Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile
We woke up, but almost too late. I should say "I" woke up. We were twice in a financal bind that took extreme measures to get us out. DH thinks that if you have ANY money in your pocket, it is to spend. Our first problem was in the late 60's. We were so far in debt that we could not make the payments. No credit cards at that time. Just charge accounts. The finance companies would not loan us any more money. "I" dicided to fix the situation. STOP spending money. Food on the table was the only thing I spent money for except bills. After a couple of years, we were able to sell our little rathole of a house and put a down payment on 80 acres. We bought a mobile home and thought we were doing pretty good until layoffs and stuff got in our way and we had our place paid for but not the mobile home. I got it paid off using overtime money. And, STOPPED spending money. We have been retired for 10 years, live in a double wide mobile home (high class redneck trailer house) bills paid and money in the bank. But it took us several hit and misses to finally get it right. If we had been as smart as we are now things would sure have been different. Thing is, it is never too late.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  7:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Loved your blog post and I have to give you a big thumbs up for your honesty. So many people don't want to talk about debt even though, as someone already posted, its the big elephant in the room. Kudos to you for making the decision to work through it and to talk about what you're doing along the way!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  7:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Just remember, use common sense in your spending. I know the classes are helpful in many ways, but if you do not have that kind of money to invest in the classes, you can help yourself wisely without taking it, and save 100.00.

It is kind of like paying money to belong to a gym. Walking and running outside and dancing in your front room are free. You can get in shape without spending a dime.

Consider it if your finances are already stretched.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 29 2010 05:00:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  05:30:40 AM  Show Profile
I too am a follower of Dave Ramsey, if it had not been for his teaching I would not have had an emergency fund to get me through my injury! Now mind you we still have the mortgage to pay, but that's it. No credit cards or other credit debts. It is still a daily struggle since there is no work to be had here in the north country.

Don't get discouraged, keep the faith and stay focused, you will make it through. A diet of "rice and beans, beans and rice" is not bad!!LOL!!

Joanna

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

missmoss54
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Renee
Heavener OK
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  06:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Jamie -
Accidently slipped into this "room" before dashing off to work...so I haven't yet read your blog. But, I will and hope to find helpful information for myself. I had a beautiful garden shop in Asheville, NC but ended up in bankruptcy in 2008 when the economy made a turn for the worse. The promise of "a fresh new start" that the bankruptcy law offers hasn't worked in my favor due to several loans from friends. I've never heard of Dave Ramsey...I'm glad you've brought his name into view. I wish you much success as you go thru the process!

Resident Green Arm
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  06:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, I went to your blog. It was inspiring to read. I remarried an wonderful man a few years ago who had endured a nasty divorce and assumed all the couples debt, giving her most of the assets. We married and, because he had great employment, were not too worried on paying the debt. Then he had two heart attacks. He is 62 and on disability for 2 more years and I am terrified. I will check out Dave Ramsey but I am so afraid that financially we are really in a mess. He had to declare bankruptcy and we need to pay off the land we bought, right before the heart attacks. It is so scary!

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile
All of your stories are inspiring and heart-felt. Thanks for all the wonderful comments, it's giving me lots of ideas I want to address regarding this subject in my blog. But today I just want to say it can get better, much better. As I go through telling you all about my story I'll also let you know many tricks I've learned along the way that Dave doesn't teach to hurry the process along. Also, for those of you who are thinking you need to take his class, we never did (although I recommended it of course if you can and or want to). I just read his book and listened to his show in the late evening on Fox Business network. So I want everyone to remain hopeful and hold my hand as we walk through this together.

