Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all,
The topic of big band music came up and I got to thinking about a couple of things. One, as a child I was exposed to a lot of big band music and swing or jitterbug dancing. My Parents would give about one dance party a month in our tiny living room where they would dance all night to big band music and do the jitterbug and other swing dancing. It was a family affair getting ready for one of these parties. We all had to chip in and move the furniture out of the living room and dining room, roll up the Olsen Rug and help clean and polish the hardwood floors. The dining room chairs were lined up along the wall and the guests would begin to arrive at about 8 pm just after my baby brother and I were sent to bed.(BUMMER) We would always sneek down and watch anyway. The big record player with the doors that opened up would be started and out came the records. Our house was a rocking bopping music hall for several hours.
This triggered another memory.
For as long as I can remember my favorite movie of all time has been "It's A Wonderful Life" with James Stewart. When this became available to watch on video our neighbors who had a vcr would invite us to come watch it during the christmas holidays. After that when we got our own vcr we began the tradition of renting it to watch after thanksgiving dinner. Anybody else have a similar tradition with a favorite old movie.
I love the old classics and have recently rented a couple wonderful old movies on dvd from our library. A great thing about technology is that these old classics are being made available again and with commentaries to enhance the experience.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile
What wonderful memories! "It's A Wonderful Life" is my all-time favorite, as well--so many lessons on so many levels are there. I always watch it around Christmastime but it would be fun to associate it with a more solid tradition, like decorating cookies or stringing popcorn. I'm not a big movie buff so I tend to watch the ones I like best over and over if I'm in the mood to sit for a movie (which isn't often--I need to take up handwork or something so I don't feel like I'm wasting time sitting and watching). I also like most of the variations on "Pride and Prejudice" that I've seen, and I *love* Emma Thompson's version of "Sense and Sensibility." Recently we subscribed to Netflix and we've got several old movies on our list that will be coming.

I love your memories of the dancing--did your parents teach you to dance once you were older? My only exposure was when I lived with a foster family--well, all their kids had grown and gone so it was an older farmer couple who had lots of time for me. The dad would put on records and teach me to waltz while the mom would sit with her oils and paint--though it was a difficult time in my life, they made me feel important by doing those things with me. Years later I was able to teach my dh to waltz, and whenever I can get him to dance with me it makes me think of that family and how good they were to me.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  7:35:03 PM  Show Profile
I love "Its a wonderful Life" too!I think I would be very suspicious of anyone who didn't love that one! I also love "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and My all time favorite movie is "country". It is an 80's "mom saves the farm" movie. I could watch it once a week. I love Gone with the Wind too..gosh all the old ones like that. I grew up with my dad and his John Wayne movies..now my grown boys and my husband love them. As far as traditions, we always watch "Its a Wonderful Life" (on video) while we are decorating the Christmas tree.
How fun to have the dancing going on when you were young. I didn't have that sort of experience at all. My parents always listened to country music, but I don't have an especially musical family and no one danced much that I remember. I love to sing loud with the radio in the car, but no one else would care to hear me..pretty bad! My oldest Daughter is taking piano lessons..and she is the only musical one so far at home. I would love to play the piano and the violin. I have my grandpas violin...someday maybe I will get to that.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  09:09:06 AM  Show Profile
My favorite movies:
On Golden Pond
Dances with Wolves
It's a Wonderful Life
The Horse Whisperer - for the scenery and romance!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  6:03:10 PM  Show Profile
You guys like all my oldest and most favorite movies!! Another of my favorites that I could watch or listen to (depending on what needs doing) is "Murphys Romance" with James Garner and Sally Field.
I'm with you Nikki, I can not just watch a movie! I have to be making something too.
The Dancing I think was Moms way of getting the floors done regularly!
She used the party as her excuse. Actually she and my father won some dance competitions during the depression and war time. My father was a welter weight prize fighter also during those years. From all the stories I have heard form relatives, You would not want to be sitting beside my mother during one of my fathers boxing matches 'cause she would give the one nearest her punch for punch as my dad was fighting!!! I did learn to waltz and do a few other simple dances but by the time I was old enough to participate they were no longer doing it. My mom went to work full time and I became the chief cook and house keeper in the family. My sister had married at 15 and moved around with her airforce hubby.As a freshman in highschool I did take up jazz ballet for 3 years and participated in track. I still love to dance!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Your memories of dancing and rolling back the rug are so warm, and reminded me of my childhood. My family lived very modestly but put on some record on my mother's Magnavox Hi-Fi and we could be waltzing in Vienna or having a hoe down in Texas. My Mom loved music and she splurged and joined the Reader's Digest music club and would recieve a boxed set of LP's every three months of the "World's Best Music". My sister and I would move the coffee tables back and turn our living room into a ballroom. It is amazing how we all seem to have these collective memories. I also can't get through the Holidays without watching "It's A Wonderful Life" 5 or 6 times. We pop it in the DVD when decorating our tree, sipping hot chocolate after sledding, baking cookies, and Christmas eve wrapping presents late for the kids.
My favorite movies I never tire watching are; Out of Africa, Dr.Zvagio, Jeremiah Johnson ( I'm a big Redford fan) The Bishop's Wife, and for laughs Private Benjaman.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on the Robert Redford fan base...I'm also a Kevin Costner movie buff.... Of his newer movies I really liked For Love of the Game, which is a baseball movie and draws me spiritually closer to my memories of my father who was a big fan of baseball... I also liked his recent movie Open Range. Gorgeous scenery, a bit violent, but I guess the West just was in the 1800's... and I especially like the strong woman character that Annette Benning played.

