Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Rejecting consumerism movement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rejecting consumerism movement Next Topic  

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  10:00:58 AM  Show Profile
I just read about this on another women's board:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/02/13/BAGH3H7DH71.DTL

It's a group who've sworn off spending on new items (except food and such). It's really cool!

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  4:31:45 PM  Show Profile
That's the group that I mentioned on another thread that where you talked about your decisions to be much like them. They were on the today show a couple of weeks ago. And surprised Matt Lauer that they were all wearing second-hand clothing, I don't know what he expected but obviously not clothes that were not obviously used. :o)

Thanks for sharing the link to the article. Have a blessed Easter celebration.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  7:33:09 PM  Show Profile
I didn't realize that was the same thing! Oops! I loved your description of the TV spot though.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  04:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Didn't see them on tv but will definitely check out the above mentioned website.

Thanks for the info!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile
I notice that the group nearly unraveled when one participant needed a shower curtain, and it failed entirely for a time when someone else needed to buy drywall.

These experiments in rejecting consumerism are starting to sound to me like crash diets. They can't be sustained because they're too unrealistic.

I agree wholeheartedly with the principle, and I've been following it unintentionally all my life. But I think these people should loosen up a bit if they want to make this a way of life rather than a fad. It doesn't make such a dramatic statement, but it's just common sense to acknowledge that sometimes you need to purchase a few new items beyond food and medicine.

There was a point in my life when I was conscientiously trying not to buy any new clothing that I couldn't verify to be made with fair labor practices. It fell apart for me when I was about to start a new job, and my only clothes were 3 pairs of jeans (2 with holes) and assorted tee shirts. I drove from one thrift shop to another, but I couldn't find a pair of dress pants that looked good and fit properly. Finally, I realized that it wasn't worth it. I was wasting gas, and stressing myself out on the night before I started this new job. I went to the mall, and I was in and out with my "uniform" in less than an hour.

Just like a diet, you've got to have some flexibility or it won't work.
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  07:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
One thing to consider when you're building...if you want used supplies, there are Habitat for Humanity stores that have used home items from remodels and things like that. Just FYI! :) (Maybe not the used drywall, but a lot of other stuff that could be salvaged/used.)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  08:44:19 AM  Show Profile
it's really great thing, but I keep thinking as I read this - Hey, I go 6 months without buying new clothes and shoes and gadgets.. It's sad to me that there are so many people out there who are SO controlled that they feel pressured into buying and consumming..That they must go on these "crash diets" in order to feel free.. I don't think I really understand because I just don't live in that world..No wonder I feel so disconnected, I don't go to Walmart and malls and shop all the time.. I can't remember when I last bought new shoes and I dress nicely and I'm not out dated I just don't feel the need to have a constant supply of new stuff. But these people are doing something good here by showing people that they can do this, they don't have to be controlled by the media and told that they must have something new all the time to justify their existence.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  09:22:12 AM  Show Profile
What I like about the movement is the questioning. If I need a new washtub, and I'm following this way, then my first thought (after thinking I need one) is can I get it used or borrow it rather than buy new. I think that slows the mind down a bit and thinks ahead about resources and even into the question: do I really need this?

I don't think anyone has to go overboard (from where they are comfortable) and if they do because of some philosophy, they obviously don't feel they have much control over themselves and their lives as it is. Those are the kind of people who latch on to diets, boyfriends, etc. as their whole world.

But for the most part, it could help people question whether or not they really need an item and is there another way of having it besides buying it new. Honestly, I bought a brand new strainer/colander to learn to make yogurt cheese because the used options I found were too bent out of shape. I think it's about feeling like you're making an informed choice rather than blindling running to Wal-Mart or Target every 5 minutes.

It's hard to argue that point here though since so many of us prefer antique (grandma's) stuff anyway and would rather buy used in the first place! I'd rather have an old quilt than a new one, you know! But I'd still rather buy the 1930's one I got for $6 at Salvation Army, than the similar one for $78 at a trendy vintage store. Still a good price but not in my budget!

Maybe Compact is really just "frugal-central" at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Allison, I agree about the questioning. If you need it, you need it. Then you buy it. But it's smart to question if this is the only option.

I'm saddened by the some of the consumerism, and how superficial some lifestyles have become. And I don't think people are happier; they might feel a momentary relief, but things don't really fill us up.
Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile
My favorite part about that story were the google shopping links at the bottom.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rejecting consumerism movement Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page