brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:30:43 PM  Show Profile
I've been experiencing a lot of heartburn recently. I've read that medications like Nexium or Prilosec or even Zantac can help temporarily, but if overused will tend to make the problem worse.

So, I haven't been taking anything, have scheduled a doctor appt. next week. In the meantime I got some advice to take a tablespoon of vinegar when it happens, but I just did and it doesn't seem to help too much, still burning.....

I've also got some asthmatic bronchitis as a result of the flu last month. Taking prescription penicillin and prednisone for this, and the combination of the heartburn and bronchitis is really getting me down with chest pain. Hurts to breathe.

Anyone have experience with this? It doesn't seem severe enough to visit the hospital, and another trip to urgent care facility prior to my doctor's appt seems like overkill too. But I need to make it through till Thursday....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:34:43 PM  Show Profile
I had it really bad in my pregnancies and my midwife had me take liquid chlorophyll supplements for it. It worked wonders and was also full of good stuff for my body! I hope you get some relief soon. No fun :(

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey...I just realized how close you are to me :)

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  8:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Brenda,
Also, you can try digestive enzymes before going to meds. I think they work awesome.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Brenda- I suffer from GERD and have been to the Dr's many times. All they want to do is cram meds down my throat or do surgery, neither is an option in my book! Drugs like Prilosec inhibit your stomach from making acid and eventually messes with your body being able to digest food and asorb the nutrients properly. I have had to give up some foods I really enjoy, like coffee! I don't go too long in between eating, if I do then my stomach begins to sour. Don't over fill your stomach with liquids, it pushes the acid into the esophagas. Also if you can raise the head part of your bed up about 3-6 inches, DH put blocks under the front feet of our bed and it has made a world of difference.

There are so many things that can cause this problem, if it persists then go and see your doctor.

Also I have not used the enzymes, but have looked into them. There is also a product out there called DGL, it is a licorice pill and is a natural digestive aid. I do use this product and it does work for me. Licorice is great for the stomach but in large amounts will raise your blood pressure, these pills have that element taken out so you don't have to worry about high BP.

For me this is a problem that will never completely go away and I must manage it as well as I can to prevent worse problems from occuring. Hope I have helped a little.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  07:55:19 AM  Show Profile
I would eat some really good yogurt or Kefir. Your digestive system is especially out of whack with the antibiotics. Also, some systems are alkaline, some are acidic, & both can cause GERD, so the vinegar may not work for your system. Experiment with different things, like lemon water & if your stomach can take it, cayenne pepper, as it is one of the best things to stimulate digestive enzymes.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile
There are many things that may cause reflux. Some of them might be helped by diet changes and some of them may be mechanical aka hiatal hernia that could cause the stomach acids to come up into the esophagus. Not only is this uncomfortable but it can be dangerous if allowed to go unchecked for long term. I am not a doctor though I do work in healthcare. So I hate to poo poo anyones experience or ideas but just off the bat I am thinking vinegar is acid, the problem is stomach acid and it doesnt sound like a good idea, though vinegar is a miracle and I noticed that it is listed as a heartburn cure all over the internet. I know a lot of us try to stay off medication but I would urge people to take this seriously and there are medications out there for a reason. You may have an ulcer as well. In that case acid or spicy things can make it much worse. I would avoid acids and spicy foods as well as chocolate etc. Eat small meals and try not to eat right before bed. Prilosec, nexium and zantac can help you get over the current symptoms and make you comfortable until you can get to the doctor. I would most certainly consider taking them because they do help. You arent planning to overuse them are you?

Chamomile tea, or ginger tea can be useful. Are you under stress with your recent illness?

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jan 15 2010 08:11:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile
There is a lot of good advice here. I have had gerd along with ulcers for years. Eating smaller amounts at one time and avoiding fatty foods helps me. I also stop eating 4 or five hours before I lay down. The DGL is great. My doctor told me to get some and it gives very quick help. I take a nexium occasionly but only if I am am really bad. I think taking the medications that stop the acid from being produced in the stomach leads to other diseases from lack of absorption of nutrients. I have a hard time with anything thats vinegar based. When I was having lots of pain the best thing I did was eating very small portions of foods that were easy on my stomach for a few days. If you only eat one food at a time it also gives you a chance to see what agrees with you personally. Hope you get to feeling better soon. It can be really painful to deal with.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  6:13:34 PM  Show Profile
When I had acid reflux, I discovered that it was aggravated by eating meat--especially anything fried. I just started avoiding certain foods and eventually it went away. It's been so long since it's bothered me that I can't remember which foods seemed to trigger it. I still eat meat, just not much and I go easy on fried foods. I think eating smaller meals, more frequently is a good idea. Also eat lots of fruits and vegetables--if you have a juicer, drink some juice. Apple-carrot juice with a handful of greens can work wonders. I hope it gets better for you.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, my DH went through quite a spell of having heartburn all the time with acid reflux. He took GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and it really helped him, it doesn't taste good but it works. It kills the bad bacteria in your stomach. He has taken it after having food poisoning also and with in 30 minutes he was a changed man.
Another thing we use is Colloidal Silver. That is awesome stuff. You take 1/4 teaspoon (straight-not diluted) and put it under your tongue then wait a few minutes and swallow it. It kills viruses and bacteria in your system. The strength of Colloidal Silver we use is 500ppm.

Hope this helps with your GERD issue.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!
I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Lots of good advice here. I'm sorry, I posted at night, then we went out of town for a couple of days, so kind of left you girls hanging!

The bronchitis turned the corner on Saturday, I am still coughing but it doesn't hurt so much. Have finished the antibiotic so if it is making the GERD worse hopefully that will get better too. I think I am noticing that coffee tends to make it worse, so I will cut back on that. Also, being off work for the weekend seems to affect the GERD -- I am not having near the burning sensation. Stress?

A girl at work mentioned that an ER doctor told her to drink cold Coke for asthma as it dilates the bronhial tubes? Crazy! I tried it, I can definitely feel them reacting but can't tell if it is getting better or worse....

I had bariactric surgery 10 years ago, so cannot risk anything that will make my body less able to absorb nutrients as I already have a permanent "malabsorption" condition... have to take supplemental vitamins and minerals. So it sounds like the Prilosec is not a good option if that is a long-term effect. Thanks for posting that warning.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic GERD? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page