sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  1:30:02 PM  Show Profile
have a question? My year old doe just got butted by another goat in the utter. My question is little blood showed up when I milked her that day. Next day she was clear from blood but her utter is very hard. I've put hot pack, rubbed her utter. But it still is very hard. What elso or what should I do to get it back soft again? It is very hard to milk her as well.
Thanks for any help out there!
farmgirl #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Debra, sounds like her uDDer has an infection. There are supposedly basic strip cup tests out there (not sure, at the feed store), that will tell you if she has an elevated white cell count, which indicates some sort of infection in there--you just milk a few droplets of milk from the infected teat (if possible), through the strip test and it should let you know.

If that doesn't work, I'd really seek the advice of a vet. I don't know if she could get mastitis from such a blow, but it's not really good that the udder is so hard, after the fact. Maybe the other farmgirls have better advice.

Good luck

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: Jan 31st ~ Heather Smith Thomas, author of "Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle" and "Storey's Guide to Raising horses" If you like horses or cattle, JOIN US!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Debra, that happened to one of mine a few years back. She did end up getting mastitis and it took a few months to get her back to good milk. If she does have mastitis (and I would get a kit and test her for sure) then you can use something called Masti-clear. It says it's for cows but you can use it for goats. You just shoot up this medicine from a syringe into the teat. But test her first to make sure. And do not drink the milk. Have you been drinking it? How does it taste? If it's salty then it could be mastitis. I hope it's not but keep doing the hot packs. Good luck. Let us know what you find out. And lucky you for having a goat in milk right now. I have to wait til the middle of April.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Debra, how's the doe today? Just checkin'.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile
my doe still hard but i did test her for mastic it she doesn't have that. Thank goodness. she acts fine and all but still very hard in that one utter. She still gives milk well.. Thanks again for all your help ladies
farmgirl #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic utter on my doe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page