Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Maggie
Laval Quebec
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody!
My name is Marguerite but just call me Maggie. I am from Quebec Canada. We are a french family but bilingual. I am new at this but having read a lot of posts I am sure that I will find new ideas and I hope I'll be able to share some of mine too. We are trying to be the most self reliant that we can in my household. Unfortunately, we live in town but we hope that as soon as our youngest is finished school that we will be able to move out of here on a small land. I am hoping to be able to grow my own vegetables. My hubby is very good at finding old machines like lawnmowers and barbecues for example and fix them up. Our nextdoor neighbor thought this spring that we had a new bbq! When I told her that Paul had find it in the trash, took it home, painted it and replaced the grill for a mere 6$ she couldn't believe it. I was glad because the only thing wrong with it was a spider web in the gas hose blocking it. Our bbq works and look like new. Another thing that won't be in our dumps! I sew, embroider, knit, paint and do most of everything we need. My french mother as shown me a lot of the basics and I am trying to do the same with Anne-Marie, my daughter. I find it important to be able to provide with what we need ourselves.
Glad to be part of the team and look forward to learn new things and share too.
A la prochaine, Au revoir, Maggie

Be real and simplify!

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, you sound like a treasure among us! Welcome! We Americans often forget that Canadians possess the same pioneer spirit that we do. I look forward to hearing about your life in Quebec. And I also anticipate we will learn a lot from you!

I know so little about Canada, but we love you as a sister country so much! Educate us!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 13 2004 3:50:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour Maggie Will be looking forward to hearing all about your life in Canada. Perhaps I will dig out my old French textbooks and try a little French. I live in Texas. Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for joining us, Maggie! As an Idahoan, I should have made it into Canada before, but I never have--45 miles away is the closest. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your sharing (got some French cooking tips?), and getting to know you!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  7:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Maggie! You sound like alot of fun. I am looking forward to hearing about life in Canada too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  9:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Maggie! I wonder if we're distant cousins??? My father's family is from the Trois Riveres area, having immigrated there from France. His branch of the family later settled in Michigan; but I feel strong ties to that area. I keep thinking I MUST visit Quebec as part of my geneaology explorations, so if/when I can swing it, maybe we can get together for a cup of tea!! You sound like you are "one of us", Maggie, and you will feel right at home here, I'm sure. Lots of us like to "rescue and repurpose" items, too. Glad you found us!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Maggie
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Maggie
Laval Quebec
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  3:24:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Welcome Maggie! I wonder if we're distant cousins??? My father's family is from the Trois Riveres area, having immigrated there from France. His branch of the family later settled in Michigan; but I feel strong ties to that area. I keep thinking I MUST visit Quebec as part of my geneaology explorations, so if/when I can swing it, maybe we can get together for a cup of tea!! You sound like you are "one of us", Maggie, and you will feel right at home here, I'm sure. Lots of us like to "rescue and repurpose" items, too. Glad you found us!

Hi Clare,

Thank you for such a warm welcome
. We are not only probably cousins, we are cousins.... In Quebec, as you surely know, everybody's ancestors are from France. Here, 90% of the population is french speaking. When you cross the border from New York State, you will only see french road signs, our products are all labeled in french and english and to protect our heritage, a law was passed about 20 years ago that only french signs are allowed outside shops but almost everybody in Montreal and the surroundings are bilingual. I worked part time once for an information centre in Old Montreal and a lot of Americans and Europeans found that it was like being in Paris but at a fraction of the price. This has made me laugh a lot because being born here, I don't realize the difference but having been in the States quite often, I find it weird to see english only...It's been nice writing to you..and forgive me for the errors in my wording.
Prends bien soin de toi...that means, Take good care of yourself
Bye bye Maggie

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Be real and simplify!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Your English is just fine, Maggie... I surely would need a translator should I visit.. I guess I could bring along my French/English dictionary that I bought just to enterpret geneaology documents with! Being fluent in more than one language is a gift that most of us U.S. citizens have missed out on. Count yourself lucky!]

Edited by - Clare on Nov 14 2004 4:20:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Maggie,
Just want to add my great big WELCOME to you as well. I will also be looking forward to your posts. Some of the most wonderful people post to this site!
You sound like you will blend right in.
I have never been to quebec either but I have been to France. All my years in French class in school did not help me much with the language. I think that I would have learned it better if I had been taught by a french person. My oldest son took french all through school as well as in College and had an opportunity to be an exchange student there but decided against it. Not sure why exactly. His first few years of french in school were taught by a french woman who grew up in France. It was definitely an advantage.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Maggie!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  07:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour Maggie!

I was in Quebec City last summer over the Quebec Day holiday. They were also having their vote the next day, so I was handed some voting stickers with the fleur de lys on it and a saying in French: Tonight we party, tomorrow we vote! It was a wonderful festival. I absolutely love the culture there, and wish I could have gotten to the countryside. The people are very friendly! I would love to come up and spend a summer in Quebec learning french, though I know this is different from international french. But the basics I'm sure are the same.

I noticed that wild game featured prominently in canadian french cuisine, please share any recipes with us if you use them. We look forward to learning more about you.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  4:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Maggie bienvenu! Donc content vous avez trouve' ce site. Le quebec est si beau. Je toujours ai voulu visiter la-bas a' Noel avec mon mari et aux filles. MOn plus vieux Lauren de fille est un commandant francais dans l'Universite' et elle a aide' m'ecrit ceci. J'espere c'est correct. J'aime votre histoire d'arranger de jonque et le faisant utilisable. Nous avons un sujet appele' "les Histoires de JONQUE >> que vous apprecieriez. Nous tout crit en ne gaspillant juste dans ici! Les meilleurs Souhaits, MeadowLark Jenny de Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Jenny!!! You're awesome, what a way to great our new friend!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from Canada Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page