Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Movies and Traditions Next Topic
Page: of 2

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  03:57:33 AM  Show Profile
PICNIC!! Yes - many, many times. The local station used to play a great movie every afternoon that I'd watch when I got home from school. They played that a lot, as well as lots of Troy Donahue!! Anyone seen Parrish, or A Summer Place?

I'm not sure about the new Robert Redford movie. Looks depressing, and I just don't "do" depressing anymore...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Under the Tuscan Sun was so good! I ended up buying that one...and I have about 80% kids movies! I try to only buy movies for me that I really love since I tend to not get a chance to watch them much anyhow..but loved that one for sure!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh Oh OH!!! Other "Picnic" fans!!!!!!! I LOVE that movie! A Summer Place is another great one. I always considered "Picnic" kind of obscure. has anyone seen "Love with a Perfect Stranger?" Natalie Wood, Tom Bosley, & Steve McQueen.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Loved "Summer Place"! Wouldn't it have been a nightmare to have a mother like that? Love Tuscan Sun! My absolute dream home, complete with the guy she married! Has anyone seen "Peyton Place"? More 1950's morals bashing!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I used to watch Peyton Place - the movie, not the show. Reminds me too, of Imitation of Life. That was my grandmother's favorite movie, I'm told. It stars Lana Turner, also.

Know what you mean about Tuscan Sun - the guy she married was real - not the "creepy Italian".
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Another one I watch everytime it's on and "Return to Peyton Place"> Did anyone ever read the book "Peyton Place"?

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
I read Peyton Place, but so long ago - high school I think.
I was at a furniture store a few years ago and saw the book, All That Heaven Allows on a shelf, for decoration. I asked if I could buy it, because I've loved that movie all my life, and they gave it to me. It's right next to Good Morning, Miss Dove on my shelf...
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you!!!!!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  5:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I sat down this afternoon and watched The Bridges of Madison County -- one of my all time favorite love stories. And, yes, I cried through most of the last hour!!!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I took my Mom to see Bridges of Madison County when I was a senior in high school. I squirmed real good during the sex scenes. Not something I needed to watch with my Mom!

Now that I'm older, I can appreciate it more, but back then, all I wanted to do was run and hide!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Next time you watch The Bridges, watch for flies. I especially notice them on her kitchen walls. I read an interview with Eastwood and he said they were so terrible that year they couldn't keep them outta the location shots. Just a little more trivial FYI from me...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:05:00 PM  Show Profile
KAY>>>night before last I sat and watched Bridges of Madison county while I embroidered...I lvoe that one too..you know what i love is her front yard fence. You can't get that kind of fence wire any more..I checked...I would have it if you could!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  07:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- you and I are just alike. As I'm watching the movie I'm looking at all the vintage stuff in her kitchen. And I too love the fence. There is a house in town that has the whole yard surrounded by that kind of fence. If they ever tear it down I'm going to ask if I can have it. I just loved watching the movie for the scenery because it reminds me of home in IL. Seems like I watch it when I'm homesick (which I am because it's been a year since I've been to IL) and then that makes me cry even harder!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  09:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I love the fence and the vintage wallpaper in the kitchen!!

Now I AM going to HAVE to go watch it...nothing is getin' done today!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Sep 15 2005 09:33:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile
I think that's why I love all those "period" films, I'm so busy looking at the settings, clothes, dishes, etc that I get lost in the time and want to move right in. Don't you just love Sarah Plain and Tall and the sequels? I want to go visit those kooky Aunts in Maine myself!
Does anyone remember a mini series on A&E quite a while ago about two sisters who were dressmakers in post Victorian England? It was set in the Belle Epoque and Flapper era and the clothes they designed were exquisite! I looked at every outfit they wore, discussed because the sewing was phenominal. The younger sister was named Evie but I can't remember the name of the series! I'm having a senior moment that seems to be lasting!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Do you mean House of Elliott? I just added that to my queue in Netflix a week or so ago. It looks really interesting, and A&E/BBC productions are always SO beautifully done! I'm really looking forward to it. :)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I have watched Bridges several times, and each time I see something in it I never saw before. I have told this story before, but my hubby and I visited the Monterey mission ranch that is owned by Clint, and the Kincaid Photography truck was in the parking lot! I sat right in it, on both sides, knowing that Meryl and Clint's bottoms had sat in the same seats! Corny, huh?

Anyway, I love to look around the bedroom when she is in the upstairs. It is so much like the farmhouse my grandparents had. They are rooms seldom visited unless for sleep, and so they are quiet and sanctuary-like, yet so down home. And the windows throw a different view of the farm, being up high; I always loved to look out the bedroom windows in the afternoon on my grandpa's farm.

So, in Bridges, when she looks out the window at Clint washing at the pump/well.....I think that is so sensuous and yet so real! :)

That would make a good essay article - "From the Farmhouse Bedroom Window".

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 15 2005 12:36:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Jp...You are psychic! My recent mailart I am sending is outside and inside a farmgirls window! I am going to send you one just because...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Every Christmas eve it is "It's a wonderful life" Love it! I think my all time favorite movie would be "My Favorite WIfe" with Cary Grant and Irene Dunn. I also love 'The Farmer's Daughter" with Lorreta Young.
Katherine Hepburn is also a favorite. I guess I am a black and white girl. Though I do love "The Emperor's New Groove" It crack's me up!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  07:40:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Celtic Coyote! Hugs to you! Yes,yes that is it! The story line is fine as I recall but it was all that period clothing that just drove me to distraction! Enjoy it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:05:11 PM  Show Profile
I'll stop and watch anything with Cary Grant, William Powell, Myrna Loy and Katherine Hepburn.

I love It's A Wonderful Life and used to drive the family crazy when it would play 20+ times over the Chirstmas season. My all time high for watching it one year was 27 times.

I also like The Thin Man movies, TO Kill A Mocking Bird, CAt on A Hot Tin Roof, THe Long Hot Summer, Hello Dolly.

God bless the TCM channel.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  9:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Two faves back to back: "How to Marry a Millionaire" and currently "Niagra"

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Movies and Traditions Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page