Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Why am I called Farmgirl in training?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Why am I called Farmgirl in training? Next Topic  

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Is it because I don't have a farm yet? Just curious.

Julie

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  11:29:53 AM  Show Profile
Of course not, darlin'! It's a cute little "rating" system based on the number of posts you've sent to the board. You're the first person (well, I don't count) to post more than 10 posts! Congratulations! Hmmmm.... I wonder what the next step is, and how many posts you have to make to get there...

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Well, gee, if I knew there was a competition ... <bg>

I figure I'll always be a "farmgirl in training," although I haven't reached that designation -- yet. For me, it's a matter of juggling home, kids, volunteer activities, and work (which includes working for someone and my own business). Right now, having just moved into a new house about six weeks ago, I can't even find the time to get everything unpacked and feel settled. And both my parents are ill, somewhat seriously. Which means the odds of getting a garden in this year are somewhere between "slim" and "none"! Sigh ...

But the sun is finally shining after days of clouds and cold. So I'm trying not to complain.

Take care, all,

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  2:21:28 PM  Show Profile
How about farmhand for 100 posts?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  5:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!

This is all new for me (using email - I usually write letters the old-fashioned way
with pen and ink). Anyway, I am just getting back into the "farmgirl" lifestyle, or
trying to. My husband isn't quite into this lifestyle! We have about 1 acre in a
suburban area, but I'd like to get back to my dream of a 5+ acre farmsite and have
a few chickens, etc. Right now after some health problems last year I'm planning
a garden again - just basic to start. I'd like to hear from all you other "urban
farmgirls" especially in the Great Lakes area. Thanks to MaryJane for her support!

Cece
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile
ok...now I have to post just because I don't know how many posts I have. Less than 10 I know...
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Tracy

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  11:18:13 AM  Show Profile
PJ,

Congratulations on making it to Farm Girl in Training! How fun to see what will be next.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents being ill. That sure can take a tole on a person. Just keep dreaming of your garden.

Best to you,
Tracy

Nobody should have to share their water with a duck! DH
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  5:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Looks like a couple gals are getting close to the next farmgirl title! Oooh what fun. Any bets to see who will get there first?

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  07:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi all farmgirls,

Ooh, I haven't been to this forum for awhile. I see now how the rating goes, I just made it to true blue farmgirl! I am having so much fun at this website, learning from all of you. Hope to hear more from everyone, don't be shy! I was at first, but this is too much fun not to join in!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
I am very excited to be part of this group... It is amazing how many cool woman are here to share and dream with...I was alittle worried about the rating last night too.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Terese! So glad that you've joined us. I look forward to your participation! Please tell us more about your flower farm!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  08:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
I am a small scale cut flower farmer. This is my second year in operation and it is much more successful this year. I have subscriptions to the farm and on fridays each customer puts their bucket outside there door and I deliver a bouquet. I also deliver produce and herbs as the season permits.
I am a floral designer for 20 years and spent 2 years organic farming. I am nervous and excited and grateful I have found all of you.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  08:50:49 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea!!! wow..that would be so "worth it" to subscribe to such a service! -Set a bucket outside my door, and open it to a bouquet! How cool is that!?!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile
terese...I love the idea too...I bet you will be so sucessful!! I have always had a u-pick or subscription service sort of garden (or a neat farmstand with herbs, flowers and veggies ) as part of my dream. Maybe someday.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Thanks ladies..this is so reassuring to hear from like-minded women.
I needed the positive reinforcement today...
It rains alot in ohio lately.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  2:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I re-read this topic from beginning to date, and it really spoke to me of how genuine all the women who come to this site are. I love reading about your hopes and dreams. If I could put a bucket outdoors and find beautiful flowers in it the next day, I would love that. Reminds me of putting out the gallon glass milk bottles and getting cold milk delivered the next morning. Days gone by....

However, I must give my husband credit. On week-ends, I will walk into the dining room to find a wonderful bouquet of flowers from our yard. He is the flower grower; I am the veggie gardener. He has black-eyed susans, plumbago, pentas, salvia, hydrangeas, and four o'clocks blooming right now.

I think as long as we pursue the dreams we have, the simple way of life will never die. MaryJane certainly feels that way, and has used her blend of simple living with savvy marketing to succeed. If she can, we can too!

My dream is to have a home-based business. My talents are quilting, gardening, and photography. I am still praying for the wisdom to see how those could work for me.

Love the fresh flower farm idea!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  2:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
This is truly addicting..I have been running back and forth to see who is on and what they have to say. My idea was truly based on the milkman..thanks for noticing jbluesky...Egg man too. He was a family friend forever and 35 years later I still see his son he cuts down trees on my property.
We all long for the good old days.
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
A few years ago a friend bought me a journal and on the front was this weird little story...
Eleana puts her hand on her wide hip and gives a big sigh"Where is everthing today?"she asks and looks out into a yellow field where her house used to be, where her garden used to grow. "I guess I'll have to start again". And then she sat down to invent a new world, a better one. One that lasts.

So you see never give up our dreams just keep fixing them to be better and you will obtain your deepest goals....as long as we believe
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing that journal entry. I have been feeling alot like that lately. Going through growing pains again, I guess. Getting ready for a new adventure.
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  01:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

This is Carol, Design Director and Associate Editor of MaryJanesFarm magazine. I'm writing my first posts to the forums tonight. As I said in another forum, I haven't had time to post yet, but have really been enjoying all of your posts!

I notice on this one that Terese is from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Well, Terese, I'm from Medina farm country, which is just right next door! Do you know it? Even though I've been here in Idaho for 30 years now, that Ohio countryside is still in my heart. My brother and his family still live there, so I get back occasionally for visits. Even with all the rain you've had lately, I still long for those wonderful Ohio summer nights.

I also noticed that jpbluesky mentioned a fresh flower farm as an idea for a home business. Well, my friend Jane Stratton here in Moscow, who has a wonderful flower farm for weekly deliveries and u-pick flowers too, will be featured in our upcoming magazine, "Country Roads." The next issue you'll see (on sale in about 2 weeks) will be "Hands," but I'm going to start working on the "Country Roads" issue next week, and it will be on sale in November. I think you'll enjoy reading about Jane's business, and how she sent her kids through college by pouring her heart and soul into this little business, and in a small town too!

Take care farmgirls!
Love, Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  09:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Dear Designerbee Carol -

I know all of us love to hear from any of the staff at MaryJane's. And to know the next issue is so soon to be released is exciting!

And the title is "Hands"? That makes my mind go in a million creative directions. So it must be a great issue! Cannot wait.

I mentioned the fresh flower business, but it is another person who posts here that actually has one. I cannot remember her name at the moment, but we were discussing ideas on how to create a business and still be on the farm. I look forward to the article you mentioned in the next issue. I did post that I collect antique real photo postcards - in our local paper today was an article of a writer who took his collection of old photo cards and wrote a book around the life stories he envisioned of the people who wrote and sent them. Once again I had that feeling "why did I not think of that?" There are so many things we could do "at home"....I am praying that my niche will come along soon.

Keep posting - we love to hear from worker bees at MaryJanes Farm.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  3:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Carol..
Yes I am very familiar with Medina farm country..I have some friends there myself. I am actually (perhaps) the one who posted about the flower business. I was in the floral business for 22 years, then had 4 children, did some organic farming..then made the connection of why i was sent on that path.
Two years ago I started flower farming with a subscription busines, it combines my love of flowers with my love of the land. I am looking forward to reading about your friend. I too need to help send my children thru school so I am putting my very being into this adventure.Thank You all for finding me I love love love this site.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Why am I called Farmgirl in training? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page