Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a good recipe or natural product that really works? I am tormented by mosquitoes in the summer and nothing I try seems to work. Highly allergic to DEET... I've tried several recipes/products, but no luck yet. Help!!!

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
have you tried tea tree oil? I think some where I read that it works...... or I found these for you that might work.

To make this organic mosquito repellent, you will need 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil, 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, and 25 drops of Lemon Balm (Citronella) essential oil.

Combine all of the ingredients in a jar and shake well to blend. You can leave the mixture directly in the jar and just dab a few drops on to your skin or you can place it in a misting spray bottle, and spray onto your skin.

Natural Mosquito Repellent Number Two: To make this organic mosquito repellent, you will need 1 cup of 190 proof grain alcohol, 1 teaspoon Lemon essential oil, 1 teaspoon Rosemary essential oil and ½ teaspoon Lemon Balm (Citronella) essential oil.

Place all ingredients into a jar, and shake well to blend. Dab onto skin, or put into a misting bottle and spray on.

Natural Mosquito Repellent Number Three: This organic mosquito repellent requires ½ cup Vodka, ½ cup Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 tablespoons Lemon Balm (Citronella) essential oil.

Place all ingredients into a jar, and shake to mix thoroughly. Dab the mixture onto the skin, or put into a misting spray bottle and spray directly onto skin and clothing.

Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Lemon Balm is not Citronella. Lemon Balm is Melissa Essential Oil (Melissa Officinalis), Citronella is (Cybopogon nardus) . You can also use Lemongrass Essential Oils (Cymbopogon citratus). If you like the taste you can eat alot of garlic. Mosquitoes hate garlic. We even feed it to the horses. There is also a mosquito/fly repellent made for horses and people that is made from marigolds. We use it with Lemongrass EO added to it. I am highly allergic to almost all pesticides they use for animals and plants. But I can use all the ones listed.

Channah I am not sure where you found that Lemon Balm is Citronella but they are not the same. Citronella is what they put in the mosquito candles etc. It does work for Mosquitoes. Citronella and Lemongrass are in the same botanical family but they are not the same and Lemon Balm is totally different.

You were on the right track though and I am impressed that you know so much about aromatherapy.

When I want to use alcohol for an EO I just get Ever Clear but I think you are probably to young to buy that.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your posts Channah and Beth!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975

Edited by - Kerbear on Feb 17 2010 7:45:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  06:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you for your help! I will try those recipes. I have tried various recipes like that with no success. I've even used straight garlic oil diluted with water. (We use it in our organic fertilizer program.) I will just have to keep trying until I find the magic combination!
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Have you heard of neem oil?

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-repellent.html

I use a spray that contains neem oil and catnip. My cat follows me everywhere when I have it on!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:36:02 AM  Show Profile
I made Mary Jane's bug off bars from her Outpost book. They work wel, & keep your skin soft too!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Isn't Lavender a good repellent also?

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  9:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I will be trying all of these suggestions this summer. I've requested MaryJane's books for my b'day (March), so I'll be able to try her idea as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic mosquito repellent? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page