I remember my mother putting on records to listen to on Sunday afternoons and evenings. That was her down time to relax. All the big sounds of the 50's and 60's.... what nice warm memories.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  08:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - Well, confession time for me on the dancing issue! I had a sister 8 years older and she watched American Bandstand every day. I became an eight year old teenie bopper. I would grab the doorknob of one of the living room doors, and I would do the lindy with that door for hours. I could swing away, and it would not drop me unless my hand slipped off the knob! Mom and everyone started calling the door my date, and we named him Stiffy Shortarms. We did a lot of dancing together over the years. Real partners are hard to come by when you are 8.

My whole family had to live with my dancing a lot. We had a small house, and I eventually became part of a dance company in my teen years. I danced through my days growing up, and the family kind of watched TV around me when a musical number came on.

So, when you are a kid, who needs fancy games when you have a door nearby and "At the Hop" starts to play?

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 15 2004 09:00:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile
You guys just make my heart sing!!!
Stiffy Shortarms!! Now I haven't laughed like this in ages!
I think I love you all!!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh...Murphy's Romance..I havn't seen that one in awhile..another one of my favorites.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2004 :  09:03:22 AM  Show Profile
I must have missed this thread when our computer was down for two weeks and I was home recuperating from surgery! We don't rent alot but I sure know what I like! Out of Africa has got to be one of my all time favorite, I even played the musical soundtrack when I gave birth to my son, it is just the best!) How's that for a tradition?!I love all the movies everyone mentioned but It's a Wonderful Life rates right up there this time of year! And we decorate the tree while it's on too!
My Gram used to like to play all the old songs on her piano for us when we would be there for Sunday dinner but this was the 60-70's.
So, one of my wise alecky cousins brought her some sheet music he was studying for guitar and asked her to play it. Well you haven't lived until you've seen your 78 year old grandmother play Purple Haze or INAGODADAVIDA! She was a good sport and after that we all brought our instruments and started playing together a nice mix of old and new and I certainly learned to love big band and ragtime music because of her.My son has joined the Jazz band at school and their first big number ? Count Basie's April in Paris! Good things are ALWAYS good things!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2004 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Ooh! I love "Out of Africa" too. I always wanted to have an adventure like that -- "I had a farm in Africa..." (minus the syphillus)! I loved the book too. Robert Redford was pretty dreamy I just saw him on a commercial last night and thought he still fits into the oldy but goody category right there next to Willie Nelson and Sean Connery.

Back to holiday movies my favorite Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story". My boyfriend just bought a beebee gun, god only knows why, and I keep telling him "you'll put you're eye out!"

I love being able to take a break and pop into some fun conversation! You guys are great.

xoxo Taylor
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2004 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile
I was watching "Out of Africa" one day while I was pregnant. My husband came home to find me weeping. I tried to tell him that Robert (Redford) had died; he couldn't understand and kept thinking something was wrong with the baby! He finally "got it" after I kept pointing to the TV! I'm with you Taylor, Robert still does it for me, Sean too!

Now, for holiday movies: "It's a Wonderful Life", "White Christmas" (my sister and I can still reinact the "Sisters" act from the movie), "A Christmas Story"(love the brother who is so bundled he can't move his arms, and, of course, "you'll put your eye out"!) and "A Muppet Christmas Carroll"!!!
Go to Top of Page

ShawnMarie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

ShawnMarie
Dauphin PA
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  5:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ShawnMarie an AOL message
Been awhile since I posted... but this caught my eye. "Murphy's Romance" is one of my all-time favorites. Love the part where Sally Field shows her ex how to check the horses' teeth and says, "Some horses resist this procedure." Hee-hee. Good woman.

