jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  09:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
My name is June, married to Chris, three children ages 17 and 11 (girls) and a little boy Isaac (age 2). We are a blended family. My husband has three daughters ages 17, and 14 (twins). It is not quite the Brady Bunch, as not all blended families end up with fairytale endings, but we are very much in love and celebrated our three year anniversary this past September.

I am thrilled, elated, ecstatic to have stumbled on Mary Jane and her farm.

I was raised a farmgirl in tiny Marcellus, NY, and of course, through my youth longed to get out into the big world, and by my late 20's longed to go back!

I was raised by my grandparents, so I was raised in a veritable time-warp. I was the only kid in my grade who could tell the difference between Clark Gable and Bing Crosby, and who called the fridge an ice box. I subscribe to Reminisce Magazine, and understand all the references in it. I'm not kidding :).

I cook, bake, sew, knit, am a stay-at-home mom, churchgoer and community member. Right now we're suburbanites, but long for the country life. I'm currently working on trying to get my neighbors together more often, and like management, it's a lot like herding cats. I miss the days of being neighborly simply because people were your neighbors. I always find it amazing that people think I have lots of time on my hands because I stay at home. I can say with all confidence that I have less time on my hands than when I went to work and school full-time.

Before being a stay-at-home mom I worked in Human Resources, where one learns all about people in the most interesting ways.

I recently started a business out of my home pursuing my passion for vintage aprons. You can read more about me at www.dorothyshomegoods.com.

I was the only one in our development to plant pumpkins, and herb garden and tomatoes and peppers in my backyard last summer. When I went door to door to neighbors with pumpkin plants because I had too many and didn't want to waste them, I think they thought I was crazy.

I long to connect with other farmgirls!

June
The Apron Lady

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” --- Oscar Wilde

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  09:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome June! So glad that you found us! We are kindred spirits... I am also a farm girl, born and raised, who now lives in the city...<sigh> <sigh>... PLUS, I am a huge apron fan (love your website!).... see the apron link in the Stitching category....alot of us here are apron fans, and I'm sure you'll have some new customers real soon! I've not been able to pursue it as a business yet, so it remains a hobby. But the farmgals here have given me so many new ideas of things to try that I'll have to make more time to squeeze in apron making once again.

Jump right in and add your ideas and comments too!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile
[size=2]Welcome June,
I can see you will fit right in. I too was a stay at home mom most of the years I was raising children and as with you was busier than any woman I knew who worked outside the home. Just because we choose to stay at home and available to our kids does not mean we cannot have a contributing part in the world. I also had a home based sewing, crafting and reupholstering business, was active in my community and sponsered neighborhood get togethers that usually only attracted 3 or 4 other neighborhood women due to the variations of schedules. Never the less it was fun, enlightening and encouraging.
I visited your web site and thoroughly enjoyed it. The recipe sharing is fun. We do that here as well.
Welcome, looking forward to your sharing. Lots of us wear aprons, make aprons and have old fashioned clotheslines. Many of us grow our own vegies and raise an assortment of critters for fun and food.
Hope your day is lovely!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome June!!!! You will find alot of us "apron ladies" here. We are your sort of people I bet! Not a one of us would likely turn down an extra pumpkin plant!! You are going to fit right in !!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  1:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome June! So glad you found us and by the way I love the name June! I agree that stay at home Moms are plenty busy and your aprons are adorable. I loved the vintage motorcycle babes fabric for an old fashioned apron! Gotta have one or two for my collection. I could wear aprons 24/7!!! Your web site is so cool and your life and family and home sound warm and full. One of my mottos is never turn down the gift of a free plant... I'd take a pumpkin plant anytime! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! It so nice to meet some kindred spirits! It gets kind of lonely here in the burbs :)

June

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  11:59:35 AM  Show Profile
jbartos -
My sister has given me a subscription to Reminisce magazine and believe it or not, I remember most of the things in it too. As a child, I knew the difference between the sound of Guy Lombardo's and Benny Goodman's big bands. My mom must have been in the same time warp, but I loved it. I could lip-sync all of Doris Day's albums! And I saw Gone with the Wind and White Christmas many times.

I still wear my mom's aprons often!
Welcome.

jpbluesky

gosh, I sound like a real geek!

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 12 2004 12:00:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile
JPBluesky... geek-hood is determined by others, is it not? I say you are way-cool! Love those big band sounds! Now those were groovin'!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile
You are right, Clare. We are all extremely cool here. Thank you! :)

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  07:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard June!
I to am an apron lover and collect vintage aprons. I have several of my granmothers as well. As a November baby, I'd NEVER turn down a pumpkin plant (or pumpkin anything for that matter!).

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Peg
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2004 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi. My name is Peg. Born a farmgirl at heart but raised in apartments. My mother used to grow tomatoes, carrots, and lettuce in planters on a patio or front stoop of a building where we lived. She sewed our clothes for years. I scoffed then. Now I wish I had just one outfit as a template, as a memory of her.

I am very new to this. I have never joined a message board. I love MJF magazine. I just read some of the entries and wanted to say hello. Will probably be days before I sign on to the computer again. My husband and boys (4 and 2) are watching football and I am enjoying a few minutes of peace:)

Planted my first garden - 12x12, trying the Ruth Stout deep mulching method. Has anyone else tried this? Not a good year here in NJ, too much rain and my garden is over the septic leach field. I have a lot to learn. Did manage to put by a scant 20 quarts of tomatoes and freeze some broccoli, but we ate everything else as it came up. Turns out, toddlers will eat lettuce if they pick it out of the ground themselves!

Look forward to "meeting" more of you through your words.

Peg
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  06:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Peg. 20 quarts is not "scant"! Good for you! Looking forward to hearing about your garden. I garden also, and mine is small, since I live on a little more than half an acre. I only got twelve quarts of tomatoes, but am still getting cucumbers, peppers, eggplant and my snap peas are blooming!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  07:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Peg. I look forward to learning more about you!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to you too Peg!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Ditto from me too, Peg. I agree, 20 quarts of tomatoes is a pretty substantial yield from a small garden. Gardens are always a work in progress in growing and learning... so just enjoy the experiences, learn from your 'mistakes' and turn mistakes into something creative if you can!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  12:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Peg,
Welcome aboard. I found that toddlers will eat just about anything if they pick it out of the ground. Got all my kids to eat their vegies that way. The problem came when they began to introduce all the neighbors kids to our family garden. Began to notice every kid in the neighborhood helping themselves to my carrots and tomatoes, peas in the shell and green beans. Finally had to put up a fence and have the kids ask first to save some for us.
Happy gardening,
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Jules
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Julie
Roswell New Mexico
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2004 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Eileen -

Putting up a kid fence on your vegetable garden made me think of how children are like small animals - it has to make one smile! You were teaching some valuable lessons: eat your veggies and respect that which is not yours.

I'm new to the MJF forum and look forward to the chats. I can see there are many kindred spirits here.

Jules
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New to Forum Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page