FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Ok... every summer my family treks up to Cape Ann, Mass and it is the magical place we all wish we could stay forever. We go into town in the mornings and stop at this little Bakery called Alexandra's. They have these huge scones that are the best thing I have ever eaten in my life! They are a sort of cross between a scone and a croissant. They are flakey and moist. They are crammed with huge cranberries...YUM! Ok, sorry I am going crazy craving one right now. Does anyone have a recipe for something like this? All the scone recipes I have are for the hard crumbly traditional scones. Don't get me wrong those are good to...but I am home sick today and dreaming of a "Summertime Scone"...

Can anyone help???

FreckledNiki

Visit My Blog at
http://FrecklesandAprons.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  7:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I don't have a recipe but they sound so good!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  9:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe you could call them and ask for the recipe since you aren't a local?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Niki!!!!
How did I miss you??!!! You live in B'ville??!!! I'm about 45 minutes from you, do you know where FairHaven and Sodus are? My SIL lives in B'ville on River Rd. and my FIL and his wife also live in B'ville! This is so exciting, a farmgirl who lives near me!!!!
I'm sorry I can't help you with the scone recipe, but it sounds so good, if anyone finds one, they have to post it on here!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  2:49:25 PM  Show Profile
This is our favorite scone recipe. The scone is moist, not super dry. I add walnuts too.

Dawn in IL

Cranberry Orange Scone

Ingredients

* 4 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
* 2 tablespoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
* 3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
* 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup cold heavy cream
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk, for egg wash
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
* 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy! Combine the dried cranberries and 1/4 cup of flour, add to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick. Flour a 3-inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough. Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles.

Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, and drizzle over the scones.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I hope you are planning to send us all one of these scones now that, like pavlovs dog, Ive begun to salivate every time I log into this forum thinking about your scones.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:52:57 PM  Show Profile
My 2nd daughter spent about 2 years in Wales with her husbands family. She does make scones occasionally- but I have never tried hers! I will ask her for her recipe and see how it is, if they are good I'll post it here- although it may take a few days.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  07:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all who repied... I will try the recipe this weekend! Monday is our anniversary so I thought it would be fun to have "Summer Scones"(The name my daughter gave them since we only get to eat them in the summer)

Visit My Blog at
http://FrecklesandAprons.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile
LakeOntarioFarmgirl,

Cool to know that a Farmgirl lives so close... I live so close to your SIL... I live like a mile from River rd! You will have to tell me the next time you come out this way, I will have you over for Scones and Tea ( or diet soda since I don't drink tea...lol) What a connected world we live in!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic The Best Scones EVER Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page