Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Best things to put your embroidery on....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best things to put your embroidery on....? Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  3:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Will you guys humor me with a little survey? I'm wondering what kind of item you would say is the best for embroidery? What do you buy, make or like when you see it? Does design trump durability? What do you think? Dishtowels, pillows, aprons, tote bags, table runners? What are your favs?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  5:11:49 PM  Show Profile
I have found when I embroider that the best fabric you can get should be used. It is a labor of love for me but also labor intensive and you want your work to last and last and last. Why put that creativity into cheap fabric?

I do a lot of flour sack dishtowels with red work but only on heavy hemmed flour sack dishtowels from a restaurant manufacturer I found on-line. I also skip any fabric with polyester because it has a tendency to pill. Linen is very, very nice (kinda slippery) but it is a timeless fabric that is made to last.

Also, make sure that you have quality embroidery floss--DMC cotton is 1st class; that's all I ever use.

Hope this helps.

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile
I like to do things that are going to be around for a while like holiday table clothes or keepsake baby blankets. I have just recently started doing dish towels. I really had a good time doing a shilly shally for my sister for Valentines Day. I think it is something she will have forever.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile
I embroider on anything and everything. It's all good........

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  04:13:58 AM  Show Profile
I am thinking like Hosanna....anything goes. Right now I am embroidering tote bags and 2 quilts for my grand daughters. At Christmas time it was pillows.
I am making myself a shift or chemise for summer, for bed, and I plan on embroidering that. I want to do pillowcases this summer too.
Oh, and I am embroidering the little onesies for Mary's trip to Haiti, and one other project which I can't say, because it's a secret for someone, and I don't want her to see this, lol!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  04:33:34 AM  Show Profile
I like good quility Muslin.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  05:06:10 AM  Show Profile
Muslin is the best, or a cotton that is soft but not loose in it's weave. Think pillow case and kitchen towel. And wash it to ge sizing out if it is new. And one of the most fun embroideries I ever did was on a soft denim.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best things to put your embroidery on....? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page