Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how many of you are like me a live in a subdivision with a housing association that doesn't allow clothes lines but I heard something on the radio today that might interest any of you who do. I heard that there is a congressman that has introduced a bill which will make it illegal for States, counties, cities or housing associations to make rules that don't allow Clothes Lines. His reasoning is that it is better for the environment. That is one bill that I hope passes.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  8:44:40 PM  Show Profile
no clothes lines???? people can be so STUPID !!!! jeez

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  9:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Good for him! I hope it passes, too. I can't imagine not being able to hang clothes way out here in the boonies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of this also, sooo stupid is right; I'll bet it will pass!
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:43:16 AM  Show Profile
32 years ago I lived in a apt. complex and they would not allow any one to hang clothes even on their patio's. I think it's because they also won't let you have a washer or dryer in you apt. so your almost forced to use the pay machines. That is just wrong.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile
I was just talking to some friends of mine about this very thing. I think that is taking it too far when you can not hang out your laundry. It is just too crazy I hope the bill passes. It seems nuts that there has to be a bill about hanging out your laundry.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:04:31 AM  Show Profile
If you can't have clotheslines are you allowed to have the umbrella style clothes dryer in your backyard?

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any idea which senator it was? I will get on the phone and call right away. The only way there will ever be change is for us to get behind legislation we agree with.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile
keep us posted on this! I use my apricot tree & coat hangers in the warmer months to dry clothes.....

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank God I live in the country!! Just ordered another 100 ft of Lehman's heavy duty clothesline (along with several other country living items.wink) today.
I hang EVERYTHING! & the only time I use the dryer is when it is a weekly torrential downpour & I have major dog bedding to wash!
Aren't there laws that really need to be enforced, I mean..catch the Oxycontin pusher, not the lady hanging towels on a sunny day.. JEEEEESH!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately I was mucking my horses stall when I heard the report and can't remember the Congressman's name. In my subdivision we are not allowed any sort of clothes line. Fortunately there is also a rule that they are not allowed on your property to see if you are breaking the rules and the way my house sits there is a large section of my back yard you can not see from the street. So I got one of the umbrella style clothes lines and we put it in a spot they can't see from the street. So I have had my clothes line for about 5 years. It would be nice to be able to have a larger one. I really hope it passes and will see if I can find out who the man was that introduced the bill.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Beth if you know what congress district you live in in Houston and if it's state or US, I can find out. I am EXTREMELY active in politics here in MS and will make some calls in the morning.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Ooo, Beth, you are such a rebel. Good for you girl. Twenty years ago I refused to buy a house I really loved because the neighborhood covenants prohibited clothes lines. I just would not participate in such stupidity!!
N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  11:04:32 AM  Show Profile
i have an outdoor clothes line and an indoor one. the indoor one is great for when the wood stove is going and the air gets dry...the wet clothes on the line dry pretty quick and it adds moisture to the air (it goes the whole length of out upstairs hallway)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Beth I gotta ask this!! You can have a horse and barn in your subdivision but not a clotheline? Personally I don't see why people make up these silly rules. If a person wants a clothesline, let them have one. There are a lot more pressing things to be doing than worrying about if a person has a clothesline or not!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile
No we can't have a horse and barn. I have to stable my horses in a different town 12 miles from my house. I bring them home now and then and keep them in the yard but I can't do it for long. Our housing association is terrible. They say we can only have two cats, that have to stay inside, two dogs and no other animals are allowed at all. If they ever came in my house or yard they would have a fit. We are only allowed one color of shingles on our houses, one type of fencing, no sports equipment of any kind in the front yard. No sheds, clothes lines or storage buildings of any kind. We have to have all our paint that goes on the outside of our houses approved and we are only allowed certain kinds of trees and landscaping. If our plants die we get letters if we don't take them out immediately and if we leave our garbage cans out more than two days we get letters. The clerks at the post office laugh whenever we come in to pick up our registered letters because we get so many. If it wasn't so annoying it would be funny.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Clothes Lines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page