kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile
I think he's gone crazy. He just attacked one of my goats. I have the 4 does out in the yard. I went next door to my little house where my DD is living to eat breakfast with them. The goats went too. I was going through the door and Bubba just went off on my goat Abby. Right in her face growling and barking. She's ok. I put Bubba in the house.

Living way out in the country there are lots of stary cats. I have noticed 3 here. They sleep on the hay and pee all over the place. It stinks. So I am tired of these cats. I have 6 and they are all fixed. These are not. So they fight mine all the time. Anyway, I saw one a few days ago in the milk room where I keep some hay bales. I hollered at Bubba to get the "bad cat". My 2 other dogs run around the yard barking at them. They are almost 13.

So anyway I went back inside and a few minutes later heard the dogs barking the "I have something and I'm gonna kill it" bark. I look out the window and Bubba has this orange tom cat throwing it up in the air and jumping all over it. I ran outside to stop him. The cat got away. I have not seen him since. He could be dead or miles from here. Who knows. He has chased the chickens and chased the goats playing with them. But never this aggresive behavior. Well, except with other dogs. I am worried about him.

He's a yellow lab. 3 years old. I had one before that got all aggresive all of a sudden and bit the neighbors little girl. We had to have him put down. I don't want this to happen to Bubba. Cooper was not fixed. Bubba is. Could he have rabies or some awful country disease I don't know about? What am I going to do with him? I love this dog. He also goes bazerk when another dog comes in the yard. He attacked my friends little Aussie puppy. Also my DD's female Boxer.
Maybe he's just crazy.

Any ideas? I need help here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 07 2010 09:29:45 AM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:24:41 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning kris, what a worry you have. i do not know why he would act this way. i do know that a training collar might help. i have one that i can adjust. this way when they act out you can give them a warning vibration. if they do not respond they get a small zap. my dogs responded good to this. i need to use it on my yorkie boy. he is so loud when we go out to do chores.anyway just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  08:34:58 AM  Show Profile
First off, you told him to "GET" the bad cat, that is telling him its OK! Once an animal starts on this, you will need to completly re-train them. Full obediance training on and off leash, and teaching them to command "LEAVE IT" are very importent. Just because he is a "Lab", does not mean he is a sweet non-aggressive dog, all dogs/breeds have the potential to be aggressive, its what they are taught, or not taught that can make the differance. Good luck

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- my dog got aggressive behavior when she was about a year and a half old. We have worked with her and trained her rigorously and I can now take her to a dog park and have other dogs pestering her and she will just hide her face in my legs or turn her head away from the other dogs. If she does retaliate at all she will stop at a simple "No" from me. A lot of the training was working on basic obediance on leash and not allowing even a smidgeon of wiggle room. When I said heel she had to heel instantly or she got a quick reminder pop on the training line. She is a very sensitive dog and highly intelligent and she "got" it right away. Basically she knows that if I tell her to do something- I mean it or there are repercussions. I trust Sky but always keep a more wary eye out if there are strange dogs around. Perhaps as Bubba is maturing he is growing into his more dominant personality and some obediance training would help reinforce your alpha position with him?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for moving this.

Teresa, I have always said get the bad cat and the little dogs just run around barking like crazy. They never even see the cat and never even go in the right direction. They have never done a thing to my cats so they know a strange cat when they are hanging around.

I guess I need to get Bubba some training soon. If he kills a goat though it will be too late for him. I can't even imagine that happening. There is a place not too far from here that has a training facility. He trains labs mostly. Or I could see where Kelly took her dog. He really needs help for his bad self.

And the collar sounds like a good idea, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Kris, we also years ago, had a yellow lab that turned very aggressive. She had been spayed. She was the best dog ever, to our family, but to strangers and animals, she was a different dog. The UPS guy refused to come to our house anymore.
At 2 yrs, she ended up having mouth cancer and had to be put down. So that was that.
I feel so bad for you. I don't know what we would have had to do if she had lived longer.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  3:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Gena, I have to be here when the electric meter reader guy comes or he will not come down the driveway. I wonder what makes the yellow lab this way. This is the 2nd one we've had that's done this. I just hope he doesn't bite the grandkids.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Please take Bubba to the vet before you make any decisions. Sometimes thyroid disease cause dogs to "turn" aggressive. There could be something else physically wrong with him that's causing him to act this way. Good luck.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Bad Dog Needs Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page