True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:43:25 PM  Show Profile
At least I'm pretty sure I've done it!

I've talked DH into chickens! I'm super excited. He was talking to my dad last night about the best way to build a coop! He's even said he'd like to get chicks so they will be used to us handling them.

Now, I can only have girls here in the city and probably only 4. I'm sure I'll be here bugging y'all for advice along the way so I apologize in advance for that.

Of course if you have any words of wisdom now I'll take it. Also if any of you ladies sell chicks and are close to me let me know. I'd rather buy from a farmgirl than anyone!

Tanna

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is great Tanna!!! I've been trying to talk my mom and dad into it but the answer is still no.. How did you do it??? lol
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yea!!! She will love them. I have really loved having my girls..

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  4:33:07 PM  Show Profile
How'd I do it? Persistence without being annoying and presentation of facts. I also have a lot of neighbors behind me on the issue. We went to the Fort Worth Stock Show a couple of weeks ago and looked and even pet some of the hens there. I think that may have helped too.

Just think Channa, you know what you want now therefore one day you will have it. One day you will have a place of your own where you can have lots of animals. I didn't realize I was even farmgirl inclined until a few years ago. I used to be afraid to even plant a flower because I thought I didn't know enough about gardening. One day my aunt came over and helped me start some herbs and now I have roses everywhere, herbs everywhere else and veggies growing year round. Chickens were the obvious next step. I hope one day to have more land and a miniature Jersey cow and some goats and , well....the list goes on. You're getting an earlier start and I think that's great!

Hugs back,
Tanna
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  4:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Yep Tanna, sounds like you got the fever!
Once it starts, it never seems to end. Enjoy the ride!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Tanna! I love chickens. I hope you can keep us updated on the hen house progress. Gotta love those guys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile
You will love your little flock, and will wonder what you ever did with out chickens. Keep us updated, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  9:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great news, Tanna! How exciting!! I wish we were allowed to have some chickens in the city limits around here but it is prohibited. :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Bug away, Tanna! I'm really excited for you! I love my chickens, and any advice I can answer, just fire away!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:39:10 AM  Show Profile
happy days ahead for you.they will surely keep you entertained. if you have questions the girls here will help you for sure.sherrye what kind are you going to get?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I haven't decided 100 % but I am thinking about Buff Orpingtons, Americaunas, and/or Golden Sex Links. Maybe Barred Rocks. I can find all of these locally so I don't have to worry about the babies being shipped.

Any opinions on any of these? I think the Buff Orpingtons would be nice for the kids. My son likes the idea of an Americauna.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  05:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Tanna, I look forward to hearing your chick adventures & the great advice I know you'll get here! I would like to get some chicks myself some day, but just am not ready yet. I have a lot of research to do. I just got a homesteading book & will be reading that to learn, as well as other reading. Glad your DH finally accepted the idea! Have fun!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  06:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I have chicken envy! That was probably my favorite part of living on the farm...the chickens. They are so much fun and entertainment will always be a backdoor away! Here we are prohibited from having chickens my DH and I checked as soon as we moved here:(. You will fall in love with your gals and life will never be the same...trust me. Congratulations and best wishes on your new girls.

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  06:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!

I am so excited. DH and I were planning on building the coop but he has hurt his neck. I just don't know how long I can wait. I may have to get help elsewhere. I just can't wait to have little cheeping chicks.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Tanna, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Buffs. They are the sweetest best prettiest birds. AND they are laying eggs!. They are 9 months old. I have 13 and I am getting at least 10 a day from them. I love them. And the roo, Jimmy Buffet, is great. He's so handsome and very sweet. That's my 2 cents.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  08:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh so happy for you! I am currently trying to get my city ordinance changed. Planning commission meeting on Monday and vote on the following Monday. To to the Chicken Whisperer, he has so much info on backyard chickens.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Thanks, that is what I have read about buffs. I think they'll be great. Also I love that you named the roo Jimmy Buffet! Have you been to his sister's restaurant in AL? Lulu's? It is so good. My kids call Jimmy LuLu's brother instead of the other way around.

Diane,

I will look at that. Thanks!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

FaziFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Jane
Fort Worth TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm one of those neighbors that is supporting her. If she can manage to do it and it isn't too too much trouble, then there might be some friends for hers down the street! I have a perfect place for them, just going to wait for her to work all the kinks out.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

FaziFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Jane
Fort Worth TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I think that we (the older kids and I & maybe my hubby) could probably help you with the building of the coop. I think it would be fun and if we attack with vigor, we could probably do it in one day. We'll just have to have all the plans and materials purchased prior to that. I bet Kyle would loan us the truck to go get the stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Tanna

Thanks everyone!

I am so excited. DH and I were planning on building the coop but he has hurt his neck. I just don't know how long I can wait. I may have to get help elsewhere. I just can't wait to have little cheeping chicks.

Tanna

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:18:51 PM  Show Profile
I have the plans! I found a back issue of Mother Earth News with plans in it. I've also considered MaryJane's Hen Hotel. It's just so cute.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

FaziFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Jane
Fort Worth TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile
If you have plans, then I suggest a materials list and we figure out when the family can come down there and help you do it. I really think it would be fun! Before it gets too hot.

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Tanna,
Good luck with the chickens I had a couple of leghorns not too fancy,but they were my first loves,

unfornuatelly the raccons got them.

After reenforcing the coop my hubby brought home a tan orpington and a shiny black australorp they are fun and we really enjoy them.
Which issue of Mother earth news did you find the plans in?

Liz
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  6:00:27 PM  Show Profile
So sorry about your leghorns. That is exactly what I am most afraid of.

The plans were in the issue with the firefighters on the cover. Feb./March 2003. It says Chickens on Wheels! in the bottom left corner. I found it at our Half Price Books.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

FaziFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Jane
Fort Worth TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  6:48:40 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe she hasn't updated this thread lately, but Tanna has her chickens. Two Easter Eggers and two buffs. They are very cute and she has them out during the day in her coop, which her hubby built out of reclaimed lumber. It looks fantastic, very classy and what a great home for them. The neighborhood raccoons are already scoping out dinner .. but she has plans to keep them frustrated. Their names are Lulu, Dolly, Fancy and Ostoria (not sure on spellings). We were just watching them take dust baths this afternoon. Tanna is a very good 'Mother Hen' and these little girls are going to have a great home.

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Jane,

I started a new thread introducing the girls. There are pictures of the them and the coop. Thought they have grown quite a bit in a week and a half!
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41065

The spelling is Ostara for my last EE. Though I doubt she minds how it is spelled.

Tanna :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  04:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Tanna!! We just got our hens a couple weeks ago and its been so fun. And I will vouch for the lovely ladies here as great advice givers! I have posted more than a few times with questions about my chickens and these farmgirls are always right there to explain and help!

Enjoy your chicken adventures! We can't wait to hear more about them...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I've done it! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly