Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry Next Topic
Page: of 2

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile
I've decided to do something which is a little painful to do, that is discuss my husbands and my financial debt and the journey we have undertaken to not only get out of debt but be mortgage free as well.

I feel like I'm airing my dirty laundry for the world to see but my hopes is to help others out there who are in the same boat we were.

I put up my first post today on my blog. Every Wednesday I'll continue to outline the steps by step actions we've taken to get out of debt.

Please don't judge me too much when you read...Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, my husband and I discovered Dave Ramsey's teachings 2 years ago. It's a total paradigm shift, but it's SO worth it! We are debt free and have no car payments, but we're still working on a fully funded emergency fund. It's tough because at the same time that we were going through the class we were also trying to sell a house with a severely upside down mortgage in South Carolina. It took two years (we just sold it in September with a short sale), but we are now mortgage free and renting while we wait for our credit to rebuild from the short sale. So, here we are 30 years old and kinda starting over. We have three children and it is hard to realize that we don't own a home and aren't even close to owning one and let's not talk about retirement...ha! But, I'm glad we realized the err of our ways now and not later, know what I mean? It's so good of you to share your story on your blog because it may help save someone from making the same mistakes that a lot of us have made. Thank you. :)

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan,
Thanks so much for the kind words. Remember what Dave always says, "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else." Don't worry about where you are compared to where others think you should be, they are probably in debt.

I'm proud of the great work you've done! Jamie

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:53:28 AM  Show Profile
I noticed you mentioned Dave Ramsey and I've been trying to listen to him. I'll be more than happy to follow along with you, absolutely no judgement involved. We've been backed into a corner, too, and we're in our mid 50's, so here we go together.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:39:34 AM  Show Profile
They offered the Dave Ramsey course at our Church. I would love to follow along with you. We are also in our mid 50's and my husband works so hard and I am the spendthrift of the family.
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who is being so kind. I'll be posting every Wednesday on the blog so if you want to come along for a debt-free ride you can sign up to follow me there. LOL Jamie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie- my husband and I are about the same age and while we don't do the credit card thing we have other debts on our record that we are working to get fixed. Currently my husband has several garnishments against him which are paying down his debt. That was a hard thing to have happen- it's been happening for several years and just when we had gotten what we thought were the last ones taken care of- here comes some more! Ugh. I need to check into the Dave Ramsey program. I have only heard good things about it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  11:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Dave Ramsey made such a huge difference in our lives. We took his class a few years ago, became debt free and never looked back. Now if we get tempted to spend money we don't have, one of will say "What would Dave do?" and that has kept us out of trouble. Good luck Jamie, I'll be following your blog, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2901 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2901 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Love Dave Ramsey too. I was lucky, as I made more this year, but paid off 15K in debt, have the $1000 emergency fund & now have 3 months in savings for living expenses in case of emergency. Hubby just quit driving his 89 Corolla & bought a new(HAHA) car, a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero, he paid cash $2500. We will never get a car loan again, & no more credit cards either.
I am an appraiser, & if I get a check for only 1 appraisal(typically $175 to $355) it automatically goes to savings. If it is for more than 1, I put in my checking.
In December, I think I had 3 or 4 checks that were for only 1, so that really helped.
Dave is fun to watch because not only does he have those that are really in trouble, but he also has inspirational successes. I saw a couple the other night that made 30K annual & paid off 35K in debt in 2 years. WOW! I find myself watching Dave in prime time instead of typical prime time programming.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2901 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2901 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile
OK Jamie, I just looked at your blog & your son is beyond handsome. Why, oh why, do boys get the longest lashes know to man???
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  1:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I am so loving all of you Dave Ramsey fans! It just fills my heart to hear all the success sories from those of you who have or are in the process of getting out of debt.

Thank you Lisa, my son looks like his dad but acts like me. I think he got the short end of the stick on the latter.