"Christmas in Conneticut" is probably my favorite holiday movie, followed closely by Holiday Inn. I did not see "It's a Wonderful Life" until about 10 years ago... and I do like it, but I've been watching the other two for much longer. Also love all the sappy romances on this time of year, I watch them every year and it is just part of the holiday - sitting on the floor, wrapping gifts and watching the "oldies but goodies."

My all-time favorite holiday event though is watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Makes me cry to watch it with my daughter and remember when I was 4 and saw it for the first time. So glad something so simple like that is still around for her to see amid all the modern mess they show now.

**Expect Pleasure**
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile
We have to watch all the "sappy romances" (love that!) 'cause my DH is the one who loves them!
He watches Casablanca and actually gets all weepy. Holiday Inn, It's a Wonderful Life, all those movies too! Nothing like being snowed in and watching those movies. We also like "On Golden Pond", but I like The Afican Queen. I think it's the old costumes I like - such romantic looking clothes. Of course, now that I'm "older" my tastes have changed. Robert Redford is starting to look pretty good to me, whereas when I was younger I actually liked the older actors, such as Stewart Grainger.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2004 :  11:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Whenever I watch an old movie with Cary Grant, I still swoon. What class and so handsome! Sometimes I notice the "current" actors are kind of like a mix of old hollywood stars. George Clooney strikes me as a mixture of Cary Grant and Clark Gable.

I think Redford was at his most attractive during the "Jeremiah Johnson" era. Whoa baby.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2004 :  3:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Just get a look at Robert Redford in his catalog from Sundance.com Whoa baby, if you're close to his age!!!

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2004 :  4:07:29 PM  Show Profile
On golden pond! What a good one. I think I have always loved and admired Katherine Hepburn. Checked out everything I could find with her in it a year ago after my first knee replacement. Out of africa is another of my all time favs.
My traditions for christmas will be quite different this year but I am looking forward to it anyway.
I found a great gift for my daughter that I can hardly wait for her to get. I am so excited about it I almost slipped up today!!
It is
"The P.D.R. for herbal medicines" I will have to get one for me next.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2004 :  9:03:20 PM  Show Profile
I caught "Bobby" Redford last week on the tube in "Downhill Racer". He played a washed up Olympic Skiing hopeful and general bum, but olala that guy was and is HOT! I had a huge poster of him as the Sundance kid in '69 at the age of 13. The guy is ageless.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2004 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
You are all too funny! Indecent Proposal was on this weekend and oh my my!Although a smarmy premise, that man in a tuxedo is none too shabby! And yes , I do get the Sundance catalogue, nice to know there is substance to the guy as well. I went to Sundance in the early 80's when it was primarily land preservation focused and it's nice to see that the objectives and the course of the place have remained fairly true to the original plan. I guess Butch and Sundance did alright for themselves!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Last night I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. "Dances With Wolves" was on TV. Today, I am still in that place of big spaces and pristine land and people who knew how to live on it in balance. I love that movie!!!
So romantic, and so beautiful....and the music is great.
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile
In total agreement with you there, Jeannie! Kevin Costner got that one soooo right. It does just "take you away", doesn't it? Nice place to be...

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Just checking in with this topic, re-reading and got a great idea. Have to get a copy of "Casablanca" for hubby's birthday next Sunday - he loves that, but we don't have a copy.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile
It's been many months since anyone visited this topic, but I love movies and so many of my favorites were mentioned here. And yes, I'm a BIG Robert Redford fan too. Love the Sundance catalog, love The Horse Whisperer (watched it last night), Downhill Racer, just everything with him. I also love On Golden Pond and Out of Africa! As for movie traditions, on New Year's Eve, we have watched The Glenn Miller Story for so many years! We watched it pretty recently, too. The boys love it. Other favorite movies - The Four Seasons, Something's Gotta Give, Under the Tuscan Sun. Many more...
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:31:50 PM  Show Profile
KJD!! You are my long lost twin! Love the movies you listed! Has anyone ever watched "Picnic"? Buff Bill Holden, Kim Novack. Came out in 1956 and was filmed in parts in my town. The house scene of Cliff Robertson's dad is just down the road from where I live! My mother when barely pregnant with me when to see the filming at the old mill and river downtown...I can say I was there...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  11:04:28 PM  Show Profile
I love Robert Redford. Out of Africa is one of my favorites. He has a new movie out with Morgan Freeman. Can't remember the title but it looks good.

Kevin Costner -- For Love of the Game -- excellent! Field of Dreams -- one of the best!

KJD -- The Glenn Miller story is one of my hubby's favs and mine too. I bought it for him for Christmas one year and we always sit down to watch it together. He just thinks June Allyson is the cutest. And I just watched Under the Tuscan Sun last weekend. Makes me want to go live in Tuscany (except for the scorpions and snakes).

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Movies and Traditions Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page