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  09:19:46 AM  Show Profile
This is fabulous! DH and I just finished week 2 of Dave Ramsey's course. DH was the one who initially started to listen to Dave Ramsey but we never did much more than listen. Sure we cut back on spending but more out of necessity than anything. Now DH has a new job which moved us to Cheyenne and wouldn't you know it, FPU was offered at our church the 2nd time we attended! We signed up and we just finished our budget this week. We only have 3 debts but 2 are big ones. Mininal balance on a credit card, a motorhome loan and our mortgage. But we too are in our mid-50's and not much has gone into our retirement so we're kind of panicky right now. But it is what it is! Got our baby emergency fund with a bit extra in it and February we are going to attack the debt monster! Woo hoo! Jamie, I'm right with you holding your hand. We can ALL do this. Great post!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, Just read thru some of your blog--and very brave of you to tackle this! Used to listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio and found him very down to earth sensible!! He's had to deal with financial woes himself in the past, he has said, so he knows of what he speaks!! Enjoyed the "plastectomies" when people call in to cut up their credit cards on air. (Does he still do that???) Having dug myself credit card debt holes many years ago, I finally learned that I could NOT spend more than I could afford to pay off every month!! Simple,huh?? Maybe--but it take me many, many years to FINALLY realize that!!! In today's economic times, paying down debt and becoming more independent is a worthy goal. BTW, love Raleigh :-D!!!
Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile
You have no idea how happy I am to find this post! Not that I am glad you all are in this boat but because I finally feel like I'm not in this boat alone! I want so much to be out of debt... the problem is - it is so painful. I have credit cards, a house payment and a car payment. I have hidden the credit cards so I won't use them until I get them all paid off. That is one of the reasons I can't join the Sisterhood yet. I want to but have to wait for a bit until I get an extra $20.00. But I am here now and I feel like a huge weight has lifted! Thank you so much!!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  4:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane, you can do it! The hardest thing for me was putting all the debts on paper and then facing it! Then we just started the "snowball" thing and it worked! You get a totally different mind set. Good luck, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just did something that might seem like an expenditure to some but I think it has given me a good tool- I signed up for a credit monitoring service through my bank (Wells Fargo). They sent me this great book that has my most current credit report, then it breaks my credit report down by each item on it saying how it is hurting or helping my credit. There are things on there that I can dispute to get off since it is over than 7 years old and there are things on there that are small that I didn't remember (but I do now!) that I can call and get taken care of right away. It's a good feeling! I think I am going to go through with some high lighters and designate pay now (Pink) pay next (Yellow) and work on last (green). Then I am going to do the snow ball/cannonball thing where I pay off one and then the next and the next. I like to think of it as launching big heavy destructive cannonballs at my debt! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  12:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
I promise you can do this! Just hang with me. By the way, where are you in MO, my parents live in Perryville. do you know where that is? Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  01:02:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't know Dave Ramsey, but getting out of debt is always a good intention. Me too. I have a little debt PTL. Just about 300 dollars but to ME that is a lot!! NEVER was in this position before so... But trying to get by with the little I earn is hard now that prices rise and wages don't.

I realise I might be in a luxury position with the "little" debt I have though.

HUGS to all and you guys rock, really you do

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  01:04:19 AM  Show Profile
OH and I DON'T have a credit card, so no debt there PTL. Just "overspending" a bit duh. But as I said, earning a small wage and with the high cost of living..that is SO easy to do isn't it. I mean you need groceries...

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee: that sounds like a worthy expenditure to me if it really wins the war!! Ladies, this can be done step by step.
OT but Marian I have to remark on how beautiful your blog is!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol, for liking my blog. I like it too lol :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile
Jamie - I do know where Perryville is - but I ma on the other side of the state. Clinton is about halfway between Springfield and Kansas City. I appreciate all the words of encouragement!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile
We are so there. We don't have much debt, but because my dh's business is slowly going into the dumpster, and there really aren't many jobs available where we are, we've been dipping into savings to make ends meet. Our debt is low, but it's still scary having it hang over us and not knowing if we'll have enough money to get us through. I just finished a Larry Burkett book, and want to get the Dave Ramsey. I'll be checking in, Jamie. And I'm praying for you, too, to succeed. You sound like so many of the farm girls - just determined and stubborn enough to make it!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Bernadine I hear you girlfriend! I was married 25 years the first time and than remarried 11 yrs ago. He is a wonderful and loving husband, But he was married 25 yrs and served in the Navy 22 yrs. When he divorced he had to pay his EX 1/2 of his retirement from the Navy. For the rest of her life. When, God forbid, something happens to him, she will continue to get his entire retirement. I will get nothing. So Dec. 15 he gets laid off from his custodian job for the school system here in PH. I've not able physically to work right now and he being almost 61 yr old, he's not getting any response from his resume's. We have nothing to fall back on at all. When unemployment is gone I don't know what we will do. We were ok with 1/2 of his retirement and what he made for the school. We didn't have alot of extra's but we were happy. And we felt that we were where God wanted us to be at that time. We are strong in our faith, but it is so difficult right now. We just can't see a way to get out of this. Emotionally, Tom feels like he is a failure and I feel that I'm letting him down because I can't work right now. And haven't for a few years dealing with this back problem and fibromyalgia. And it takes the two of us to see that mom (85) has what she wants and needs. She lives along, but just up the street. But I told Tom that as long as we are there for each other and give each support, there's no need in taking on blame that we can't help. Diane, hang in there sweetheart, you are on the right road to recovery. Dave Ramsey is excellant and you will do great. I'm also proud of you that you see this now and can make the changes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page