were red. So I had to stop again. I am very upset because I really wanted to use this. It's been a few days since I have stopped and I am fine now. So I know it was this. I guess my cheical makeup just won't tolerate something in it. I hope it works for ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, I had that same problem with my crystal deodorant stone. Just every once in awhile the reddness, like you spoke of, would flare up and really burn. I, like you, thought my lymph nodes were acting up, but it was the whole underarm area. I've been using the stone deodorants for over 15 years now. Maybe I need to change to something else for awhile. I'm one on those "Super sensitive" skin gals. Also, a lot of the time I don't even need anything. But for the times that I do "stink", I need something substantial. Tea tree is very strong and can burn. I have to really dilute it when I use it on everything except toe fungus & pimples. That's when I use it full-strengh. So now, I'm debating whether I'll be able to use this recipe, since some of you can't. Guess I won't know 'til I try.

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  09:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Judy, you could just mix up a little and try it. It may not affect you at all. I was thinking maybe since I didn't put tea tree oil in this batch that maybe it's the baking soda? It's just Arm & Hammer. I looked to see if it was aluminum free but didn't see that anywhere. So maybe it has to be organic BS? Do they even make organic BS? Next time I go to Greenlife, I will look and see.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  8:34:03 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh, I forgot to say that when my "pits" were broken out and sore, I thought, well nothing's worked, so I'm going to put B.Soda on them. WOW! BIG mistake. Burn, Burn, Burn! What was I thinking??? I was doing the "IndianRainDance" and flapping my arms like a great heron and running for the bathroom to wash it off. It was awful.*there's a visual for ya* lol

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Hi again! Sorry for being away for so long...things are crazy around my house! I'm doing good to keep up with my blog!

Ok, for all my raving about this deodorant, I stopped using it. I've always, I mean always, been broken out under my arms, so I didn't think much about it when it never went away. Makes shaving a real, literal pain! Anyway, I used this deodorant until I ran out, a few weeks ago. It did work, as far as keeping stink away, but I was still broken out. So when I ran out, I didn't rush to make a new batch, because frankly I'm tired of being broken out! I used straight coconut oil for a while, because I know some people use it, since it's antibacterial, but it didn't work for me. I took lots of showers, and it was cooler, so I was able to us it fairly well for a few weeks. My underarms cleared up, and are much smoother than they have been in years! I can shave without it hurting!!! But I still needed a deodorant, since the coconut oil wasn't working that way for me.

So yesterday I mixed up this recipe. http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/homemade-deodor.html It does have baking soda in it (I think maybe I have a negative reaction to BS as well...talk about that later) but I'm hoping that, with these other ingredients in it as well, the BS is a small enough factor that it won't be a problem. I'm loving it so far, but can't really say for sure after this amount of time. I like the cream consistency, and I really so hope it works without breaking me out!

As far as the baking soda, I'd been washing my hair with BS and ACV for a looong time, and my back and shoulders had started breaking out really bad as well. So for now I've been going back to regular shampoo, but I'm trying to find a less expensive natural shampoo. I haven't seen many recipe for homemade shampoo... So I guess for now I'm just going to cut back on my use of baking soda for personal care products.

With the recipe I just posted, I made it with unrefined shea butter, so it does have a shea buttery smell. I also used unrefined cocoa butter, but the shea it stronger than the cocoa butter. I used tea tree oil, in hopes that that would help clear up skin ailments. I think that, if I wasn't trying to make a deodorant that mainly helped my skin, (instead of just smelling nice) I would use refined butters, and a different essential oil. Living with a soap maker helps...I have unlimited (as long as she's not looking...LOL) access to all these ingredients! Mom and I have actually been talking about the possibility of adding something along these lines to our list of products, but that's just talk, so far. I realize that not everyone has access to the stuff to make their own.

Anyway, that's that...just want to let everyone know what's been going on under my arms. Haven't you missed knowing???

Edited by - fiddlegirl89 on Oct 22 2010 10:06:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  09:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the underarm update, lol!

I only have one thing to add, I suppose. I have been using goat's milk soap/homemade soap on my hair, and it works just fine. Plus, I know what's in there! About 2x a week, I use an organic shampoo with non-irritating ingredients that works ok, too.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  11:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, I've used my Mom's soap (milk soap) in my hair a few times, but it seems to always leave my hair feeling gunky. Maybe I could do an ACV rinse after washing with the soap.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Deodorant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page