Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cream Cheese Crusts Next Topic  

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  05:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
So, I made the chicken pot pie from the Feb/March issue last night for dinner and it was REALLY good! The cream cheese crusts were simply amazing!

I do not have a food processor so I put the flour and salt in a bowl, chunked up the butter and cream cheese and added them to the flour and worked them into the flour with my fingertips. Took a little while (less than 5 minutes) but it worked! The dough came together really well!

Now I can see adding a little sugar to the dough to make it kinda sweet, baking them off and putting them up on top of some stewed/baked fruit such as blueberries and blackberries or pears and apples! I think I'm going to have to give it a try!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  05:35:33 AM  Show Profile
LOL Candy...my hubby said the same thing, that they would work great in a sweet application. :)

I added 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan to mine, so they had a bit more savory flavor for the pot pie.

I have guests coming for dinner tonight and I think I may be making it again for dinner. I think it's totally guest friendly, don't you?

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  06:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan,

I think it would be a great dinner for company! I love the fact that there are so many different veggies in there. I'm always looking for ways to incoporate more of a variety into our diet. Let us know how the guests like it!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  08:15:42 AM  Show Profile
I agree! Not just peas and carrots. I love that when my boys think they're just eating peas, carrots and potatoes that they're getting yams and parsnips too! I love parsnips!!!

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love this recipe- it is going to become a staple in our house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  7:53:30 PM  Show Profile
These sound so good. I am going to try them!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  05:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Candy, I forgot to tell you that one of my dinner guests the other night (the guy, of course) asked, as he was wolfing down the pot pie if the crusts were Pillsbury or something. LOL! You can imagine his expression when I told him they were made from scratch. I sent his wife home with the recipe :)

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  06:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by clothedinscarlet

Oh Candy, I forgot to tell you that one of my dinner guests the other night (the guy, of course) asked, as he was wolfing down the pot pie if the crusts were Pillsbury or something. LOL! You can imagine his expression when I told him they were made from scratch. I sent his wife home with the recipe :)

That is too funny!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile
I have my MJmag open to the page for the cream cheese crust. Plan to make turkey pot pie the day after tomorrow. Today we are having turkey and all the trimmings for grandson who just graduated from college and moving to Phili PA to work and go to school some more. Tomorrow night is another grandson and wife and kids. I'm making my Chinese (by request). I think the next night is going to be pot pie with cream cheese crust. Yum, can't wait.

Soibhan, your story reminds me of a friend of my Mom and Dad made the remark about Momma greenbeans. He said they were almost as good as store bought. Almost???

Belle
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Saw this recipe when I got my first issue of MJF a couple days ago and knew this was the first one I would make...now I'm really excited to try it out!

The comment about "is this Pillsbury?" is hilarious!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cream Cheese Crusts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page