Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Making deck like another living space?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Making deck like another living space? Next Topic  

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a large deck and then it wraps around to our front farmers porch. The farmers porch has a couple of comfy chairs and table which needs painting. I would love to make the deck part more like a "room". It gets morning and mid day sun, and gets quite hot at that time. Currently, we have a grill on one end and table chairs on the other end. Against the house we have 2 loungers and table. How can I make it "pretty", but not have to be fussing about waterlogged stuff. Right now, we have nice cushions for the two loungers which we keep in our bdrm closet off the deck. The sun is very strong here and it's very windy here also - umbrellas get very bleached fast. The real biggy - is that I don't want to spend a bunch of $$. I'm thinking of hitting more yardsales this spring and looking for some wicker furniture/shelves to hold plants. Any other ideas? Are there types of tableclothes i could make that wouldn't mildew or sit wet?
We did have a pretty birdfeeder until the bear got it's paws on it.

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile
please oh please, does anyone have any ideas for me?
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Ideas? I think we are all so envyous that we can't think. I have a screened porch and deck off the back of our house. I buy yard sale furniture and make just like a room. I just had to get rid of a runner rug that I bought several years ago. Was perfect in front of the porch swing. It was getting ragged and the cats finished it off. So will be back to the garage sales this spring. The deck overlooks the pond. It is uaually decorated with beach or pool furniture and "things".

Belle
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Absolutely buy yard sale that way if the weather ruins it after a year or two replace it. Old braided rugs or tapestry will define an area. Crates make great plant holders or used for a coffee table. Just use your imagination and have fun with it. Thrift store finds are also a great inexpensive way to decorate without spending a lot of money or worrying what might happen to them. Just make it comfy and homey then sit back and enjoy.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://www.grammasladybug@blogspot.com
http://www.klamathfallscharmingchicks@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  9:08:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to figure out how to make a futon mattress water proof. Maybe I can make a big ole duvet cover for it out of vinyl tablecloths? Oh well, here's to making decks functional for actual living. :-)

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the ideas. The deck has no roof, but i figure if i make it soooo nice, maybe hubby will want to
build some type of roof on it. We don't need screens (no mosquitos). Maybe buying some cushions at yard sales and
then covering them with vinyl tableclothe type stuff - we have a sewing store here 3 floors high and out back, they
have a building with remnants, etc. for really cheap. I think i'll sketch out some ideas/make some idea lists, then
keep my eyes open for yard sales. I love hearing what you all have done for your spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
I live on my deck as soon as the snow is off...I am hoping to add another section to make it a bi level. It's like having another room!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I want to build a bi-level deck too Rea =)
I need more out-doors living space and IF I can get the land lords to ok it, my new addition will be bi-level wrap-around to connect my too porches. I want to screen in my back porch and roof it over to add another three season living area...wow! ...That will have to be after I paint the house.

Bea ~ Yes please do look into yard sales and places like free-cycle and Craiglist for low cost additions to your soon-to-become new room. It can save you a bundle.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Bea I have a wrap around deck too and It is blame hot in the summer so I had a awning installed. It was well worth the cost. I sleep out there in the summer at times. It is fun to watch the Star Shower of Persies in August.
How about one of those, I don't know what they are called, kinda like a canopy people have picnics under out in their yard. If your deck is wide enough and you could anchor it someway that might make a cool room. I may try that too. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  04:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Marybeth, did you have a "roll up" kind of awning installed? That would
be good, because as I said - the sun just bleaches everything. Do you put a outdoor rug, etc. and what kind of furniture/accessories do you put out? I am going to put lots of plants this year - I have the seeds already to start and will do window boxes on railings with nastursem and a vine perhaps, then other plants around - things that LOVE sun. I think I will see if they have vinyl or outdoor fabric at our huge fabric store. I'm thinking a "tote" box prettied up could hold moisture proof cushions, etc. and then I'm going to look for interesting
plant stands, etc. Thinking on the rug idea - we have special decking that bleaches out with age and so if I put something down in the sun all summer, I could have a rectangle on the deck (have to think about that one). I do own a canopy 10 x 10, that I thought we could try out on the deck if we stablized it to see if we would want a awning (that would just be even better). I'm just going to become a yardsale maniac this spring! Thanks for all your great advice. I'll let you know the ideas I put into action.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  07:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is a roll up awning attached to the side of the house. I also have a table with a large umbrella. I had an area ruf but the dogs chewed the edges and now they lay on it. But I have a table and chairs and a chaise loung that I can sleep on. But I do roll back the awning when it rains so that doesn't help with getting stuff wet problem. But it is wonderful on hot days.
A trunk of somekind is a great idea to hold cushions and stuff. I am going to have to look into that.---The garage is getting full.---Yard sales Here we come. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Making deck like another living space? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page