Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A wonderful awful idea...maybe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A wonderful awful idea...maybe Next Topic  

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I have an old barn on my property. I think it was designed for goats or something. It is fairly low, stalls are too small for horses and it is in generally poor repair with no foundation at all, barn was built directly on some rocks. Anyway, I am a lover of old barns and have thought of every possible way to save it. Jack it up and pour a foundation under it? Ive been told that it cannot be done. Open up the loft to make the ceiling taller? Cant do it, its structural. So Ive come to the sad conclusion that my crooked little tumbledown barn will have to come down.

So here comes my crazy idea. Some of the lumber is in great repair and can be used on other projects around the farm. Part of the barn is sided in that narrow old fashioned siding they used to use on houses. I am putting it up in the house as wainscoting in the kitchen. It will be so cute to have the weathered wood inside.

I am going to try to make things out of the weathered lumber and the rusty metal and sell them to raise the funds for my new barn. I am calling it "The Phoenix Project" and I am going to be blogging all about it. I am going to take photos of the barn to include with the items and a little about what we are doing and why. Maybe even some photos of the horses that are going to be living in the new barn. What do you think? Is this a good idea? My goal is to make enough to pay for the new barn!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:07:17 AM  Show Profile
what a great idea!! good luck!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile
OOOh Sarah... that sounds great! I love reusing stuff from old barns!
I wish you well on your endeavors!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Sarah:
Your ideas sound good to me. I had to laugh when I read your post describing how short the building was. We bought a camp out in the swamps years ago. The sinks were so low! To wash your face one had to almost get on their knees. What a hoot! We had to tear out the entire bathroom. I guess the people who built the camp were really short people. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Good idea, Sarah. I wish you luck. I'd like to do that with our little goat barn. It's very short in certain places and I always forget and whack my head. It's also really thick cut oak and hard as metal. I cannot get a nail in it to save my life. I don't think it will ever fall down. I would love to have a real barn.

I would love to see pictures. Where in Ringgold do you live? We lived on Davis Ridge Rd. for 3 years. Off Mt. Pisgah Rd.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Wonderful idea! I once saw a truck bed made from old lumber from a barn that had been torn down. I love the rustic look of old barn wood. I've always dreamed of having a dining room table made of old wood. Can't wait to see what you come with.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, I am not in Ringgold anymore, we are now just north of Dalton, probably just the other side of 75 from you sort of. We got this place from an adorable couple Jug and Tootsie. I miss having them as neighbors! Ive found all sorts of stuff stashed around this place. I found a 40's tricycle in the barn!!! Its all rusty and mankey but I LOVE IT! You should come over for coffee sometime. :) You can teach me all about chickens.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  6:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I live in Plainville Ga and I work in Dalton...We have been here for about 2 yrs. we have had some things happen (health and money wise) not to be able to do anything as of yet to the farm we live on. It is 10 acres and 2 fenced pastures. I would love to come and see the horses.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  6:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh how fun! Deborah, I would love for you to come by. :) I envy your acreage. I only have half that. :)

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, this sounds great. I remember visiting a Kansas farm and they had a low slung barn like this...falling down and whatnot. The family just left it out like that, they didn't have the heart to tear it down, and just built another barn. The mother explained that it was her great-great grandmother's the founder of the property.

I asked her why the ceilings were so low and she said: "Honey, people were all tiny then!"

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: Jan 17th ~ Suzanne McMinn/Chickens In the Road

www.bigtownfarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  04:09:13 AM  Show Profile
sounds like a grat and fun way to use the lumber !

http://www.tribalhorse.blogspot.com ..... http://www.tribalbarter.blogspot.com ( items for sale here )
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  10:06:56 AM  Show Profile
My dad always used up everything, he took some lumber from an old barn that was falling down and used it in some of the apt's he owned. He used it in the bathrooms for the walls. Once word got out and people saw it the guy who offered dad all the wood changed his mind and used it in his house.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A wonderful awful idea...maybe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page