free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  04:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Looking forward to sharing ideas with you. I've been growing plants here in south Texas for a long time. E.g. about 10 years ago I went to a garage sale and got one nice aloe vera plant (a special kind that has broader larger leaves with white patterns and tooths on the leaves, popular here in south Texas and in Mexico). Now 10 years later there are hundreds of them, maybe thousands, all over the yard. That's just one example of many. So far I've been generally very lucky with plants. Sometimes I get sidetracked and just tend to forget all about them, and they just continue to grow and reproduce themselves all over the place! That's been one of the biggest miracles in my life.

My new goal right now is to get better organized, and concentrate on the plants and give them the attention they have proven they really deserve. I have been dabbling at selling my plants and crafts at local "market days" but now I want to get more serious at it and really start a business. I already have a tax number and a name and everything. I've been doing a lot of garden-related crafts.

I also have 11 wonderful chickens--they are barred rock plymouth hens. (That's where my board name comes from.) I've been coming up with lots of ideas for crafts that are chicken-themed. That's really an interesting
realm, chickens!

I work part-time at a bookstore here. Usually my main problem with gardening and crafting has been discipline. Very often I come home from work and just vedge out. I always enjoy myself in the garden, it's just hard to get myself out there sometimes. I guess this is a common problem...what do some of you do to fight this self-discipline problem? I love the "can-do" attitude I've seen here at Mary Jane's Farm. It helps to know that there are many women like me who are doing things like this.

Anyway I'm planning now to get some seed flats (actually I will use cheap aluminum foil pans from the grocery store) and start a whole bunch of seeds this month indoors, for plants like salvia and gaillardia, to sell later. Also I'm weeding out my garden outside. The chickens love to help me do the weeding.

I love my chickens

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  09:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura,
Happy to meet you. You will find lots of things in common with the rest of us I think. Have you had time to look over the many forums on the site? There are lots of us who have chickens too and love to do crafts as well as garden and well um... just vege out on occasion. I think we like to party too and do fun things. It will be fun getting to know you too.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  4:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
Welcome aboard! I wish I was closer to you, I collect chickens/roosters and have them all over my kitchen. Someday, even if I'm old and gray, I will have a few along with a soft brown milking cow, like the one pictured in an issue of MJ's mag.

Have you ever though of tying in a booklet on the healing benefits of aloe with your plants?

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  5:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Laura Sending you a big welcome from another Texas farmgirl. I am near Fort Worth...more later. Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  05:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ya'll! That's a great idea, Kim, and no, I hadn't thought about that. I'm going to really have to get busy.

I love my chickens
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  05:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura - I hope you have read the other posts here about chickens. We even have a guy (!), chickendave, who raises them.

I recently read somewhere that one sign of a good gardener is knowing when to use benign neglect. So your aloe are enjoying the fruits of you letting them grow as they please. You must have put them in the right spot. I have found that my plants will thrive if I find the spot they like best. And if I move them, they get mad and do not do well. In Florida, it is a little easier to let them stay put, as we do not have the hard winters!

We look forward to reading more about you.
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Jules
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Julie
Roswell New Mexico
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2004 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Laura:

Have you ever been to Key West, Florida? The chickens roam free there! They even have a "Chicken Store" with lovely beautiful chickens that would make you smile.

I'm new to the chick chat forum, but I can see it's going to be a slice...

Jules
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from south Texas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page