Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Does anyone hear do foster care??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Does anyone hear do foster care?? Next Topic  

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  5:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi! We have been foster parents for 6 months now and have an almost 8 month old baby girl. We are loving it so far, but would love to hear stories from more experienced foster parents, and how fostering has been for you. We are hoping to adopt, but also hoping to help as many babies as we can.

Would love to hear how fostering has gone for you...Thanks!

Michelle

www.snowberryfarm.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  9:02:07 PM  Show Profile
WE did foster care and ended up adopting 4 of the 7 kids we fostered, (and "keeping" one that we count as a son although adoption was never an option..he is 25 now)...none babies...all were at least 3 years old when they came in our family. It has been a wonderful experience for us and a great way to expand our family. I can't imagine our family without these kids!
As far as the foster care experience...I learned that all caseworkers tend to "candycoat" what they tell you, the best way to get info is to talk to someone who really knows the kids and will be straight with you. I also learned that some kids just need certain families to be at their best. In many cases you get what you expect. If you set your kids up for success and expect that, many times you get it.
I hope you have a wonderful foster experience. The world needs more great foster parents!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  06:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Michelle--My husband and I just became licensed at the end of December. We have no placements yet. But, I'd like to stay in touch.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle,
We did therapudic care and day care for foster kids, then foster parents. We ended up adopting one of our foster kids (13 years ago).... I was a foster kid, so it felt like full circle. So often we hear of the horrors of foster care, but there are so many amazing successes as well.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses! So far we are loving the foster care experience, and our baby is so cute!!! It is a slow process, but if you just focus on the children and not the drama surrounding them, that keeps me centered. Thanks again, so far I would recommend foster parenting to anyone who has the desire in their heart for it. Blessings!
Michelle

www.snowberryfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  9:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi!!
we were foster parents for a few years. We actually just adopted our 3 foster kids in Dec.09. They joined our family in 07, at the time, they were 16 mths, 4mths and 4yrs old. It was quite a shock to get three children (they are bio siblings) all at once, but they really fit into our family wonderfully. Our license closed after the adoption was final, but we hope to add onto our house next year,and reopen our license to help more kids in need.
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  2:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I have been doing foster care for 10 years. I love having the Kiddos, but like Aunt Jenny the caseworkers can sugar coat. We have adopted 8 of the kids and have a new placement, sib to one we adopted. I want to be a safe place and a voice for these kids. I am not fond of the "system", but enjoy my job!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  3:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I were foster parents also. We had to do that in order to adopt because we wanted to adopt from the foster care system. We fostered for about 2 years and then were able to adopt those kids. They weren't infants, so I don't know how that aspect of it goes.

Anyway, we took WONDERFUL parenting/foster-parenting classes through our state's DSHS program. If you've ever heard of PRIDE classes, take them! We learned so much that we never would have known otherwise.

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/kristenparkinson
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Does anyone hear do foster care?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page