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile
I am very interested. We only have one card, Lowe's. Small car payment that we will pay off with tax money. So I am interested in the savings. I will be checking in with you, too. It's so good to know there are others trying hard to get out of debt. Thanks for bringing this up/ I know it will be a big inspiration to me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  3:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin,

I know what you mean. The whole debt and savings is like the elephant in the room for many of us.

Hopefully by airing my dirty-debt laundry others will feel brave enough to address it.

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Jamie-
Just checked out your blog! I love it! I am looking forward to following your progress becoming debt free!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I have you on my blog list and quickly devoured today's post. Thank you for sharing it!

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:01:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm a bit older than you, 62, and we thought we'd done everything right. We owned our own home, had two paid-for cars, money in short-term savings, and long-term retirement investments. Then the dot-com bust, followed by the 9-11 and Enron crash. We lost virtually all our retirement. We still have a paid-for home, the same two cars (several years older) and my dh works part-time at WalMart. We will retire in a couple of years on our SS and his VA compensation. Not the future we had hoped. You have many more years to turn it around, and I applaud you for waking up and getting busy. Good luck and God bless.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:58:16 PM  Show Profile
You guys should read the Richest Man in Babylon.

http://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Babylon-George-Clason/dp/0451205367

Its only like 5 bucks at Walmart. It is a great book thats actually fun to read.

I havent read or heard Dave Ramsay. We built up some credit card debt this year because of a huge paycut and a whole slew of medical bills. This is the year for payoff for us.
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Roxy,
Read the book a few times, good recommendation. You have got to follow along if this is the year to get out of debt, his advice is extremely effective.

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Where is his radio show available?

This is the first year I have had any debt in about 15 years. I spent 7 years working for my brother in laws accounting firm and he is a financial genius. I get lots of free advice. I just have not been doing what I know I need to do. Its been hard when you arent feeling well, to let things pile on. Debt is my enemy and I must defeat him! lol.

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, I looked at your blog and it's great...I will continue to read it. I've been working on paying down my debt for about a year. I've a long way to go, but I've paid off some bills. I googled Dave Ramsay and his advise seems sound and makes sense, especially the paying off the smaller debts first, then applying the additional money for the larger bills (snowball effect in baby steps). Everyone who's in major debt have a lot of company. Most people are in that boat, if that's any consolation... I will follow your progress and pick up some tips. Thanks!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Jan 28 2010 07:02:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile
The library is a good resource for his books, and every so often he runs a special on the radio program.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I also used Dave Ramsey. And last month made our last, stupid stuff debt payment. It is wonderful to be out of debt, but at the same time, I have not realized it yet. Because all of the money that went on payments, is now going into savings. We did not blink an eye, but rerouted our funds, and now, well, THEY ARE OURS. Wooh hoo! Trust me, there is an end in sight, and NEVER NEVER give up, you truly will get there. One bite at a time.
Sheri

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Jan 28 2010 12:32:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Sheri! I'm so happy for you. I know we will get there. We've made such a huge dent in our debt already. At first we thought it would take 2 1/2 years, then we got it down to 2 years. Now we believe we will have it done in 1 1/2 years!! Yeah. I'll be going into that in more detail on my blog in the upcoming installments. Jamie

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Let me tell you ladies though. Just because you get rid of debt does not mean that you won't ever pay stupid tax again. Trust me. We've had a couple stupid tax bills this last year. Sucks, but with an emergency fund it doesn't hurt as bad. :)

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:36:36 PM  Show Profile
I have heard nothing but good things about the Dave Ramsey series. It has been offered twice at our church. Hubby and I still have a credit card (Dave says to cut them up) but we pay the balance every month. We try to be very frugal, but there is always room for improvement. We have not taken the classes because they cost 100.00! I think we can figure out how to be debt free and save 100.00. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  2:26:42 PM  Show Profile
It is good to have so many people that understand and are supportive. I am now more motivated to start with Dave Ramsey.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm Airing My Dirty-Debt Laundry Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page