melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  11:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Have to lower my cholesterol significantly within the next six weeks per Dr. Beth's orders or else I will have to go on medication....

I don't know where to start and need some ideas... pretty please!

Thanks!

Melody
Farm Girl #525

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  2:42:06 PM  Show Profile
There are different reasons for elevated cholesterol levels. Sometimes diet can help to reduce it. There are several foods that naturally reduce cholesterol in the body.
Almonds, about 6 per day helps. The monosaturated fat in Almonds reduces cholesterol. It also brings down the LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Artichokes help by increasing bile production. Bile breaks down cholesterol.
Apples: a whole apple, skin and all, will help too. The pectin in apples is a soluable fiber that helps reduce cholesterol.
Barley is another soulable fiber. The pearl type is better.
Substituting black beans for meat will increase fiber and reduce animal based cholesterol intake.
Flaxseed is high in soluable fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Whole flaxseed acts like a laxative, ground flaxseed gives the cholesterol lowering and omega-3 fatty acid benefits.
Ginger and garlic are also great additions to your diet.
Honey instead of sugar and tomatoe sauce too.
The biggest helper is Oats. Steel cut oats, oat bran, and oat flour. Oats pretty much suck the cholesterol out of your body.
Many of the cereal makers want you to buy their product buy saying it has oats and oats reduce cholesterol. They are NOT saying their product will lower your cholesterol. Be care about being a victim of advertising.
So how do you put this all together?
Try Steel cut oats with 1 tbs honey ( the real stuff, not that watered down want-to-be honey in the grocery stores )and a sprinkle of cinnamon and ginger for breakfast ( more cinnanon than ginger ). Add an apple and tea for a good breakfast.
Morning snack: 6 almonds
Lunch: sautee onion and garlic in EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil ). Cook up a mixture of pearl barley and quinoa for your grains. About 1 cup cooked. Grate in fresh ginger and cut up snow peas. Mix together and top with a little low salt Soy sauce.
Or, try mixing edSeasoned kidney beans for chili with diced tomatoes, tomatoes with green chilis and pinto beans. Awesome as a chili dish! I add tofu grated up for a little extra benefit.
Afternoon snack: try a little atrichoke on a high fiber cracker. Top with a touch of brown mustard. Have one serving worth of crackers with artichoke for your snack
Dinner: There are high fiber pasta's that have little impact on your glucose ( low glycemic )now. Add tomatoe sauce from a jar or make your own. I take about 8 plum tomatoes/ person. Cut in half, brush with EVOO and lay open side up on a cookie sheet. Cut up a sweet onion and fresh garlic and lay arond the tomatoes. Bake for about 1 hour at 350. Take out of the oven and put in a blender. Blend until rough consistency. Add a pinch of Rosemary for a warm comforting flavor. Serve over your pasta. A garden salad with a Balsalmic vinegar/ EVOO dressing on the side goes nice.
Skip the bread and butter. Not helpful for lowering cholesterol.

Have fun and be creative!
Good luck!

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  3:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! Thank you so much Debi...I am going to highlight your reply and tape it to the fridge!!

Melody

Edited by - melody on Jan 26 2010 6:58:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  7:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Glad to help. Have to go back to school for spelling. Wow! I have lots of other recipe ides if you want. I find the Asian
and Indian meal combinations make it easier to incorporate all the good cholesterol lowering foods.
Lots of water and stay away from diet drinks.

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Low cholesterol recipe ideas?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page